Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 944
0 members and 944 guests
No Members online
View Poll Results: To salt or not to salt that is the question!
Hayle yes, I'm not slippin in the ice 13 56.52%
HELL NO, HPRL!!! It ain't easy being green!!! 1 4.35%
Only under some circumstances would I use salt 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2008, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
While agree with you on an occasional snow that lasts only 2-3 days. It is very irresponsible of KING county of Washington State, to purport this logic when people, nor transportation, can get to their places of work. Other counties, such as Pierce which has Tacoma and Everett, which I think is either Snohomish or its own county (I apologize for not knowing) use salt on their streets.

The other issue Trash has not been picked up for 2-3 weeks in some places because the trucks cannot get to certain areas.

If people are paying property taxes, etc., then they are owed some level of living in human decency. Last I looked, Washington State is a part of the UNITED STATES! And sometimes, King county seems to forget this with their elitist aristocracy. Believe me if the road weren't groomed in Mercer Island, you would have all kinds of laws changed.

The other issue is here: Jesse Jones of King 5 news... He tells it like it is... If you want your street plowed, (206) 386-1218... They are saying no one requested plowing!!! King was not plowing some people's streets because they did not call and request it... Now that is some BS.
Is there not a snow route for plowing? Maybe that's something I'm taking for granted because there is a plan for when it is going to snow, and you know which roads will be cleared. Since I'm renting my landlord pays to have snow from our house removed, but we have sidewalk laws which the city isn't enforcing.

What isn't helping is the 45 mph and higher winds while it is snowing. The water on the ground is freezing and snow is piling on top of it, and it is pretty dangerous out there. I'm fortunate enough I can walk to work, but with parking I'm damned if I want to park in my garage, and damned if I park on the street. I could have a coworker pick me up a couple blocks away and walk down, but it is so stupid I live half a block from a main road and people use my street to avoid the highway that they can't plow it.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Is there not a snow route for plowing? Maybe that's something I'm taking for granted because there is a plan for when it is going to snow, and you know which roads will be cleared. Since I'm renting my landlord pays to have snow from our house removed, but we have sidewalk laws which the city isn't enforcing.
In King County, there is no snow routes for plowing. All routes that get plowed are the freeways that are governed by the State of Washington, which uses salt.

So streets like Mercer St. and West Lake Sammamish--don't get plowed. Even with 5 inches of ice with fresh powder snow. Now King County can say what it wants when the snow is only going to last 2-3 days and use alternatives as much as they want. But, when the State shuts down both I-90 and 520 freeways (another issue in and of itself), a whole bunch of people attempt to drive the by the top of Lake Washington into Seattle or take the tortuous trip on I-405 south into Seattle, which is treacherous and the only safest road to get into Seattle might be Elliot Bay Way--since the Alaskan Way Viaduct is in very poor shape...

And as some Seattlelites pride themselves, they can barely drive in the water, much less on ice.

This is NO ordinary situation.

As far as contracting the plowing out, that would have been nice, however, all the folks who were tapped did it for freeways/highways and highest bidder... Where I live, simple snow shovels were UNAVAILABLE by the 2nd snowstorm!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 12-29-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In King County, there is no snow routes for plowing. All routes that get plowed are the freeways that are governed by the State of Washington, which uses salt.

So streets like Mercer St. and West Lake Sammamish--don't get plowed. Even with 5 inches of ice with fresh powder snow. Now King County can say what it wants when the snow is only going to last 2-3 days and use alternatives as much as they want. But, when the State shuts down both I-90 and 520 freeways (another issue in and of itself), a whole bunch of people attempt to drive the by the top of Lake Washington into Seattle or take the tortuous trip on I-405 south into Seattle, which is treacherous and the only safest road to get into Seattle might be Elliot Bay Way--since the Alaskan Way Viaduct is in very poor shape...

And as some Seattlelites pride themselves, they can barely drive in the water, much less on ice.

This is NOT a ordinary situation.
Is the public transportation working? It would seem smart to make sure those routes were clear and to encourage people to use that (though are they really being smart?). I remember the storm a couple weeks ago, a city bus was just abandoned on the street in Spokane. Even the plows here have chains on, which I didn't need until the ice puddle formed at the bottom of my driveway.

I hope this crap is dealt with by MLK Jr. weekend. I'm planning to come over with two of my girls to go to the Lucy exhibit (and other stuff) and I'm not interested in scary Seattle drivers (plus we want to use public transpo, as much as possible).
Old 12-29-2008, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Is the public transportation working? It would seem smart to make sure those routes were clear and to encourage people to use that (though are they really being smart?). I remember the storm a couple weeks ago, a city bus was just abandoned on the street in Spokane. Even the plows here have chains on, which I didn't need until the ice puddle formed at the bottom of my driveway.

I hope this crap is dealt with by MLK Jr. weekend. I'm planning to come over with two of my girls to go to the Lucy exhibit (and other stuff) and I'm not interested in scary Seattle drivers (plus we want to use public transpo, as much as possible).
LOL... Metro and Sound transit are VERY PO'ed about their latest treatment. Many of their buses AND their commuter trains were stuck in the 2nd snowstorm and ice. Many of the buses could not make their general routes in the downtown city center. Moreover if they did make it, they were extraordinarily late. Folks either were fed up and did not go into work.

My husband chose to drive, he has 4-wheel drive. The freeways were clear! It was tough getting to the freeways from the side streets due to the stupidity of King county and Seattle's Mayor's office.

That Mercer St.--is already a mess--called the Mercer mess, but it took 2 hours to move the less than 1 quarter of a mile distance. I used to drive that when I worked over there--it was bad when it was dry and in the rain--imagine when there is ALOT of snow and ice? Glad I don't do that anymore...

As far as MLK day--who knows? We are schedule for snow on 12/31 and a few days later. But it may be snow/rain showers and mostly in the foothills...

My husband and I are thinking there will be another snow shower in the Southern North Pole...

Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, OK, I've been out of town for the past 10 days, so I'm just responding to this now.

I'll have you know that we made several trips from Kenmore to Bellevue after the snow and were fine. The only time my Honda Civic got stuck was in my mom's neighborhood because it hadn't been plowed.

The state does NOT use salt on I-405 or I-5. It uses SAND and liquid de-icer, which follow in a truck behind the plowers. In the mountains they might use salt, but I know they also use sand. In addition to the hazards to our waterways, which you know we have lots of here, salt is also very corrosive and creates lots of damage to cars and roads. Anyway, all the salt in the world would not have helped us after this storm. We got 16 inches of snow here - the roads needed to be plowed, not salted! The biggest hazard on the roads in this storm was all of the snow being tossed around on the freeways that hadn't been plowed yet. It was the biggest snow storm in decades, and as you noted, we don't get that kind of weather here often enough to warrant spending big bucks on more plowers. So is it really that surprising that we weren't prepared to deal with it? All of us locals know that Seattle is filled with hills akin to San Francisco - four wheel drives, salt, sand and chains are great, but it would take a miracle for most to get up our hills. Most of us just stayed put and worked from home if we could. I was happy the power stayed on!

Anyway, don't you live in Redmond? I work in Seattle, but live on the Eastside just like you and therefore that's what I cared the most about. Mayor Nickels is a joke and I hope the city votes him out this year, but in the end they're the ones that have to live with him. If you're unhappy with the roads in Redmond, blame Microsoft.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
OK, OK, I've been out of town for the past 10 days, so I'm just responding to this now.

I'll have you know that we made several trips from Kenmore to Bellevue after the snow and were fine. The only time my Honda Civic got stuck was in my mom's neighborhood because it hadn't been plowed.

The state does NOT use salt on I-405 or I-5. It uses SAND and liquid de-icer, which follow in a truck behind the plowers. In the mountains they might use salt, but I know they also use sand. In addition to the hazards to our waterways, which you know we have lots of here, salt is also very corrosive and creates lots of damage to cars and roads. Anyway, all the salt in the world would not have helped us after this storm. We got 16 inches of snow here - the roads needed to be plowed, not salted! The biggest hazard on the roads in this storm was all of the snow being tossed around on the freeways that hadn't been plowed yet. It was the biggest snow storm in decades, and as you noted, we don't get that kind of weather here often enough to warrant spending big bucks on more plowers. So is it really that surprising that we weren't prepared to deal with it? All of us locals know that Seattle is filled with hills akin to San Francisco - four wheel drives, salt, sand and chains are great, but it would take a miracle for most to get up our hills. Most of us just stayed put and worked from home if we could. I was happy the power stayed on!

Anyway, don't you live in Redmond? I work in Seattle, but live on the Eastside just like you and therefore that's what I cared the most about. Mayor Nickels is a joke and I hope the city votes him out this year, but in the end they're the ones that have to live with him. If you're unhappy with the roads in Redmond, blame Microsoft.
I was waiting for your take!!!

I didn't know they chose to NOT use salt on I-405 and I-5--did they use salt up in Everett that got hit pretty hard? IDK?

I didn't drive during the snow in Redmond. Too many looney tunes on the road. My husband ventured out later... But, he has 4WD, as do I but I can't drive in the mess, like he can.

What got me is the Mercer St. mess. I used to work over there. I am glad I don't work over there now. LOL...

Then Mayor Nickels says the handling of the roads and streets in Seattle was superior--like what happened during Hurricane Katrina... I think most people in various areas were prepared for 3-5 days of 2-3 inches of snow. Not a complete shutdown like we experienced. There were some dumbasses that will NEVER learn that driving 100 mph on ice uphill in a Smartcar, is not very bright... And we didn't hear about that many folks sticking generators in their houses this past year...

But when I saw the King 5 news catching the guy plowing the snow on various streets saying you have to request for your street to be cleared, that was when I started this thread...

Microsoft has issues... LOL... PM me... Some chit is about to go down, publicly about Microsoft... And yeah, it has to do with Bill and Melinda...

Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I've lived all over the country, from the Midwest and Northeast, where they use salt very freely, to Dallas, where all they have are sand trucks.

I fall somewhere in the middle on this - I can see the point that Seattle greens are trying to make, and in some northern cities where I've lived the use of salt seemed a bit overboard, but the city cannot come to a complete halt for lack of anything being used.

Of course, it's SO easy for me to sit down here in Florida and tell others who have to live with the snow and ice how to conduct their business!
Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
I've lived all over the country, from the Midwest and Northeast, where they use salt very freely, to Dallas, where all they have are sand trucks.

I fall somewhere in the middle on this - I can see the point that Seattle greens are trying to make, and in some northern cities where I've lived the use of salt seemed a bit overboard, but the city cannot come to a complete halt for lack of anything being used.

Of course, it's SO easy for me to sit down here in Florida and tell others who have to live with the snow and ice how to conduct their business!
I am disliking you right now with the Florida thing...

Anywho, it is snowing here right now. It is said that it will switch to rain. Either way there is ice and the morning commute is going to be a flub...

No sand or salt is going get through any kinna ice...

Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Anywho, it is snowing here right now. It is said that it will switch to rain. Either way there is ice and the morning commute is going to be a flub...

We're now under a snow load roof warning. Since the previous stuff hasn't cleared it is just going to get worse, and that will be compounded by all the college students coming back and parking willy nilly.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

How was your drive this morning? No ice to be found on my way into Seattle...just some slush in a couple places.

Also, the mayor has announced that the city of Seattle is going to be using salt now when necessary. I stick by my original point, though, that salt and sand don't matter at all when the roads haven't been plowed.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
How was your drive this morning? No ice to be found on my way into Seattle...just some slush in a couple places.

Also, the mayor has announced that the city of Seattle is going to be using salt now when necessary. I stick by my original point, though, that salt and sand don't matter at all when the roads haven't been plowed.
We've got a snow day for the University here, and hopefully they will get some plowing done. The snow stopped and it is windy, and foggy, the rain should be here soon and hopefully it won't flood if the storm drains are ice jammed.