GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,233
4 members and 1,229 guests
Cookiez17, KEGirl01, Phrozen Sands

Old 09-19-2002, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I just reread this, and I think she means induction, not initiation. If she's been rushing and just accepted a bid, I doubt they are initiating already.
Depends on the campus's rules...At my school, we have to initiate 3 weeks after bid day. It's annoying, but if they find out that you didn't initiate, you get in huge trouble.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by DWAlphaGam

Depends on the campus's rules...At my school, we have to initiate 3 weeks after bid day. It's annoying, but if they find out that you didn't initiate, you get in huge trouble.
My boyfriend tells me his school is like that. That seems awfully short to me! What does your national headquarters think?
Old 09-19-2002, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

One fraternity chapter I knew of had a 24-hour new member period. Bid day would be Friday and they initiated on Saturday. I don't know if it was a national policy or not.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80

My boyfriend tells me his school is like that. That seems awfully short to me! What does your national headquarters think?
Well, since our fraternity education program is supposed to take 8 weeks, we try to cram as much into the 3 weeks as possible and then have continuing fraternity education for everyone after initiation. There's really not much that our international can do about it, because the school's rules supercede the fraternity's rules.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DWAlphaGam

Well, since our fraternity education program is supposed to take 8 weeks, we try to cram as much into the 3 weeks as possible and then have continuing fraternity education for everyone after initiation. There's really not much that our international can do about it, because the school's rules supercede the fraternity's rules.
Do you know what the school's reasons are for such a short pledge period? I've never heard of a school doing this before...
Old 09-19-2002, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93

Do you know what the school's reasons are for such a short pledge period? I've never heard of a school doing this before...
I wasn't there when the pledge period was longer, so I can't really say, but I think a lot of it is because the administration is anti-greek. They think a shortened new member period will reduce hazing, or at least the outward signs of hazing, and they want to try to keep people's grades up so that they don't look bad. It's really hard on both members and new members, though, because you end up having activities planned almost every day for the whole three weeks instead of being able to spread them out a little.