GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,266
3 members and 1,263 guests
flirt5721, KEGirl01

Old 02-22-2003, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to oceanphi01
You aren't allowed to hand anything out to the girls going through recruitment at all. It's an NPC rule and can be considered dirty rushing if you do. To avoid this we usually just wait until Bid Day to shower them with girfts.

Green, green the ivy twines...
Old 02-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn
Back in the olden days when I pledged, we were given some VERY nice "favors". I would think the major reasons were budget (one group usually wanted to "do things better" than the other groups). Also, in a way, it was sort of a waste of money, in my opinion, why give out lots of gifts bearing your letters to people who will never be initiated into finding out what they really mean.

In some cases, it may have led to someone pretending to belong to a group but really didn't.

I guess every campus might have differences, but I would think that rules apply for formal and informal recruitment...at least "favor" wise.

My first guess in $$!!

So true, Lynn! Back at Auburn in the seventies, all the sororities gave really expensive favors in formal rush. We gave an arrow lavalier and a sterling bowl with an arrow on it! My roommate was a Chi O and they gave some expensive stuff too but the main thing I remember is that every member had to take home the parts to 2 stuffed owls and actually SEW them (they were BIG!) over the summer. Boy, was she mad--she'd never touched a needle!