GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,291
1 members and 1,290 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 06-30-2022, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I think the Greek orgs should keep their damn mouths shut on all political issues. People have widely varying opinions and there is no way a GLO will benefit from making a grand pronouncement like, as one did: "we recognize that all members will have a different stand, however, here is ours" (insert a big mistake).

How DARE an organization speak for all its members?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
I agree with Carnation especially on this issue. If you're on one side or the other, what it comes down to is it impacts people who can get pregnant. I generally don't get super passionate about political issues but this is one that I do have strong feelings about which I will keep to myself, because honestly I am not one to debate or try and convince people to see my side.

I think for GLOs, they are in sort of a no win situation. Especially with those members that think the GLO should take a particular position.

I think in some instances GLOs should make a statement, supporting their sisters (i.e. condemning hate crimes) but I do feel like that is a completely separate issue from people's reproductive matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I don't believe that any of us elected our national officers to decide what side of a political issue our orgs were going to back. It seems to me that should a sorority take a political stand, it should be after polling ALL their members and voicing the side of the majority.
I agree with all of these opinions. I also didn't join my sorority based on a potential political leaning, and do not appreciate being told that I should think one way or another - especially on such a hot button issue.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

THIS is what women need to hear!

Just because I feel like no one has said it….

To the woman who is pro-life,
You are loved beyond measure

To the woman who is pro-choice,
You are loved beyond measure.

To the woman who is on the fence,
You are loved beyond measure.

To the woman who is heart broken from being told she is unable to have children.
You are loved and created for a purpose.

To the woman who is excitingly pregnant with her fifth child even though her family says it’s “irresponsible”
You are loved and created for a purpose.

To the woman who found out the child inside of her would cost her her life and chose to abort,
You are loved and created for a purpose

To the woman who’s world has been turned upside down when her child’s heart stopped beating inside her womb,
There is endless unconditioned love for you

To the woman who is on the bathroom floor looking at two pink lines after running from their abusive partner.
There is endless unconditional love for you.

To the woman who has to make an impossible decision when she was told her child was not forming properly and was in extreme pain.
There is endless unconditional love for you.

To the woman who’s abortion haunts her everyday,
There is grace and incredible love for you.

To the woman who was raped and found out she was pregnant and decided to not carry the child.
There is grace and incredible love for you.

To all of the woman who had to make a choice to bring life into the world or to end it and to the ones who were not given a choice. I hope you know that His grace and love is endless for you.

Regardless if people say your choice was “right” or “wrong” and with all the hatefulness on both sides. I hope you know that you are loved by the Savior of the world. HE understands your pain/grief/worry/doubt/ and every other thing you had to go through. And you are priceless and endlessly loved in his eyes. And mine. (I apologize for those who told you different)
You are loved beyond measure‼️

-Letitia
A woman who is imperfect, a sinner who is loved by God ❣️
#prolove
Old 06-30-2022, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, honeychile.

It bears repeating: Thank you, honeychile.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-30-2022, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

honeychile, thank you!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 07-01-2022, 05:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I’m of the belief we should follow our own unspoken recruitment rules of the 5Bs and not talk about politics as national organizations.

I’ll venture to take it a step further that political discussion should be made taboo again among acquaintances.

On the other hand, I think sororities would be remiss not to educate members on how to have civil and respectful discussion with each other. We’ve seemingly let the treasured values of tolerance and “agreeing to disagree” fall by the wayside.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

^^^^ YES!
Old 07-01-2022, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I agree, and some just assume that their views are the same as their membership. My guess would be that even if they did a poll and a majority went one way, those on the other side would still be upset that they made a political statement.

I found this statement by AOPi to be something of value: https://www.alphaomicronpi.org/news/...ha-omicron-pi/

Quote:
I don't believe that any of us elected our national officers to decide what side of a political issue our orgs were going to back. It seems to me that should a sorority take a political stand, it should be after polling ALL their members and voicing the side of the majority.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I agree, and some just assume that their views are the same as their membership. My guess would be that even if they did a poll and a majority went one way, those on the other side would still be upset that they made a political statement.

Quote:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
I like the statement they put out, they also had a PP within their statement just sort of providing some information on how to have difficult conversations. As was previously mentioned, we should be teaching members those skills. We've become so polarized as a society in general where one side absolutely thinks they are right and the other side is wrong.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

I like it too! No group should presume to speak for its members. EVER.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebcj View Post
I’m of the belief we should follow our own unspoken recruitment rules of the 5Bs and not talk about politics as national organizations.

I’ll venture to take it a step further that political discussion should be made taboo again among acquaintances.

On the other hand, I think sororities would be remiss not to educate members on how to have civil and respectful discussion with each other. We’ve seemingly let the treasured values of tolerance and “agreeing to disagree” fall by the wayside.
THIS!

I just think both sides want us to hate/demonize the other at this point, and it’s driving everyone apart. We are all more alike than we know.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I like it too! No group should presume to speak for its members. EVER.
I like it because I have absolutely zero idea which side the person who wrote it is on.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
While I agree that I don't want my sorority to tell what to think or how to think on any issue, I'm so proud that at least my sorority TAKES A STAND on an issue. Whether it's abortion, pride month, mental health awareness or something else, our instagram feed has substance. The vapidness of some of the NPC sororities' Instagram feeds is absolutely atrocious.
We share letters shadokat, and I'm totally in agreement. To my fellow NPC sisters in this thread who want their organizations to take milquetoast stances on this issue and others - did you or did you not join sororities that actively seek to empower and uplift young women? As young women's rights are systematically destroyed, wouldn't it be extremely hypocritical of those organizations to stay silent? I would be disgusted if my country's Supreme Court rescinded R v. Morgentaler (our version of Roe v. Wade) and my sorority didn't make a statement about it in support of our Canadian sisters.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Joining a political group did not interest me, and not one of the 18 sororities made any political statements or in any other way indicated a collective viewpoint when I rushed. When I joined my sorority I joined for potential friendships, leadership opportunities, and potential connections later in life. I joined to make a large campus feel smaller.

Furthermore, where was the outcry when Lea Thomas was allowed to compete in the NCAA womens swim finals?
Old 07-03-2022, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I can see where KD advocates for each sister to use their voice, but does not say how to use that voice. Southern chapters have different views than northern chapters. Christine Blasey Ford and Amy Coney Barrett are both KDs. To tell sisters which side of the line they need to stand is as restricting as if we had no voice. I know where I stand, I advocate for my view, I advocate on behalf of my daughter, nieces, and other women including the young ladies of the sorority to whom I am the House Director. I remind them all they have a voice, they have a vote--USE THEM! STAND BY THEM!

DaffyKD