Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 825
1 members and 824 guests
No Members online

Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^I agree. Is there a problem with serving BOTH types of food (as long as you can guarantee that their food can be prepared kosher in the same facility as the Chinese food)?

I just don't see why ALL of your food has to be Chinese. I've seen kosher food available at Jewish-Italian weddings and Jewish-Korean weddings, so I'm sure it is possible with you two.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
You could, actually would probably have to, have them prepared by different caterers, or at least in different kitchens. But it could be done, and then you just keep them separate in the reception hall.
Would that be an issue with the caterers, though?

Also, Mr. Tau said something along the lines of "some of my relatives would not be happy even if certain foods at the reception aren't kosher, even if they aren't going to eat it."

You know, if they're that religious, they probably won't be going to an interfaith wedding, right? I guess I'll find out at his sister's wedding this summer. The wedding is at a country club, so unless the club is historically Jewish, it's unlikely that the food will be kosher at all.

RE: Chinese food - I never said that the food was going to be all Chinese. It was Mr. Tau's idea that we'd have a combination of Chinese food and "Jewish" food at the reception.

BTW: I'm NOT officially engaged yet...we've just been talking, because everyone we know seems to be getting married.

Last edited by Taualumna; 05-12-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taualumna View Post
He's also gone on about having a reception that is a mix of Chinese and Jewish culture, yet he says that the food must be kosher, because some of his relatives are observant
It's his reception, too. If he wants his family to feel welcomed (particularly those who keep kosher), then follow his suggestions. Maybe I'm reading this all wrong, but it sounds like you want one type of reception, and you're upset because he's "going on" about what he wants (which, apparently, is different from what you want).

I agree with those who have said it sounds like you might have more issues than you think.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for the double-post, but...

Quote:
Would that be an issue with the caterers, though?
Who cares?!? It's your (hypothetical) wedding. If the caterer has an issue with it, find another caterer.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post

I agree with those who have said it sounds like you might have more issues than you think.
I agree.

The issue of kosher is a common issue that people who have been a unit for almost 3 years could figure out on their own. She came here with (what I considered to be) a difficult to understand invitation into their relatioship issues.

Good luck, Taualumna.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
It's his reception, too. If he wants his family to feel welcomed (particularly those who keep kosher), then follow his suggestions. Maybe I'm reading this all wrong, but it sounds like you want one type of reception, and you're upset because he's "going on" about what he wants (which, apparently, is different from what you want).

We can't have a dual culture reception if we need to keep kosher. That's all I'm saying. I also don't think his family's as religious as he says they are, but as I said, I'll find out this summer.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Google has a lot of resources.

Here's one board (if this relationship isn't kosher just because of the kosher wedding issue):

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/374701
Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Why are you JUST NOW having issues with him/his family keeping kosher? What have you done when issues like this have come up in the past?

I'm only asking because this is important for you guys to work out. If you're already having kosher-related issues, what are you going to do about cooking family dinners and such?

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Why are you JUST NOW having issues with him/his family keeping kosher? What have you done when issues like this have come up in the past?

I'm only asking because this is important for you guys to work out. If you're already having kosher-related issues, what are you going to do about cooking family dinners and such?

It's never really been an issue because his immediate family does not keep kosher. I've only met his parents, sister and one or two uncles and aunts (who are not religious).
Old 05-12-2008, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We can't have a dual culture reception if we need to keep kosher. That's all I'm saying.
And yet it seems that others have been to "dual-culture" receptions where there is kosher (not kosher-style) food available.

Seriously, why would you ask if you should split over this issue?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And yet it seems that others have been to "dual-culture" receptions where there is kosher (not kosher-style) food available.

Seriously, why would you ask if you should split over this issue?
Actually, I'm not sure that other family members have been to dual-culture receptions. In fact, it's very likely his sister's wedding will be the first for many.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually, I'm not sure that other family members have been to dual-culture receptions. In fact, it's very likely his sister's wedding will be the first for many.
I meant other people here on GC.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So why would you SPLIT because of this?

Are you looking for a reason to split?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
So why would you SPLIT because of this?

Are you looking for a reason to split?
Just looking for some sort of solution.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just looking for some sort of solution.
Let me get this straight. You're not engaged yet, and you're asking people on a web forum for help in finding a solution -- which according to you could be splitting up, talking or something else -- about the "issue" of what food to serve at the reception? (Okay, to be a little more charitable, about how to keep from offending his more observant not-immediate-family relatives at the wedding.)

Did I get that right?