Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,064
0 members and 1,064 guests
No Members online

Old 02-14-2007, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosoul View Post
I wonder what his plans for US national health care are?
Have lots of babies and store up food for the end of the world? I bet garments help prevent skin cancer, at least.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
The term "flip flopper" is so overblown. What ever happened to "inconsistant" or any other term used to describe politicians in general?
College Republicans that threw shoes at John Kerry.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
College Republicans that threw shoes at John Kerry.
Well I assume that came after Bush used the term. But it's soooo over. Move on. No politician is consistant.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
Have lots of babies and store up food for the end of the world? I bet garments help prevent skin cancer, at least.
You should really read up on the Mass universal health care system - while Mormon jokes are universally hilarious, you might be surprised by how comprehensive the care is.

There are severe doubts if anything similar is feasible nationwide (I seriously doubt it) but he was willing to enact universal health care if it were financially viable. You can't knock his financial/business/budgetary acumen.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well I assume that came after Bush used the term. But it's soooo over. Move on. No politician is consistant.
I'll move on when I want to, Bubbles.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I think it worked against Kerry because he would say two different things within like 6 months of each statement. Romney is more like every other politician who picks his battles depending on who the voters are.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
I'll move on when I want to, Bubbles.
Lol, I didn't mean you. I meant the media, the world in general.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
But, did they not make the same Comment about Kennedy and being a Catholic(Roman, that is)?
They did, but for somewhat different reasons. The main concern among many was that a Catholic president would take direction on how to govern the country from the Vatican. While there may be some similar concern among some about a Mormon and Salt Lake City, I think the larger concern is the view regarding Mormons among many evangelicals.

Quote:
And I'm sure his religion will be more of an issue later as the field thickens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
He's a mormon. Most polling indicates the biggest problem will be with evangelicals.
One of my best friends is a Southern Baptist. He follows politics closely, and he tends toward Republicans, at least in national elections -- he typically wants a Republican appointing the federal judiciary, for example. When he and I were discussing a poll showing that the majority of those polled said they were not ready for a Mormon president (only the prospect of a gay president did worse in the poll), he said, "Well sure. Mitt Romney's apparent intelligence notwithstanding, they're all crazy."

I imagine that he is not alone in that assesment.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I really hope Mitt Romney is the nominee, if just to see the Hollywood reaction...I'm sure somebody will go "No, I'm a little uncomfortable with a Mormon as President...ask my friends, Tom and Katie."
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I really hope Mitt Romney is the nominee, if just to see the Hollywood reaction...I'm sure somebody will go "No, I'm a little uncomfortable with a Mormon as President...ask my friends, Tom and Katie."
Ahahahahahaha. You win Best Post of the Day. I'm gunning for McCain just because he's moderate enough for me to like and possibly consider voting for, though unfortunately, he's creeping up there in age. Yes, I will be able to vote next year!

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL. Classic.

Of course, maybe Aaron Eckhart, Jon Heder, Rick Schroder and Paul Walker will stand up for Mitt.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure what the difference is between a "flip-flopper" and someone who is able to look at new facts and change their opinion based on them. I'd rather have someone who does that than someone who gets an idea and goes it with it full force, refusing to admit if he is wrong no matter how many new facts he is given. I think it makes sense that someone's perspective may change with maturity, new knowledge, or experience. I know my opinions have changed over the years and can still be changed if someone presents facts that are logical to me.

ETA: I'm also ok with a "flip-flopper" who is compromising because they can't get to their full goal immediately, but will accept a step in the right direction.

Last edited by AGDee; 02-14-2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-14-2007, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it can be good to make revisions and change your mind, it can also be good to stand strong in a position when the tide turns against it. Tough jobs require people who can withstand waves of pressure from others.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually I have no reason to not vote on a person who is running for President if that person is a female, black or of a religious denomination!

My only problem is whether they get in to the Highest Governing Posiotion in the world is if they will do a good job!

When one gets voted into the White House and sits in the Oval Office, there is a mantel that they must wear and make decissions for Millions of people!

Hell, Sam Brownback from Kansas is going to run and I would never vote for Him!

Kennedy did not cow tow to the Vatican and I would hope that Romeny wouled not do the same to Salt Lake!

The USA is much bigger and more important for the world.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I'm not sure what the difference is between a "flip-flopper" and someone who is able to look at new facts and change their opinion based on them.
The difference is political expediency vs. honest change of heart or reconsideration.