GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,219
0 members and 1,219 guests
No Members online

Old 10-07-2000, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

cute, very cute. you KNEW you couldn't tell ANYONE, but you posted on here anyway?? what next? "i know i can't tell anyone, but this is our password...." or "i know I can't tell anyone, but this is how our grip goes...."

remember this: practice makes perfect and past behavior is an indicator of future performance.

------------------
Kelli
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
12-Delta Nu-94
MAL, Southern Region
Savannah State University c/o 1997
Old 10-08-2000, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
YOU NEED TO CHILL!!! I'VE SAID ENOUGH IN THE DELTA FORUM ABOUT DISCRETION. I PRAY THAT YOU AND ANYONE ELSE WHO IS GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN A SORORITY OR FRATERNITY WILL PRACTICE DISCRETION.

AND REMEMBER JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT A LETTER AND AN INTERVIEW MEANS NOTHING. YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR "LETTING IT OUT"!
You've probably told others also, and I'm sure you were given specific instructions on how to conduct yourselve throughout this process.

Forgive me, all, for coming down so hard, I just have a problem when people don't practice discretion or follow rules.

------------------
Director #2
LMAC
Spr 99

[This message has been edited by DirectorDST99 (edited October 07, 2000).]
Old 10-08-2000, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally Excited,
I understand you are thrilled to the gills about what has happened to you. That's great and I wish you the best of luck. However, I am not gonna come down on you about the whole discretion thing. It is something that you should realize and know at this point. Therefore, in the future, just realize that from this point forward, you need to know that actions such as this, could cost ya. Granted, you didn't tell us where you go to school, what org it is that you received a letter from, etc. But just the whole thought of you sharing this info is questionable in terms of: are you gonna share more info to others (on this board or otherwise)? It's like, you told us this much, so are you gonna keep on telling? Especially if you were told that discretion is key from whatever point and on.
I think I can speak for most Greeks when I say that we don't take giving our traditions and letters away lightly. It is a BIG DEAL to us. Our orgs mean the world to us. We all understand the importance of keeping secrets a secret or keeping our rituals OUR rituals.

So here's this scenario Totally Excited and hopefully this will help:
Say you were Greek and you extended someone the opportunity to be in your org. And you told this person that it was very important for them to remain discreet about the info they receive from this point forward. But guess what? They didn't! How would you feel? Wouldn't you feel let down? Wouldn't you feel slightly betrayed? It's like you saw something in this person that would make them a good member and that most of all, you could trust them. You could trust this person w/ the traditions, rituals, etc that you hold dear to your heart. But they didn't listen and they went and shared something they weren't supposed to.
So think (before you speak) about that scenario the next time you feel the need to spread your joy. Like I said, we aren't trying to be mean about what you did, it's just that by this, you just went and literally betrayed someone and their org by sharing something that you knew you weren't supposed to. If by chance they found out, how are they supposed to continue to trust you? How are they supposed to share the true beauty of their org with you now? Think about it.

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited October 08, 2000).]
Old 10-09-2000, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

12dn94DST:

I like the way you broke it down- I agree, and also thank you for not doing so in a disrespectful manner. We are all assuming She/He new about keeping certain things to oneself but... maybe he/she did not know. I am prety sure we all made it clear by now.
...And if this person in brought in the "right way" by he time the process is over, she/he, I hope, will protect and care for the org.'s history and secrets as if it was her/his life.
Enough Said.

GhostFace/Not Limit Soldier
SIGMA GAMMA RHO Sorority Inc.