GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,013
1 members and 1,012 guests
LaneSig
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Good point, I didn't notice this. Maybe she lives on a river delta? Or maybe it's wishful thinking? lol.... I don't know.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

that is odd-good sleuthing sherlock!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

GatorKate did not accept the bid to the second choice. She was so consumed by the rejection of her first choice that she failed to see that she DID get her second choice, which she had felt almost equally pulled toward.

GatorKate, hate to break it to you, but your first choice chapter just didn't want you bad enough. That's what it boils down to. Chapters have to turn in their bid lists before Preference round, so their decision about you had already been made by the time you made your comment at Preference. Though the two girls who rushed you really liked you, the decision isn't only up to them. It comes down to where on the list the chapter as a whole puts you, and unfortunately for you they matched with women on their bid list before they got to your name.

If you didn't want your second choice, you shouldn't have listed them on your bid card. There might have been a woman who wanted that chapter as badly as you wanted the other one, but by agreeing to accept a bid from them, you robbed her of that opportunity. Let this be a lesson to you that you should be grateful for the things you get in life. To quote Sharyl Crow, "It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got!"
Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

wow... and huh? (there's a rock band called Delta Spirit... maybe that was the reference? okay, okay, I'll go sit down now.)
Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKate View Post
Listen, ladies, I'm going to be very honest with you. People come on the site either to embrace their sisterhood or lament the lack of it and you need to embrace BOTH of those types of people. From reading the threads for awhile now, I just have to say that some of you are really judgemental and hurtful to people who are already hurting, already feel judged. Would it kill any of you just to sympathize with someone? You sympathize with the MOTHERS of girls who have gone through exactly what I went through? Girls who would probablly write the same thing I wrote! I'm not moping, this is something that I've kept inside me and felt this would be a good outlet to express it. You go on a journey and the end destination isn't the same as everyones, but some people felt what you felt, and ended up where you end up, and you want to either celebrate or commiserate or maybe, like in my case, share it and let it go. If you really care about sisterhood, practice a little more to the posters on GC is all I'm saying.
You are a troll.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
You are a troll.
My thoughts.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't pledge my friend's house and in the end I ended up not getting what I wanted and STILL hurting her feelings.
KSU, from what she wrote, I think she didn't end up pledging any chapter.

GatorKate, this is why people are not giving you the sympathy that you seem to be looking for. You had THREE chapters that wanted you as a sister, and you really wanted two of them. Yet you chose none of them and are now expecting pity? You made your choice. I understand what it's like to be in your second choice. Technically, I am in my "second choice" but it has become my first and is one of the best decisions I've made in college because I gave it a chance.

Many, many, GCers are in their second, third, or even further down the list of choices. Some here did not get a bid at all. Imagine how that girl feels while reading your story, knowing that you had your three choices on pref night and she didn't even make it there. That's why we're saying the things that we're saying. We've heard sob stories, and maybe yours isn't one of them to us (although from what I can tell from you, it still does hurt a lot, which I understand). We, from the other side of recruitment, just wish that you had given the chapter you rejected a chance because we've been that chapter that loved that girl who declined our bid. We have feelings too, you know.

If you really regret your decision that much, you could try to rush again. You may not get your first, second, or even last choice at pref night, you may end up completely bidless but the point is that if you never go through recruitment again you will never know.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

This is very odd.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-01-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is very odd.
The fact that I keep that you had the last post in the thread and I look and there's no post from you on that page at all?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. I rest my case your honor.
Perhaps I should have made it clear that this was two years ago, and I rushed again as a sophmore, received a bid and am now an active member. I was dropped by both the houses mentioned after the first round, understandably. I AM happy where I am, but I have always wondered what if. Not because i don't love my sisters and my house now, but because I have always been an over acheiver who gets what they want. I know that's not how life works, I get it, they didn't want me, etc., etc. but it was my first real experience with this type of disappointment and it still bothers me, especially since I see this house and the girls every single day. Maybe you guys think that's pathetic, and I agree that it is in a way, and I'm embarrassed about it, which is why i can't talk to anyone about it, which is why I posted here. And I have been beating myself up about this for almost two years now, but not nearly as much as you guys just beat me up!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

You picked the wrong site if you didn't want honest opinions.

If you want, I'll tell you what you want to hear:

"Oh you poor baby. It is perfectly okay for you to be hung up on a chapter that didn't bid you 2 years ago. Please continue."

Better?

I have a hard time believing that you lurked here for a year and and didn't know what type of answer you were going to get...

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow. I rest my case your honor.
Perhaps I should have made it clear that this was two years ago, and I rushed again as a sophmore, received a bid and am now an active member. I was dropped by both the houses mentioned after the first round, understandably. I AM happy where I am, but I have always wondered what if. Not because i don't love my sisters and my house now, but because I have always been an over acheiver who gets what they want. I know that's not how life works, I get it, they didn't want me, etc., etc. but it was my first real experience with this type of disappointment and it still bothers me, especially since I see this house and the girls every single day. Maybe you guys think that's pathetic, and I agree that it is in a way, and I'm embarrassed about it, which is why i can't talk to anyone about it, which is why I posted here. And I have been beating myself up about this for almost two years now, but not nearly as much as you guys just beat me up!
ORLY? Two years ago? Not once in your first post did you say that, in fact, you said:

Quote:
I've been lurking all year and finally decided to create an account and post. I rushed during the Fall at a major SEC school and had what I consider to be an unsettling result. blah blah blah more long post blah blah whine whine blow rainbows up my ass, please blah blah blah more boring post.
Bad troll. Bad.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are honestly happy with where you are now and are still depressed about being rejected 2 years ago by your first choice, you need professional help.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

My post was about my experience two years ago. I don't understand, did you want me to post about rush last year in that post as well? Why is that when someone doesn't fall in line with what you want their reaction to be or praise you for your take on the matter they are automatically a troll? And listen KSU, I did get some very encouraging and sympathetic responses in PMS, which I appreciate. maybe other posters are too afraid to dissent on the thread in public. God forbid they don't assume the self righteous, mocking tone of you and your flying monkeys.
This my last post here, but in closing I'd like to remind you that I am 20 year old girl who is posting about sorority recruitment. Some of you are fifty year old women who literally comment on EVERY SINGLE thread relating to greek life. I'm sorry, but who really needs to move on? I don't make it a practice to get in bitchy little spats with the local quilting bee or my mom and her friends, so why start now? I will cherish the next two years with my sisters, and I hope to look back on my college memories with a lot of fondness, but if I get to be your age and I'm STILL talking about recs and quotas on a message board, please someone shoot me in the head.
Delta Love-
Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

What is a Delta? Is she a Delta Sigma Theta?