GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,545
4 members and 1,541 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman, Titchou

Old 05-15-2004, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

exlurker, thank you for that posting link! It is very interesting to read.

It might be, that the National Supposedly regularatory groups have become so self centered that they are losing the purpose for which they werre started? Well, maybe even at the local level?

Maybe a lot depends on how the School so designates responsibilities on how Greeks are regarded.

With The Larger Greeks, they want school recognition and condolences for oporation.

Here again, the schools are looking at larger Organizations to do the policing, and insurance for them to do on them selves.

It still gets back to risk management and insurance.

Why jeapordize the school when most of the bad problems will fall back upon the Greeks themselves and not the school.

They can act dumb! Oh even for a Higher Educational Learning School!

Oh, In Coming, Cover Your ASS!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-15-2004, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerLilly
Like you were saying...can a public institution really ban local GLOs? Not to burst your bubble, TSteven, but I can't find anything in UK's student organization bylaws or Panhellenic Council bylaws (didn't look in IFC's) that sounds like a ban on local GLOs. Can anyone name other colleges that have this rule? I agree I can see why university administrations would prefer to have GLOs with some kind of governing body above the university level, but can they really ban ones that don't have that? Or just "strongly discourage" them?
TigerLilly and crzychx - thanks for the UK information. And crzychx - apologies for leaving you off the original "UK list".

Here is a link to the University Policies regarding "Criteria For Consideration of Student Organization Registration as a Social Fraternity or Sorority" at UK.

http://www.uky.edu/StudentAffairs/Greek/define.htm

I've posted information specific to recognition.

2. The organization must have recognition as a colony or chapter in good standing of an inter/national social fraternity or sorority as recognized by the Internal Revenue Service under the provisions of Section 86.14 of the regulations promulgated under Title IX of the U.S. Education Act Amendments of 1972. The University of Kentucky will not register a local organization as a social sorority or fraternity. In support of the relationship with an inter/national fraternity/sorority, the organization should receive an annual minimum of one (1) on-campus visit from an inter/national sorority/fraternity staff member or officer, unless granted exception from the Fraternity and Sorority Affairs staff due to extenuating circumstances (e.g., financial restrictions, staffing limitations) or alternative arrangements. To further demonstrate the support from the inter/national organization, its staff and alumni/ae, the student organization will submit for consideration relevant materials in a format deemed appropriate by the Dean of Students which addresses the following items:

a. inter/national support to the organization and its chapters in general,

b. alumni/ae within the vicinity of Lexington,

c. chapters located at college campuses in Kentucky and surrounding states,

d. students, faculty, and/or staff interested in establishing/supporting the organization,

e. previous affiliation with the University of Kentucky (if applicable), and

f. other items as requested by the Dean of Students.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
The University of Kentucky will not register a local organization as a social sorority or fraternity.
While a local organization may not be registered as a social sorority or fraternity, I'm sure they could be registered as some other type of group.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:06 AM
GreekChat Member

UT-San Antonio has the rule too.

As an undergrad serving on IFC, I once asked the greek advisor about it and he said, "Unofficially, no way. The university wants several levels of accountability." The last local was in 1993. They eventually affilliated with Kappa Sigma. They had been organized as a KS interest group.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And crzychx - apologies for leaving you off the original "UK list".
Huh?
Old 05-17-2004, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

Quote:
Both Ceres and Phi Sigma Rho are "social" in nature and members of UK's Panhellenic Council.
I'm fully aware that they are "social" in nature, but they are not considered social sororities. They do not participate in formal recruitment and they are solely for for agricultural or engineering students. This is why (as I was told by the president of the UK Panhellenic Council-a Sigma Kappa @ the time) they are allowed on campus.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
I'm fully aware that they are "social" in nature, but they are not considered social sororities. They do not participate in formal recruitment and they are solely for for agricultural or engineering students. This is why (as I was told by the president of the UK Panhellenic Council-a Sigma Kappa @ the time) they are allowed on campus.

Just wanted to clarify that Phi Sigma Rho Sorority is purely a “social sorority,” just like any of the 26 NPC sororities/fraternities! We do not promote a particular profession, and we are not a professional organization. Almost all of our 20 chapters/colonies are recognized by Greek Life on their campuses, and most are either full or associate members of the Panhel.

Yes, we generally choose our members from particular academic majors, but this is our choice to limit the pool of candidates that we recruit from. However, having an initial academic requirement does not make us a professional organization. For example, there are sororities/fraternities that have an academic requirement for initial members way above a 2.0 GPA, but this does not make them honorary organizations.

Also, participation in formal rush has nothing to do with being a social sorority. Remember, formal rush is not a requirement but a recruitment option that a chapter can make. The other option is to wait until after formal rush and just COB, which is what the majority of our chapters do. If you have any questions about Phi Sigma Rho, please feel free to PM me!
Old 05-17-2004, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Huh?
Sorry for the confusion.

In my original post, I had asked for some clarification regarding the University of Kentucky's policies from known GCers who usually have information regarding UK.

Perhaps AchtungBaby80, GtownGirl98, TigerLilly, or UKDaisy can confirm or may have more information.

In my haste to get my original message posted, I inadvertently left you - and I believe AOIIalum as well - off the list of GCers who are aficionados of Greek life at UK. I wanted to acknowledge that with my thanks and apologies for having left you off the list.

Again, thank you for your help and insight.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiRhoSister
Just wanted to clarify that Phi Sigma Rho Sorority is purely a “social sorority,” just like any of the 26 NPC sororities/fraternities! We do not promote a particular profession, and we are not a professional organization. Almost all of our 20 chapters/colonies are recognized by Greek Life on their campuses, and most are either full or associate members of the Panhel.

Yes, we generally choose our members from particular academic majors, but this is our choice to limit the pool of candidates that we recruit from. However, having an initial academic requirement does not make us a professional organization. For example, there are sororities/fraternities that have an academic requirement for initial members way above a 2.0 GPA, but this does not make them honorary organizations.

Also, participation in formal rush has nothing to do with being a social sorority. Remember, formal rush is not a requirement but a recruitment option that a chapter can make. The other option is to wait until after formal rush and just COB, which is what the majority of our chapters do. If you have any questions about Phi Sigma Rho, please feel free to PM me!
I'm just speaking for the Phi Sigma Rho sorority on UK campus. On UK's campus they are not a social sorority but are a professional organization.
Its true, its true.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

According to The University of Kentucky's Fraternity & Sorority Affairs Office web site, both Ceres and Phi Sigma Rho are listed as social sororities.

And my understanding is that both chapters participate in UK's Greek social events as well.

Regarding recruitment, both Ceres and Phi Sigma Rho are included in the University of Kentucky's official Sorority Membership Recruitment booklet published by the Panhellenic Council which lists all the social sororities. This booklet is sent to each PNM going through formal recruitment.

The booklet does note that Ceres, Phi Sigma Rho - and the Pan-Hellenic chapters - hold recruitment later in the year.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

Quote:
I'm just speaking for the Phi Sigma Rho sorority on UK campus. On UK's campus they are not a social sorority but are a professional organization.
Its true, its true.
From the Phi Sigma Rho - Epsilon Chapter's web site.

http://www.uky.edu/StudentOrgs/PSR/

"Welcome to the University of Kentucky Phi Sigma Rho chapter webpage. Phi Sigma Rho is a national social sorority for females in engineering and technical fields. We promote life-long friendship, high standards in scholarship, and encourage excellence in all endeavors.

The Epsilon Chapter is very active in the College of Engineering and in Greek Life at UK. We participate in philanthropy events such as our annual Bowl-A-Thon for the American Cancer Society.

On this site you will find information about and links for our national organization, our chapter, and our members. If you are not currently a member of Phi Sigma Rho and are interested in pursuing membership please see our Rush section for information on joining."
Old 05-17-2004, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
According to The University of Kentucky's Fraternity & Sorority Affairs Office web site, both Ceres and Phi Sigma Rho are listed as social sororities.

And my understanding is that both chapters participate in UK's Greek social events as well.

Regarding recruitment, both Ceres and Phi Sigma Rho are included in the University of Kentucky's official Sorority Membership Recruitment booklet published by the Panhellenic Council which lists all the social sororities. This booklet is sent to each PNM going through formal recruitment.

The booklet does note that Ceres, Phi Sigma Rho - and the Pan-Hellenic chapters - hold recruitment later in the year.
Hey, wow I didn't really know about any of this. SO I'll be no help at all!

However, I do know that Ceres pays annual dues to UK NPC so they can be included in Greek Week activities. They do not participate in recruitment - their recruitment is the week following Rush. But by paying dues they are included in tons of activities and events that other organizations that are not members don't have access too.
They also have a house, so that's pretty social to me IMO.
I would try to research some info on this, but when it comes to Greek bylaws and such I become insanely "special" and do not understand any of it.

Sorry TSteven!!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

Quote:
Its true, its true.
Uh, actually, that's wrong, that's wrong. I've been friends with a girl in the UK chapter since freshman year, and through her have met several other girls in the chapter. They ARE a social organization.
Other people have already shown how they are social in classification. They are also social in nature because they get together all the time, do things as a chapter, etc. They even had an unofficial Phi Sigma Rho house last year (not sure if they still have it this year). It was explained it to me as that they are a social sorority, but with the engineering emphasis they realize that that can be a very demanding major that can take time away from the sorority. They are probably more cooperative with situations like a member needing to take a semester off to co-op, for example. BUT they are not like, say, the German honor society (a professional organization) that gets together once a semester to induct new members and that's it.
Just because they're not NPC doesn't mean that they are not a social sorority. And by the way, Phi Sigma Rho is an associate member of UK's Panhellenic Council, so I don't see how they could not be classified as a social organization!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Only (inter)national GLOs allowed

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerLilly
Uh, actually, that's wrong, that's wrong. I've been friends with a girl in the UK chapter since freshman year, and through her have met several other girls in the chapter. They ARE a social organization.
Other people have already shown how they are social in classification. They are also social in nature because they get together all the time, do things as a chapter, etc. They even had an unofficial Phi Sigma Rho house last year (not sure if they still have it this year). It was explained it to me as that they are a social sorority, but with the engineering emphasis they realize that that can be a very demanding major that can take time away from the sorority. They are probably more cooperative with situations like a member needing to take a semester off to co-op, for example. BUT they are not like, say, the German honor society (a professional organization) that gets together once a semester to induct new members and that's it.
Just because they're not NPC doesn't mean that they are not a social sorority. And by the way, Phi Sigma Rho is an associate member of UK's Panhellenic Council, so I don't see how they could not be classified as a social organization!
I guess you all have missed that I am just speaking from information I was given by a UK Panhellenic Council President. And this was from when I was @ UK, which has been a few years. Maybe things have changed...?
Old 05-17-2004, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

CERES is social. Everywhere.

That is all, good day.