Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,242
2 members and 1,240 guests
amIblue?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I am yet another person with somewhat the same questions as TexasRose. I'll pose a stronger point in this thread. I know that it is something "special" yet I know in my heart that I want to give myself in time, philanthropy and heart to a sorority. My mother is a Beta Sigma Phi and I've met with a few chapters but they are so aniquated that it doesn't work for me. I have such a strong respect for NPC's that I know these are the only sororities that will fulfill what I am looking for in a group. I know I won't get the "college" experience but I want to be part of something great. I do have a degree and am curious if there is any way I might join a sorority even though I have long since graduated. What is there for some of us to do?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelgirl View Post
I am yet another person with somewhat the same questions as TexasRose. I'll pose a stronger point in this thread. I know that it is something "special" yet I know in my heart that I want to give myself in time, philanthropy and heart to a sorority. My mother is a Beta Sigma Phi and I've met with a few chapters but they are so aniquated that it doesn't work for me. I have such a strong respect for NPC's that I know these are the only sororities that will fulfill what I am looking for in a group. I know I won't get the "college" experience but I want to be part of something great. I do have a degree and am curious if there is any way I might join a sorority even though I have long since graduated. What is there for some of us to do?
Become involved in your community through other organizations and meet lots of people (not just members of an NPC). Since you generally won't be successful "shopping" for an AI sorority, make your contributions to your community count for the right reasons. If you are eventually asked to join a group (maybe after 30-50 years of organizational or community commitment) it will be the honor to you that it is intended for the group that has selected you for this special membership. Greek letters are not a requirement of someone who really wants to lend a hand in their community so help out as much as you can now regardless of the "organization" you are doing the service for.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

To the OP, I'm sorry your funding didn't go through, but your efforts may be better concentrated on how to obtain a college degree than joining a sorority. That should be your first priority - obtaining a degree. It is a VERY difficult world out there for someone without a college degree. Your earnings throughout your life will be much lower (of course, there are exceptions- like if you become famous or something!).

Good luck to you, but now is a time to buckle down and prioritize.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
My mother is a Beta Sigma Phi and I've met with a few chapters but they are so antiquated that it doesn't work for me.
Help me here Betas, but can't you charter a new chapter, with women more your age? Also, please be aware that some NPC alum chapters are also filled with nothing but older women and run in a pretty "antiquated" fashion themselves.

Quote:
I have such a strong respect for NPC's that I know these are the only sororities that will fulfill what I am looking for in a group.
Sisterhood isn't about letters or ceremonies, it's about the experiences you share. If you continually tell yourself "only in an NPC can I get this experience" you may cheat yourself out of something wonderful.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I I have such a strong respect for NPC's that I know these are the only sororities that will fulfill what I am looking for in a group.
I know I'm going to sound like a crank here but how are you so sure that NPC sororities are the only groups that could fulfill what you're looking for? Have you explored every single fraternal group in the world, ever? Have you explored every social club in the world, ever?

It's frustrating for members of sororities to see women who are so convinced that AI for NPCs is the only way, and then they're unsuccessful. Lack of success breeds a lot of contempt among non-affiliated toward affiliated women, I think.

Also, please remember that especially in the case of AI, NPC sororities are MUCH CHOOSIER with who gets the honor versus those who get bids via tradiational recruitment or COR. You need to fulfill THEIR needs in a unique and special way, and let's face it, there are so few unique and special people out there.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
and let's face it, there are so few unique and special people out there.
Thanks Tyler Durden. ha ha.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just a note:

I seriously don't think I can stress this enough:

Everyone who never joined in college is not a good candidate for AI, nor will they be considered for it.

99% of women who join a sorority do so in college, and a very very small percentage of women are invited to join as an alumna.

A woman selected as an alumna initiate is someone that the sorority feels is SO SPECIAL that they will make an exception to their normal membership procedures (collegiate recruitment) and allow her to join as an alumna.

Also, there are quite a few groups who provide sisterhood, philanthropy and such that are not NPC sororities (or sororities at all).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-04-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I appreciate everyone's responses. As for Beta Sigma Phi, I'm glad that you enjoy your experience with them but I neither want to charter a chapter or feel as if they are something I would be interested in joining. Even the women I have met expressed that on the National level they were antiquated so they are out of the questions.

Also, I do volunteer A LOT. I also have joined the Junior League and will be starting my provisional year so maybe once that gets going I won't feel as if there is so much missing. Part of what I would like to do is work with girls on the college level. I would love to be an almost mentor or big sister without specifically focusing on my career field or some religious affiliation. I look back and wish I had had someone to better help me transition from being a teenager to being a young woman. It cost my parents a lot of many as I bounced around in college and me much time to finally gets things figured out. I only explain all this so you all could see where I'm coming from with my interest.

I'm definitely not trying to shop. Just wondering if someone had any advice. I'm sure it will all work out for the best.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Part of what I would like to do is work with girls on the college level. I would love to be an almost mentor or big sister without specifically focusing on my career field or some religious affiliation.
Something to think about:

Working with collegians does involve serving as a mentor of sorts, but for the most part, advising a collegiate chapter involves you being the "responsible adult" figure and monitoring chapter's activities and such. It's also not always easy or full of "warm fuzzies." The collegians don't always love, agree with, or look up to you like a "big sister."

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Even the women I have met expressed that on the National level they were antiquated so they are out of the questions.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Help me here Betas, but can't you charter a new chapter, with women more your age? Also, please be aware that some NPC alum chapters are also filled with nothing but older women and run in a pretty "antiquated" fashion themselves.

That is correct. In Beta Sigma Phi you can charter your own chapter with your own set of friends or people within your own age group. If you are interested in more information on that you can send an email to:
rushing-friendlyventure@betasigmaphi.org
Old 08-04-2009, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Working with collegians does involve serving as a mentor of sorts, but for the most part, advising a collegiate chapter involves you being the "responsible adult" figure and monitoring chapter's activities and such. It's also not always easy or full of "warm fuzzies." The collegians don't always love, agree with, or look up to you like a "big sister."

This is so true. While some may want to be bffs with the members, that is not the purpose of the advisory positions, and it is often a very frustrating, time consuming pursuit. I would encourage you to continue to your involvement in the Junior League, and possibly pursuing something like tutoring opportunities. I tutored a student when I was in college and it was very rewarding. You just need to be open to the opportunities that are out there and if AI is meant to be, it will come to you, not vice versa.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Also, please be aware that some NPC alum chapters are also filled with nothing but older women and run in a pretty "antiquated" fashion themselves.
YES.

For example, my local alumna chapter has a pretty wide range of ages (from 20s to 40s and some older than that). However, there are other alumna chapters in the state in which all of the members are 50 and up. Every chapter is not going to be filled with 20-something recent grads.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

As a recruitment advisor for my chapter who just finished a weekend retreat, I agree with that statement 110%. Advisors arent there to be buddies with the college members. That is not their purpose. We are there to advise them and be a mentor.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Rebelgirl:
Have you tried contacting the International office of Beta Sigma Phi on your own rather than by going on the opinions of a few?