GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,625
1 members and 1,624 guests
No Members online

Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Today's math lesson...let's say you have 60 chapters that don't have sprinklers. Some are large houses, where the costs would be in the $250K range. Others are smaller, so their costs would be closer to $150K.

If you average it out, that comes out to $200,000/chapter. Even though I was a Mass Comm major, I can do the cipherin' and realize that this is an investment of $12,000,000. There aren't many GLOs that have that kind of swag lying around @ their beck and call...

It's going to be up to us, the alumni, to do what we can to assist our chapters, whether they're our alma mater or the local chapter in town.

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz130 View Post
Today's math lesson...let's say you have 60 chapters that don't have sprinklers. Some are large houses, where the costs would be in the $250K range. Others are smaller, so their costs would be closer to $150K.

If you average it out, that comes out to $200,000/chapter. Even though I was a Mass Comm major, I can do the cipherin' and realize that this is an investment of $12,000,000. There aren't many GLOs that have that kind of swag lying around @ their beck and call...

It's going to be up to us, the alumni, to do what we can to assist our chapters, whether they're our alma mater or the local chapter in town.
Yup. I think we're saying the same thing. Even with your slightly more conservative figures, those costs probably aren't something any NIC group could deal with.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Add to that figure 10% per year...on average, that's the going rate for cost overruns. He (or she) who hesitates is lost...

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

One of the guys on our house corp is in the construction industry. He also sits on the Oklahoma University chapter's house corp. We're still in the planning/development stages for building a house. When it finally comes time to do so, we'll probably heed his advice on the matter -- build using non-flammable material. It's expensive in the short run, but the long-term savings can be huge.

They built the OU house that way (it's kind of an eyesore from the outside, but it's built very well and is very nice inside, just underwent a 1.5 million rennovation).

In the 90's, there was a really bad fire which started in one of the rooms of that house. The fire completely gutted/destroyed that room. Melted the doorknob.

Due to the construction of the facility, however, the house was otherwise undamaged. There were no sprinkler systems.

I thought that was a pretty good deal.

At any rate, if any of y'all are in the planning/development stages, you might consider the future cost-savings of spending a little now for the steel/concrete frame rather than 2x4's and plywood.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-09-2007, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
One of the guys on our house corp is in the construction industry. He also sits on the Oklahoma University chapter's house corp. We're still in the planning/development stages for building a house. When it finally comes time to do so, we'll probably heed his advice on the matter -- build using non-flammable material. It's expensive in the short run, but the long-term savings can be huge.

They built the OU house that way (it's kind of an eyesore from the outside, but it's built very well and is very nice inside, just underwent a 1.5 million rennovation).

In the 90's, there was a really bad fire which started in one of the rooms of that house. The fire completely gutted/destroyed that room. Melted the doorknob.

Due to the construction of the facility, however, the house was otherwise undamaged. There were no sprinkler systems.

I thought that was a pretty good deal.

At any rate, if any of y'all are in the planning/development stages, you might consider the future cost-savings of spending a little now for the steel/concrete frame rather than 2x4's and plywood.
Kevin, I know about metal studing as My store had that construction.

But, there are still many items in each room that will burn and if the fire is hot enough, it will destroy concret and mortor.

Agree, a sprinkler system would be of help.

Now, how do We as Greek Organizations overcome the cost?

LX Z # 1
Alumni