GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,166
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,514
6 members and 1,508 guests
Cookiez17, John, MSKKG, willTic, Xidelt

Old 06-15-2022, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
What about students that self-identify as being on the Dean's List?

p a w e a since 1899
Old 06-15-2022, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
What about students that self-identify as being on the Dean's List?
Absolutely loving this!!
Old 06-16-2022, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Just curious, are there organizations out there that *prohibit* their chapters from setting GPA requirements either above the national GPA requirements or higher than a specific GPA?
Old 06-16-2022, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know but I can see NPC or various sororities dropping GPAs and then continuing to have grade competitions or even penalizing chapters who don't have a certain GPA.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Along those lines, a Facebook group for PNM moms NOT at a specific college just posted something interesting.
Her daughter is going to a big university in the Northwest United States.
PANHELLENIC put this "disclaimer" in the registration materials.
<
"DISCLAIMER: The University of *State* Panhellenic Executive Board does not encourage the use of letters of recommendation or legacy status. We believe that the use of these resources creates an expectation that a PNM is guaranteed certain privileges during the recruitment process, when that is not true. Additionally, the use of these resources creates an added barrier to certain PNMs. The Panhellenic Executive Board acknowledges and does not condone the historic practices that have excluded women of color, those with physical limitations, those with different preferred pronouns, women of a lower socioeconomic status, etc. The use of resources such as legacy status or letters of recommendation perpetuates these exclusive practices, as they give preferential treatment in the recruitment process. The Panhellenic Executive Board strives to achieve a fully equitable Recruitment Process by not encouraging the use of these resources. The University of *State* Panhellenic Association practices a values-based recruitment process, which prioritizes getting to know PNMs personally, and not relying on information from outside sources that would be submitted through letters of recommendation.
If you are still interested in submitting a letter of recommendation or your legacy status, please see the following links....."
<
I mean.....how dare they dictate what every group does?

Old 06-16-2022, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

That makes me throw up.

NPC knows full well that sororities will pledge who they want. Many groups at many schools have their preferred first bid list made out as I write this. If they happen upon some unknown who sounds wonderful on paper, you better believe they'll look into her any way they can. Who wants to risk getting a psycho PNM--and if you don't think they exist, read the Weird Rush Stories thread. Does NPC really think that the sororities won't investigate the PNMs before recruitment?

Nope, 'cause NPC only wants to look woke.

Last edited by carnation; 06-16-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post
A few of the chapters I work with directly have said that IF our organization removed nationally defined GPA minimums (hasn't happened yet), they would simply keep a GPA minimum that is comparable to the other sororities at their universities. Even now, many of those GPA requirements are higher than what ASA has set.

Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but I see my collegiate sisters striving for excellence. I was just reviewing end-of-year reports today for one of my chapters, and I see far more success than failure! They aren't going to suddenly stop caring because a number provided by a national office was removed. Many of them aren't using that number anyway!
I agree. That would happen initially.

What about 10 years from now; when grades are no longer considered a barrier. Or when minimums are removed, so gradually more and more grade risks are chosen?
Old 06-16-2022, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

I would be the alum who questioned a PNM why she was in college anyway if she brought a 1.75 out of high school into recruitment. Who would want a woman who doesn't know how to study? How did she even get into college? Sounds like a dream sister!
Old 06-16-2022, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I would be the alum who questioned a PNM why she was in college anyway if she brought a 1.75 out of high school into recruitment. Who would want a woman who doesn't know how to study? How did she even get into college? Sounds like a dream sister!
Ditto
Old 06-16-2022, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

For decades, the recommendation system helped sift through PNMs with bad grades, questionable reputations, and poor scholarship. Do we really need to disable this on a large scale?
Old 06-16-2022, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
When I was in ROTC, we had a cadet who badly wanted to contract but wasn’t able to due to grades. At first I felt kind of bad…until I found out the minimum was a 2.0! And she didn’t have a difficult major or some extenuating circumstances. If your GPA is in the 1s, additional activities are not a good idea!
Old 06-17-2022, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
When I was in ROTC, we had a cadet who badly wanted to contract but wasn’t able to due to grades. At first I felt kind of bad…until I found out the minimum was a 2.0! And she didn’t have a difficult major or some extenuating circumstances. If your GPA is in the 1s, additional activities are not a good idea!
As someone said, if your GPA is something like that, you should be pledging the library instead of a greek org.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 06-17-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Along those lines, a Facebook group for PNM moms NOT at a specific college just posted something interesting.
Her daughter is going to a big university in the Northwest United States.
PANHELLENIC put this "disclaimer" in the registration materials.
<
"DISCLAIMER: The University of *State* Panhellenic Executive Board does not encourage the use of letters of recommendation or legacy status. We believe that the use of these resources creates an expectation that a PNM is guaranteed certain privileges during the recruitment process, when that is not true. Additionally, the use of these resources creates an added barrier to certain PNMs. The Panhellenic Executive Board acknowledges and does not condone the historic practices that have excluded women of color, those with physical limitations, those with different preferred pronouns, women of a lower socioeconomic status, etc. The use of resources such as legacy status or letters of recommendation perpetuates these exclusive practices, as they give preferential treatment in the recruitment process. The Panhellenic Executive Board strives to achieve a fully equitable Recruitment Process by not encouraging the use of these resources. The University of *State* Panhellenic Association practices a values-based recruitment process, which prioritizes getting to know PNMs personally, and not relying on information from outside sources that would be submitted through letters of recommendation.
If you are still interested in submitting a letter of recommendation or your legacy status, please see the following links....."
<
I mean.....how dare they dictate what every group does?
On the contrary, best CYA ever. If they really believed all that bs, they wouldn’t include the links to make sure the recs get to the proper place.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoID View Post
I agree. That would happen initially.

What about 10 years from now; when grades are no longer considered a barrier. Or when minimums are removed, so gradually more and more grade risks are chosen?
Or when Edie who knows all the sisters has a 2.4 and the minimum is 2.5. “Well for Edie? She’s practically a sister already! We’ll waive it, just this once. Nationals will be ok with it.”

Next rush: “Brenda won’t accept our bid if we don’t take Donna and Kelly too and we REALLY want Brenda. Their grades aren’t that big of a deal.”

It’s a slippery slope.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

So much of this is a slippery slope!