Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 875
1 members and 874 guests
navane

Old 08-06-2005, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by christiangirl
Kinda weird to me, I always wonder why are they there? Do they have a case of negrophilia or what?
negrophilia? What the hell type of word is that?

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 08-10-2005, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by syrinx
This is not true.
What divisions are the HBCU schools in when they chose not to integrate in the 1970's?

The SWAC?

Some of the schools did integrate, like Tennessee State, but that was made manditory in the 1990's to keep their accreditation...

Show me your proof?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 08-10-2005, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueReign
-philia as an appendix generally means that someone has a love for/appreciation of a particular thing. In this case, someone with negrophilia would have a love for/appreciation of black people/black culture.

A good friend of mine runs a blog called Negrophile.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueReign

I'm with you, I was like wtf?? You might as well say coloreditis or something like that. I'm definately not feelin that word.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
We had a number of whites at my school, a lot of them in the Education dept with me. I actually got along with them a lot better than some of the negroes I had to deal with (this is mainly because they were older and more mature).

Also, they can get a minority scholarship at an HBCU.

But, on the negrophilia thing, so if a black student goes to, say, Harvard, or Yale or something, does that make them a caucasiphiliac? No. A school is just a school. Who cares if its an HBCU or a PWI??? Just get your degree and get a job!

Why would it be strange? Is being around black folks so unheard of that these whites that go to an HBCU are some strange species that needs to be discussed and investigated?

*Not mad, I just don't see the relevance of the discussion*
Old 08-11-2005, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to msn4med1975 Send a message via Yahoo to msn4med1975
We always had one student a year at Fisk (Fisk is tiny so had it been ten we would have fallen out) that was there on a transfer basis. They were just ours for a year then someone else came in. They were always cool, had a good time and felt all depressed when they had to leave because we are small family there as a result of its size. We didn't fund them because well we just didn't. Our last president was actively recruiting students that were not Black. That, amongst other things I think, is what got her "fired." I don't think the majority of students would mind a smallish number of non Black students but as a whole most students are concerned with losing that Black piece and it becoming a historical moniker. Alumni giving is actually up for us and now that I got a grown up job they will be getting an annual check from me as well.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little_0ne
I'm with you, I was like wtf?? You might as well say coloreditis or something like that. I'm definately not feelin that word.
I'm glad to see that I am not alone.

I used to wonder why I would see white teachers coming to my school to teach. The school where I was teaching is 99% black with about 85% on free/reduced lunch. I started talking to them and realized that it was for OPPORTUNITY. that's all. It was a job experience that they were after. Nothing more. Often to get into certain programs or have student loans reduced, etc. they have to teach in the lowest performing schools for the benefits.

I know that they ended up enjoying their experience cause some of them have been there for some years!

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 08-12-2005, 05:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
Quote:
Originally posted by BirthaBlue4

Why would it be strange? Is being around black folks so unheard of that these whites that go to an HBCU are some strange species that needs to be discussed and investigated?

*Not mad, I just don't see the relevance of the discussion*
this was a topic that came up in my diversity issues in counseling class this summer but seeing as it was an all white class, i just wanted some other opinions.

thanks to all who have shared!

- marissa
A GD
Old 08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by squirrely girl
this was a topic that came up in my diversity issues in counseling class this summer but seeing as it was an all white class, i just wanted some other opinions.

thanks to all who have shared!

- marissa
Can you give us a little more background on your class other than the ethnicity of the class?

Such as, was the discussion revolved around the "superior" level of education that one would get if they attended a PWI vs. HBCU, etc.? Or since there was an end to affirmative action programs in many states, the are more folks trying to prove that HBCU's have "reverse racism" or what?

I guess I would need to more to give my answer to this question. How come would this question even be asked in the setting you described?

Do any of us who have attended and graduated from a HBCU have a problem with non-Af Am's attending them and "taking" away slots from those that these education is "intended" for? If this is your question, then here is my answer:

No. I do not HAVE a problem with someone who is not Af. Am. attending Spelman College. I know plenty of folks who were not Af. Am. or they were biracial, multi-racial, multi-ethnic that attended and graduated from Spelman College. There is some history to that I cannot go into and if you do a search on GC, there is discussion about that in the NPHC rooms.

Are these non-Af. Am.s or caucasians taking slots away from those the education intended for?

Given the article that Rudey posted, mostly likely NOT. Any person that does not need financial aid to attend the school is one less person that is taking a slot away from someone else. Not to say the academic selection process is lessened, just to say that the resources are not as depleted as large university systems are.

However, the academic teaching systems--such as having the newest and latest computer techonology systems in the libraries--at these schools may not be the best that money can buy like huge universities have... And yeah, I said it. Like Spelman has a wireless node on it's campus that isn't bootlegged--right... Like they would even allow computers in some of those dorms outside of LLC's... Like "Club Woodruff" (the library) has internet access that is ISDN and is on more that 5 computers--TOTAL--that doesn't require your blood and first born be given away to use...

Besides, many of the areas that HBCU's are located in are is impoverished areas of town. And due to the 1980's drug and gang violence, they areas fell in disrepair. Some have never come out from under it.

So how, does one MAKE a way for these schools? I dunno. But when I attended my 15 year reunion this year, I had classmates bitchin' about a capital campaign and why is Spelman begging for $$$...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 08-12-2005, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I have always wanted to attend a HBCU because even though the highschool I attended was about 50/50 black/white... I went to a small college that was mostly white.

I want to expierence being the 'minority'.

Besides, the women of the Eta Delta chapter of TAU BETA SIGMA at Howard are the coolest people you'll ever meet!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
Do any of us who have attended and graduated from a HBCU have a problem with non-Af Am's attending them and "taking" away slots from those that these education is "intended" for?

This is FYI...
While an undergraduate, many non-Af Ams were entering the school's nursing program. Many Af Am students who had been there since day 1 (orientation class, lyceums, etc) were placed on lists. After many students, parents, etc. brought attention to this matter (not because of race), the nursing dean (non-Af Am/majority) along with the administration had to establish measures where transfer students had to take "x" number of hours BEFORE they could submit any paperwork to be considered for the nursing program.

It's the similar practice with our GLOs. One cannot attend School A during the Fall semester, then transfer to School B in the Spring and expect to submit any paperwork. No, you are integrated into that school culture, FIRST.

Like someone has alread said, you are eligible for minority scholarships @ HBCUs. Too bad, it isn't as easy on the flip side.

I haven't matriculated on a HBCU campus in years (almost 10 ) so, it would not surprise me what I would see in the classrooms. I was pleasantly surprised when I learned we had a soccer team.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
paraphrased for space -

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
Can you give us a little more background on your class other than the ethnicity of the class?

Such as, was the discussion revolved around the "superior" level of education that one would get if they attended a PWI vs. HBCU, etc.? Or since there was an end to affirmative action programs in many states, the are more folks trying to prove that HBCU's have "reverse racism" or what?

How come would this question even be asked in the setting you described?

Do any of us who have attended and graduated from a HBCU have a problem with non-Af Am's attending them and "taking" away slots from those that these education is "intended" for?

not a prob - i didn't even think 'bout the overall lack of info in my first post.

basically the class was a graduate course on multicultural/diverse issues in counseling. in general, an attempt to provide information about relevant issues for different groups (including ethnicity, immigration, sexual diversity, etc.)

ultimately we discussed a variety of topics, not all obviously related to counseling. and part of this had to do with the idea that the class isn't all about counseling but also acknowledging our own biases as future counselors.

one of the topics that got brought up was the concept of reverse racism in regards to scholarships and HBCU's, etc. additionally, my professor brought up the material rudy discussed and the info about minority scholarships for white students also.

honestly, i knew that HBCU's existed and some (no where near enough) of the history behind their creation just from outside readings. however, i wasn't really AWARE of them (if that makes any sense). my professor went to a HBCU and was able to share her insights. but, given my own ignorance and the lack of knowledge in the class as a whole, i thought it might be interesting to get other opinions rather than let the conversation drop.

just having a general knowledge of schools like spelman and howard, i can completely understand how students of any ethnicity would want to attend these schools. despite the differences in technology, i still think of these schools as providing a qualitatively different education that i wouldn't be able to find somewhere else. hell, sophocles was a infinitely smarter than i'll ever aspire to be, and he didn't have the internet or computers...

however, understanding some of the history involved, i was wondering how connected white students felt to the university community and history. and likewise, how black students at the school felt about white students or students of other ethnicities attending ('spots' or no spots).

hope this makes some sense...
A GD
Old 08-12-2005, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: White students attending HBCU?

Quote:
what are your thoughts on this?

- marissa
Not a problem. Although, while I was at my HBCU alma mater, there weren't any. Now I've learned that there are or have been other races there since I've graduated.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

however, understanding some of the history involved, i was wondering how connected white students felt to the university community and history. and likewise, how black students at the school felt about white students or students of other ethnicities attending ('spots' or no spots).

hope this makes some sense...
Given today's "youth" and the society we live in, I think that many have removed themselves (unconsciously) from the historical aspect of HBCUs. Many/Some/Most of OUR youth have removed themselves, rather are removed from the struggle that I (someone in my age range or older) heard about from our parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. growing up.

Therefore, I don't see that there would be any negative reaction to the sight of non-Af Ams on a HBCU campus...not in 2005.

I cannot speak about the connection whites have at a HBCU. I guess they become exposed to the history, culture, seek the education and ultimately move on. That connection is individualized. You would have to speak to someone white for their own experience. I guess it's safe to say, you make your own collegiate experience regardless of the university/college.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

First i wanted to address the Negrophilia term that was used. Many AA's/Black Americans are offended by the root word used in that term (negro). If you were to use the word negro alone they would probably give a very negative and aggressive reaction to this word being used, so coupling it with any other word does not make it sound any better to many AA's.

Next thing is I'm not sure if many of you know that some non-AA student go to HBCU's because they provide minority scholarships for these students who are minorities in the HBCU setting. I say get as much free money as you can especially when it's coming from a great school. You killed 2 birds with 1 stone, great source of education and free money

Many HBCU's are just as good as any other school, so they can feel that they are going to a well established school that is going to further their academic and professional careers.

Why can't these students have the same reasons for going to an HBCU that they would have for going to a traditional university?