GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,140
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,067
2 members and 1,065 guests
IllyPolly, John

Old 09-26-2010, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter went to school where there is a KD chapter. As a little girl she always told me she wanted to be a KD. She refused to go through recruitment when she started school, but I had told her, if she decided to go through recruitment, she was to choose a house that is right for her. KD was the right house for me on the campus where I was going, with the ladies who were collegians at that time. If I went through recruitment today, who knows if KD would be the right house on that campus with those members now.

I am very active in my alumnae chapter (was president for 3 years) and was on our national volunteer board for 2 years. I was disappointed that I can't share KD with her, but recognized that she is a VERY independent woman. I did tell her, "I don't care if you go through recruitment or not, but my only rule is that you cannot just sit in your dorm and do nothing." She found groups that made her happy to belong and do what she wanted.

In our Alumnae Chapter, there are quite a few women who have daughters who have not joined KD and they are happy that their girls found someplace that made them happy.

DaffyKD
Old 09-26-2010, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been very involved as an Adivisor for AXO for over 20 years. I was VERY pregnant with my daughter during one recruitment. My daughter has grown up around the AXO house. DD is now a sophomore in HS and just asked the other day if she had to be an AXO when she went to college. My response was she could be any thing she wanted. While I would love for her to be an AXO and disappointed if AXO dropped her during recruitment I also realize that I want her to be happy. My two nieces who are Sigma Kappa's think that is where she should land! Personally, I think it would be easier for me if she went to a college without an AXO Chapter, but in the end I want her to have a good college experience like I did.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznSAE View Post
last week we were searching for greek related movies on netflix. i came across "the sorority wars" and watched it with my sister. it was a made-for-tv movie (abc family i think) that came out in 2009 dealing with this exact situation. it was okay, but more for the younger crowd. if i didn't read much about sorority recruitment on greekchat, i probably wouldn't have gotten this movie lol. it deals with recruitment, dirty rushing, pref, parties, rivals, etc. below is a copy-and-paste summary:

When freshman Katie (Lucy Hale) pledges a sorority, her mother, Lutie (Courtney Thorne-Smith) expects her to choose prestigious Delta house. After all, Lutie wasn't only a member of Delta, she co-founded it. But when Katie decides on the less straitlaced Kappas, Lutie loses her cool. Now, it's an all-out family feud - mother vs. daughter, sister vs. sister - in this campus drama co-starring Faith Ford as Lutie's best friend and fellow Delta founder.
You're confusing. Sometimes your posts are regular posts, and other times they're oddly spam-like.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Think Of It As More Opportunities For Both...

Okay, I will bite on this one.

My mom and I are in different sororities.
Through the whole process of what we called Rush back in the day, my mom was supportive. Although, I was cut from her chapter, she was my biggest cheerleader. It was always what was best for me. I think that my mom was the first of the heli-mom's; coming straight from the hotel to pick me up after Rush and making sure that I got enough rest and food while battling the last of bit pneumonia.

Now back to what I meant to post for:
A couple of years after I graduated, my parents were going to spend over a year on a project in a remote southwestern town. Sure enough, one day, I open up my local alumni newsletter and there is a story about a woman whose son in doing work in that same town. I showed it to my mom and told her to call the woman that was mentioned. Sure enough, my mom calls up and says "My daughter is in (my sorority)." That got the conversation started. They chatted for several minutes. Mom learned a lot. Had I been in another sorority, or Mom's for that matter, that introduction would not have taken place nor the information exchanged.

The moral of the story is that is an opportunity for both of you. I like to think that life is full of opportunities and this is just one of many for you and her.

To this day, she is good with it. I see her badge occasionally in her closet. Never once has she mentioned that she wished she could have been at initiation for me. In some ways, I think that as much as it would have been nice to be in the organization, I think that we are better because we are not. We have more people to network with and meet through each other!

Last edited by BAckbOwlsgIrl; 09-26-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: proof reading
Old 09-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

i agree--it is pretty brutal to make those pnms wait a whole week. how ever they make it through the week is beyond me! good luck babydoe!!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Friday is a long wait so we will join her in going bananas! But from your post it sounds like rush is going very well for her. And I love her discernment ~ do they like me or the rec!
Love it! She is going to do fine.
Question: at her school is rush only on the weekends? If so is this weekend pref & bid day?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

They switched to this recruitment style at Iowa, and the wait seems to have benefited the girls as not as many dropped out this year. Maybe having a little time to think about it all (or freak out as many of us would have done) helps their common sense.

Good luck to your daughter. Here's a little GC gripe we have: your daughter hasn't CUT anyone. She ranked some houses lower.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info concerning weekend recruitment. I can see the benefits anything that reduces dropping out is wonderful but personally I would be freaking out!
My fault 'cutting' but those where the words used to describe the situation by the rho chi.
It was also the term used when I went through rush/recruitment. Yes, it does sound awful ~ sorry.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to your daughter!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My heart is aching for you & your daughter.
Wishing both of you the best possible outcome.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

My heart would be aching and my stomach would be hurting.
i hope she has a good next round with the sorority that is interested in her.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

fingers crossed!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Good thoughts are coming in your direction, and for your daughter. I keep saying "it only takes one" and I know several women who had "one" and it was the Right One all along. When you are in the thick of it, it's so hard to have any perspective or balance. How often have I wanted to know the outcome of the race before I placed my bet, but that is not how it works.

/side note: my sister went through recruitment at my university when I was a senior and she was a freshman. I was positive she would go with another chapter. Honestly, at the time I was fine with it, and to this very day I think/know that that chapter was a better fit for her than mine. They pursued her, wooed her, preferenced her; and in the end, she went to my chapter. I was quite shocked, as was everyone else in that chapter. She ended up transferring after her junior year and not affiliating where she transferred (no chapter there). My sister was always in my footsteps her entire life, and I believe (as does she, I think) that she would have been happier had she gone in a different direction. Well, we live life forward and understand it backwards, don't we?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Good news. I will be pulling for her!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hallelujah!