Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,520
0 members and 1,520 guests
No Members online

Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I just don't see what the educational value was. I am pretty liberal on this type of stuff, but there should at least be a REASON for it.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
Anywho, she required that we attend a drag queen contest downtown as part of the "alternative lifestyle" section of the class. I didnt feel comfortable with that or felt like I had to attend such a show in order to try to understand that lifestyle/lifestyle choice so I dropped the class and chose another one.
I took a journalism course focusing on minorities in the media, and all of the required events to attend were community meetings, protests or demonstration-type events. Similarily, this was on the syllabus for students to "further understand" the lifestyle. A lot of students got low grades/failed because it was a huge portion of the grade, and many students said they "didnt feel comfortable" attending those types of events. Reasons I heard ranged from "i felt unsafe/unwelcome in the neighborhood" to "i don't need to physically be present to understand the issues."

Professor didn't buy any of it, though he did empathize with students feeling uncomfortable with events that leaned with religious undertones. His point, after lots of complaints from students (and parents, i bet) was that if this makes students uncomfortable, that it's a. a good thing, to be challenged as such and b. they probably didnt have the wearwithall to cut it as a journalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
My line of thinking is "if you don't want to see it, don't go." I suppose that could be applied to the fucksaw situation, but again, I don't know if it was necessary for the professor to go that far to make his point.
I feel you on this. However, student clubs (and departments) run under the auspices (i think i used that word right) of the college, so anything done reflects on the institution. Some are OK with the potential backlash, others are not. There are LOTS of stuff that happened at NYU that ruffled feathers. One of my programs as an RA was sex toy shopping. Some schools wouldnt sneeze, others would put the kibosh on it. Another RA may not feel as comfortable. My opinion: don't like it? Stay yo ass home.

You're right, if you don't want to see it, don't go. But also... you gotta know your crowd. Plus, there's a time and place for nakedness and multiple, authentic orgasms.

Quote:

That picture was easier to find than, well,...
LOL maybe you're doing it wrong.

Last edited by tld221; 03-04-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
I took a journalism course focusing on minorities in the media, and all of the required events to attend were community meetings, protests or demonstration-type events. Similarily, this was on the syllabus for students to "further understand" the lifestyle. A lot of students got low grades/failed because it was a huge portion of the grade, and many students said they "didnt feel comfortable" attending those types of events. Reasons I heard ranged from "i felt unsafe/unwelcome in the neighborhood" to "i don't need to physically be present to understand the issues."
Our multicultural counseling class had this as an optional assignment (it was something like complete 3 out of 8-10 options and this was one of them.) I'd say maybe 1/3 of people in our class made the effort. (And we had people do everything from attend a church primarily attended by another race, to churches from other faiths than their own, to drag shows.)

Quote:
I feel you on this. However, student clubs (and departments) run under the auspices (i think i used that word right) of the college, so anything done reflects on the institution. Some are OK with the potential backlash, others are not. There are LOTS of stuff that happened at NYU that ruffled feathers. One of my programs as an RA was sex toy shopping. Some schools wouldnt sneeze, others would put the kibosh on it. Another RA may not feel as comfortable. My opinion: don't like it? Stay yo ass home.
My sexual dysfunction/couples/marriage and family counseling professor took us on a field trip to a sex toy store. It was educational for people who hadn't been to a physical store. I still can't see it as something an RA would do as an event, but whatever works for the school

Quote:
You're right, if you don't want to see it, don't go. But also... you gotta know your crowd. Plus, there's a time and place for nakedness and multiple, authentic orgasms.
I just can't think of many places where a show involving nakedness and multiple orgasms would be legal in the first place. Also, I do feel it's a bit odd regardless.

Quote:
It's k_s, of course he's doing it wrong.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Professor didn't buy any of it, though he did empathize with students feeling uncomfortable with events that leaned with religious undertones. His point, after lots of complaints from students (and parents, i bet) was that if this makes students uncomfortable, that it's a. a good thing, to be challenged as such and b. they probably didnt have the wearwithall to cut it as a journalist.
When I was in school, all of the education majors were supposed to do something like this. Every semester, there'd be a Friday evening that two or three women would come with me to Hillel. I would actually go out of my way to pick the service that would be almost entirely in Hebrew.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

The "live sex show" professor speaks

Northwestern's Bailey: "I couldn't think of a legitimate good reason why people shouldn't be allowed to see that"
http://www.salon.com/life/sex_educat...%2529_7_30_110
Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
The "live sex show" professor speaks

Northwestern's Bailey: "I couldn't think of a legitimate good reason why people shouldn't be allowed to see that"
http://www.salon.com/life/sex_educat...%2529_7_30_110
He has more book sense than common sense.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
He has more book sense than common sense.
"Some people look at two paid performers having ugly, sweaty, passionate sex and say, 'Why?' I look at pulsating, throbbing hogs and say, 'Why not?'"
Old 03-04-2011, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

lmao.......
Old 03-04-2011, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I could see a large part of the point of the professor in this setting, because as a journalist you do have to cover events that arent always pleasant being in thought or may be physically dangerous (warzones for example).

In my class, the drag show event was not stated in the syllabus. It wasnt mentioned at all until probably the 4th week of the class, almost as if the instructor just decided on a whim to make the assignment.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Of course not. I don't wake up butt nekkid on floors for nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
It's k_s, of course he's doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
lmao.......
Why are you co-signing??? Lol

Old 03-04-2011, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

We all know the sexual chocolate that is k_s could never do it wrong.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
We all know the sexual chocolate that is k_s could never do it wrong.

(One of many standing O's...)

Old 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
(One of many standing O's...)
If she can still stand you're doing it wrong...
Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I keep thinking......Was this necessary?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
If she can still stand you're doing it wrong...