Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,115
3 members and 1,112 guests
aggieAXO

Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Problem is tho...it's only one party picking the candidates...
No. The candidates are from different parties. It's a "vetting council" above the parties, approving or disapproving the candidates.

Not that I would want that system at all mind you, but as I understand it, within the confines of that system, elections have in the past been more or less free.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
The analysis I have been hearing would not quite go with that, I don't think. Elections have been described as the one thing that approaches democracy in Iran. True, you can't run to begin with if the clerics don't approve of you. But as I understand it, historically the people, not the clerics, have made the choice between the approved candidates. Is this that much different from the parties choosing the handful of candidates that run for POTUS, and then the people choosing from the handful?

As I understand it, the current demonstrations are not aimed at overthrowing the system but rather at protesting any rigging of the election.
Yeah - and it's nearly as obvious as possible, from the evidence I've seen, that the election was rigged . . . and not only that, but almost no effort was made to hide it.

In that sense, the elections are far from "democratic" in this instance - the winner was literally predetermined.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
Yeah - and it's nearly as obvious as possible, from the evidence I've seen, that the election was rigged . . . and not only that, but almost no effort was made to hide it.

In that sense, the elections are far from "democratic" in this instance - the winner was literally predetermined.
Right.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Right.
The more I think about it, the more I almost appreciate the sheer audacity of the thing . . . like, "We'll just weather a few weeks of student protests, send out our not-so-secret militia to beat some asses, and everything will be all good in the end."
Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
The more I think about it, the more I almost appreciate the sheer audacity of the thing . . . like, "We'll just weather a few weeks of student protests, send out our not-so-secret militia to beat some asses, and everything will be all good in the end."
Interesting concept and thought. Now, it seems that the USA is getting blamed for the the marches of the Iranian people who are maybe getting fed up with the Mullahs. They the mullahs seem to be understanding the situation and that then brings up the question, did they really rig the election? If that could be proven would the people stand for it. A clay footed base seems to be starting to be eroded. What did a few good men do to the British in the colonies?
Old 06-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned

Looks like the citizens of Iran are not backing down from the little news that is coming out of the country. Guess they are getting really fed up and are going to fight The Supreme Leader. Amazing to see the women getting into the middle of it. I see from some of the Cell Phone shots that a few are down with the anti election results. This could be one of the biggest changes in the Middle East.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, this makes me sound like a dumbass, but I am a dumb ass, so whatever.

Everytime I hear/read the phrase "supreme leader" I can't help but think of "fearless leader" from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got this Tweet from CNN about the election:

cnnbrk: Iranian media states that Guardian Council says more votes cast than eligible voters in 50 cities, but denies that it affected outcome.

Riiight.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
Okay, this makes me sound like a dumbass, but I am a dumb ass, so whatever.

Everytime I hear/read the phrase "supreme leader" I can't help but think of "fearless leader" from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.
You're not the only one.

ETA: And whenever I hear "Guardian Council," all I can think of is the Jedi Council.

Last edited by MysticCat; 06-23-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Banned

Sounds like from the news that is leaking out of Iran that the people are getting fed up with the Supreme Leader BS.They do not seem to want to let it go and who can blame them?
RU OX Alum, that is funny but who knows how true?
I love how some GOPers are saying The President should get more into the fray of another Countrys business. As a Republican, all I have to say is shut the f up. We do not need to be the ones who bring lighting and thunder down on another county! We have to much on our plate being the leaders of the free world. Republicans, you are looking more like asses than the Democrates! Water will find itsd own level as it will there. There are more civilians than military or police. Will be interesting to watch with out America getting involved.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeason1 View Post
Sounds like from the news that is leaking out of Iran that the people are getting fed up with the Supreme Leader BS.They do not seem to want to let it go and who can blame them?
RU OX Alum, that is funny but who knows how true?
I love how some GOPers are saying The President should get more into the fray of another Countrys business. As a Republican, all I have to say is shut the f up. We do not need to be the ones who bring lighting and thunder down on another county! We have to much on our plate being the leaders of the free world. Republicans, you are looking more like asses than the Democrates! Water will find itsd own level as it will there. There are more civilians than military or police. Will be interesting to watch with out America getting involved.
You = Tom.

Lakers Nation.