Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,477
0 members and 1,477 guests
No Members online

Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish the best to the chapter at Auburn since they have a hard road ahead of them. As we can see co-ed chapters do survive and thrive but going from single gender to co-ed is difficult and will require hard work. They, like all chapters of APO will have to try and define what fraternity actually means since what we believe and practice is obviously different than the stereotype and model given to us by other campus GLO's.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliday1925 View Post
At the 2006 National Convention, the "gentleman's agreement" was taken out of the bylaws that was written back from the 1998 National Convention basically saying that all-male chapters have the right to stay the way it was. When they took the agreement out, nationals presented a deadline to those chapters that were still single-gendered to be fully coed by the start of the 2008 National Convention.
Article and Section please.

Note, the changes from the 2006 convention can be found at http://www.apo.org/site/site_files/tnt/2007_Spring.pdf (pages 12-15). All of the changes regarding all-male chapters are in the *resolutions*. Resolutions and by-law changes take different percentages to pass. If the National Fraternity had been able to go co-ed by resolution, then women would have been full members in 1974. (the vote in 1974 for full membership for women got about 61% of the vote, not enough to change the bylaws)

And the deadline turned out not to be...

Frankly, I wouldn't be *that* surprised if at some of the HBCUs that neutral recruitment (changing from "men" to "students" rather than changing from "men" to "men and women" in the recruitment materials) probably wouldn't actually lead to the chapter attracting women. What the RD's reaction would be, I don't know.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliday1925 View Post
At the 2006 National Convention, the "gentleman's agreement" was taken out of the bylaws that was written back from the 1998 National Convention basically saying that all-male chapters have the right to stay the way it was. When they took the agreement out, nationals presented a deadline to those chapters that were still single-gendered to be fully coed by the start of the 2008 National Convention.
I have at my desk here at work several hard copies of National Bylaws.

Please cite where in the bylaws this is. I pulled out my copy of the 99 Bylaws and see no such thing in them.

In Article III/Section I (Membership/Open Membership) it states that membership is open to all student.

There is nothing in the Articles on Membership or Chapters regarding all-male chapters.
Section 71 Chair
Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
You are fortunate. At my current job, I can't risk bringing in that type of stuff. I'm in cubicle-ville. My last job I could...
Old 10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post

Please cite where in the bylaws this is. I pulled out my copy of the 99 Bylaws and see no such thing in them.

In Article III/Section I (Membership/Open Membership) it states that membership is open to all student.

There is nothing in the Articles on Membership or Chapters regarding all-male chapters.
I found a copy of the 2003 printing of the bylaws at home with some of my convention stuff, and the assertion of the "gentleman's agreement" being codified is not supported anywhere in the document.

Quote:
Any one here can think whatever they like, think happy happy thoughts live long and prosper your right and I'm wrong. Just remember, when the majority of the 'Brothers' in the room are singing "Men of Alpha Phi Omega, Our Fraternity" are wearing skirts, I'll be wearing my Alpha Delta letters with Pride.
Until something changes in the future with Alpha Delta that you don't like, that is.

Last edited by arvid1978; 10-11-2009 at 04:01 AM.