GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Phi Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,223
0 members and 1,223 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2002, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh and we do have some young alumnae groups-- but we have to rely on our motivated and excited alumnae to start them!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 10:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
To be a bit of devil's advocate, if you want something you have to be willing to go and get it if it's important to you. Cream, I'd encourage you to start that young alumnae group in your area. Heather17 is right...volunteering is so diversified, and you can do something that takes 10 minutes a day or 2 hours a day or 2 hours a year. It's up to YOU what you can do
Old 09-20-2002, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know where I can find a list of inactive chapters? I looked on dphie.org, but didn't see it there.

I think I remember seeing the list in the Triad, but I am not receiving it, even though I updated my addres

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2002, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Here is a link for a list of all active and inactive chapters from my chapter's website. It ends with Gamma Alpha chapter. It is the most acurate list that I have ever seen.

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark...8/chapters.htm
Old 09-20-2002, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather17
Cream-- WHAT? Volunteering is not an option for you or most alumnae??? There is something for EVERYONE in the new volunteer structure. There are positions that take a few hours a day, a few hours a week or a few hours a year. You don't have to go to Convention if you are a volunteer. And on occasion, Convention costs are subsidized for volunteers (not always).

I too have always wondered why we have Conventions so far away from our base. The answers I have received are: our collegians don't want to just have a Convention in their city-- they want to go somewhere fun AND it is extremely expensive to have a Convention in the NE compared with other parts of the country. When they pick Convention sites, it is based on bids and where we can get the best deals. But I will also say that it looks like (from my inside sources) the next Convention after San Antonio may return to the NE if we can find an inexpensive site.

That's my 26 cents!
Actually, volunteering really isn't an option for me or too many alumnae I know. I have been out of college for about ten years and free time to volunteer is a luxury that I do not have. My time and that of my friends is consumed with career and family responsibilities that new alumnae usually do not have. After college, priorities shift.

As for a NE convention, there was a beautiful one in NJ to celebrate our 75th Anniversary in 1992. It was less expensive because there was no plane fare for many if not most attendees.

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather17
Oh and we do have some young alumnae groups-- but we have to rely on our motivated and excited alumnae to start them!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat

To be a bit of devil's advocate, if you want something you have to be willing to go and get it if it's important to you. Cream, I'd encourage you to start that young alumnae group in your area. Heather17 is right...volunteering is so diversified, and you can do something that takes 10 minutes a day or 2 hours a day or 2 hours a year. It's up to YOU what you can do
I'm now too old for a young alumnae association. I'm referring to when I was first out of college ten years ago. I know my friend in another sorority was invited to join her sorority's Junior or Young (I can't remember which) AA after college. I thought that would be a good way to remain involved. Unfortunately, there wasn't that option in the early 1990's. I'm glad to learn that that has changed.

I'm surprised that my little post received so many responses. I respect your volunteerism. My point, which I think might have been overlooked, is a good way to strengthen AAs is to have a Young AA for recent alumnae in order to maintain the momentum that they had as undergrads. If there are strong Young (and old ) Alumnae Associations in every major city, that's step in the right direction in 'improving one thing in D Phi E' in my opinion.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 09-20-2002 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I just reread your post Heather. I didn't catch that phrase "the new volunteer structure." My experience is based on the old structure, I guess. It seemed that most of the volunteer positions (when I was looking into it) would be as time consuming as a part time job. That really was impossible for me. If that has changed, that is definitely a good thing.

HMMM maybe I can be a volunteer, too. A position with little to no travelling and a couple of hours of my time a week would suit me.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Cream.......

...been following your posts for a long time....good to see you changing your mind.....

DPhiE has over 170 women volunteering to serve our organization right now. There are plenty of open positions, and I am sure you could be able to find one that suits you and your time schedule!!!!

Think about what you'd like to do.......work with collegians, work with alums to help them reconnect, help collect and preserve our history, serve on a convention team..........there are lots of positions!!!

To see what might be available and to just get a feel for what is out there, contact Shirley Barta, the Director of Volunteer Services at mabarta@essex1.com.

Iris
Old 09-21-2002, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Iris

...I'm not sure if I'm changing my mind. I'll look into it though. Thanks.

...BTW, who are you????? I'm very curious.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Cream,

...PM'd you the answer....

Iris
Old 09-22-2002, 07:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Cream--

We'll keep working on you to volunteer, so don't expect us to give up Iris and I are both persistent!!!
Old 09-23-2002, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that you can be very convincing. I'm going to further investigate volunteer options later this week.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

....................Hooray!!!!!!!!!!

Iris
Old 01-11-2007, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to megahotmaureen Send a message via MSN to megahotmaureen
Expansion to the West Coast, more alumnae support, and training actives to be better alums
Old 01-11-2007, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megahotmaureen View Post
training actives to be better alums
I totally second that... the South Florida Alumnae Association is focusing its efforts this year on just that. We have scheduled meetings with the four active chapters in the area in order to help them formulate an effective strategy to increase the number of active alumnae produced from each chapter. We are focusing on the importance of gearing programming for juniors/seniors who might have lost interest, mentorships between seniors & alumnae in order to form connections beyond the collegiate chapter, as well as programming for alumnae in order to keep them motivated & appreciated. The SFAA's goal this year is not only to increase its membership [obviously] but to also instill the "Sisters Always" mentality. We hope to convey the vital importance of ALUMNAE to the south florida chapters- how the livelihood of our beloved organization lies in the alumnae we produce today... the only way our organization will continue to strive & grow in the future is through alumnae support.

*sorry for rambling

YITS
carolina