GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,548
3 members and 1,545 guests
Cookiez17, Low D Flat, Toeshoes

Old 12-22-2005, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
That is because You are Special, just not from living In Gods Country=Kansas!
No kidding. The high on Christmas is going to be 60 degrees here! Can't beat that with a stick.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

We make them stretch throughout Christmas Day. We have this ritual in which the kids get up on Christmas morning and then when Mr. Carnation and I are ready, they line up, oldest first, and go into the family room where the gifts are grouped under their stockings. Then in the late morning, we go to the grandparents' house and open presents there. In the evening, we open our Secret Santa presents to each other.

This is the first Christmas where all the kids won't be here on Christmas morning, ASLFRose having gotten married, and they won't be here until Christmas afternoon. We understand since they were here the last 2 Christmas mornings, but still...

Last edited by carnation; 12-22-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
Christmas Eve is not a holiday.

OH but it IS, it's my birthday My family has never opened gifts on X-mas eve for this reason, I do however get to open B-day gifts, which I happily accept.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom never let us open ANYTHING on Xmas Eve.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I have all older sisters w/their own families, we get together on Christmas Eve to let the "kids" open their presents. That way, everyone is w/their own little family on Christmas Day
Old 12-22-2005, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

It's ALWAYS been Christmas Day in my family.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:46 PM

When I was little, I would be given one gift to open on Christmas Eve: my Christmas nightdress. This was a flannel nightdress or pajamas, usually with a Christmasy design - or at least red and white. I would warm it by the fire and sleep in it that night. On Christmas morning, after Mass, we'd eat a big breakfast and then open all the other gifts.

These days, we usually spend Christmas with my family, and open gifts on Christmas morning. We exchange gifts with my in-laws whenever we happen to get together with them during the holiday season. My husband and I tend to open our gifts to each other whenever they happen to arrive, rather than waiting for a particular date.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

When my brother lived with us, we opened them up on Christmas eve, because he simply cannot wait. You know "Calvin & Hobbes"? I'm convinced he was the original Calvin!

We open our presents on Christmas morning now - the way it's supposed to be. Isn't the whole gift part all about anticipation?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by christiangirl
THANK YOU!!!!! None of this, "Oh, they just couldn't wait" nonsense. This is how it's supposed to be, if we did it the night before, where would the magic be?
I don't think that is always the case. Many traditions surround Christmas Eve, and many cultures celebrate Christmas differently. For many Christmas Eve is often celebrated just as much as Christmas Day.

Christmas Eve
Old 12-22-2005, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
I don't think that is always the case. Many traditions surround Christmas Eve, and many cultures celebrate Christmas differently. For many Christmas Eve is often celebrated just as much as Christmas Day.

Christmas Eve
Thank you!

Just because people don't do things exactly the way you do it, doesn't mean they are WRONG.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

This year will be Christmas Eve at my parents, Christmas Day at his. I was planning to be with my family Christmas day, but his threw such a fit that my mom being the peacemaker agreed to take Christmas eve.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
As a kid, we would go to my grandparents and open presents there. My dad would pick me up later in the evening. I would go to his house and we would open presents Christmas morning. A few hours after opening gifts he would drive me to my mom's where my mom and I had our Christmas. So Santa came to my dad's house and my mom's house.

Since getting married and having kids we use to try to cram- my mom, his parents, and my dad all in the same night. That lasted until we had our first kid and I decided that was crazy. We went to my dad's on Christmas eve and opened gifts there. On Christmas day my mom and my husbands parents would come to our house for breakfast, gifts and then Christmas dinner.

This year is completely different as well. Since we won't be going to my dads we are going to dinner with firends and opening our gifts on Christmas day. I have NOTHING under the tree right now. There is nothing from us or to other people. I don't want to listen to two little boys beg to open presents so I put everything out after they go to sleep on Christmas Eve.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:30 PM
cutiepatootie

We go to Christmas eve candlelight services ( i sing in the choir) and we open one gift when we get home. we have a traditional christmas eve dinner of lasagna, go to church coem home and open the one gift and have egg nog and cookies. open the rest christmas morning
Old 12-23-2005, 03:47 PM

Christmas Day. We'd never get everyone to sleep if we did it otherwise. However, there have been times where one gift was opened on Christmas Eve, especially if we were traveling the next day and the gift would come in handy to keep the kids happy
Old 12-25-2006, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaver View Post
I am militant about opening them on Christmas. Ya cant open them on christmas eve. .... Christmas Eve is not a holiday.
Ha ha...that's funny, because when I was little, I thought everyone else was "wrong" for celebrating on Christmas Day.... Now, it's like, woo hoo, I get 2 days of Christmas: Dec 24 and 25.