GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,387
0 members and 1,387 guests
No Members online

Old 09-22-2000, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I began playing the clarinet in the sixth grade. I was also a member of the color guard all four years of high school. It was so much fun.
Old 09-22-2000, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Thumbs up

Alto and tenor saxaphone and mellophone - another band geek checks in.

Speaking of marching bands, any DCI fans out there? Go SCV!
Old 09-22-2000, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my DCI!!!!! The year I was in the color guard, our instructor was from the Cavaliers, and I loved Madison Scouts! They were both sharp!
Old 09-22-2000, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Mikki,
Did you know Cavies tied for first this year? Saw them in Denver this summer at DATR - AWESOME show. My favorite is still SCV - though cavs, troopers, scouts, and phantom regiment are also very good.
Old 09-22-2000, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I took piano lessons for 3 years, but somehow got away with never having to learn how to read music. My teacher would just fill in the letters above each note. I really regret that now.

My other connection to the music world is I'm a marching band widow. My boyfriend of 3 years is a member of the LSU Golden Band From Tigerland. I vascilate between being so proud of him and hating the whole thing for taking up so much time . Any other band/non-band relationships out there that are like this?
Old 09-23-2000, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Thumbs up

I played piano for a while when I was in elementary school, then violin in jr. high and some of high school. I sorta picked up the viola on a lark - actually, it's my favorite instrument! MaMaBuddha, humming counts for sure, as a form of singing! I took formal training for a while in north Indian classical music, which was *really* cool. Of anything I learned, I still sing the best.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 09-26-2000, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

2 years of Clarinet in junior high and 2 years of Tenor Sax. I got into H.S. football so there wasnt the time for me to be in band. I must say Tenor Sax was my favorite instrument.

Kevin
Beta Theta Pi
Old 10-03-2000, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I played the french horn for 6 years and I really miss it. I also want to give a shout out to all the ladies who played brass instruments and not those girlie woodwinds .

------------------
We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.

Aesop c550 BC

[This message has been edited by MIDWESTDIVA (edited October 03, 2000).]
Old 10-04-2000, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by MIDWESTDIVA:
I also want to give a shout out to all the ladies who played brass instruments and not those girlie woodwinds .

aawww man....you had to go there....it wasn't my choice to play clarinet. i wanted to play drums, but i was told, by one of my parents, "girls don't play the drums. girls only play flute and clarinet" ain't that some mess?? but yeah, i have to give mad props to the ladies holdin it down in the brass section, ESPECIALLY those holding it down in an HBCU band.

Old 10-05-2000, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I'm a woodwind player, majored in flute. And here's a little known fact, the flute takes more air than any other instrument. Why? Because only about 33% of the air coming from the mouth actually goes into the instrument--flute players have to have lungs of steel and unbelievable control. You have to give us props for that. I've seen 'big bad' tuba players say they could handle it, then get dizzy and light headed when they try. So there! LOL
Old 10-06-2000, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, Okay,

I will take this opportunity to give all the ladies of the woodwind family their props. I remember getting light headed when I tried to play a flute.

And, yes I have to give all our HBCU bands their props as well, especially FAMU!

------------------
We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.

Aesop c550 BC
Old 10-08-2000, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedAngel Send a message via Yahoo to RedAngel
I have to agree with Mgdzkm433 you have to have good lungs and poise to play the flute especially in a marching band. I have played flute, recorder and piccolo for over 25 years (started in junior high continued through high school). I also played saxophone and drums in high school (four years). My favorite will always be the flute.
RedAngel
Old 10-12-2000, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Woodwinds and strings--Flute (Elem tru HS) and Violin(Elem tru JH) and later the piano also elem chorus and church choir, if those count for anything. Marching band and concert band. I was a busy kid
Almost forgot,piccolo for a hot minute but gave it up because I'd practically pass out after about playing for 60 seconds!

[This message has been edited by theXgirl (edited October 12, 2000).]
Old 10-12-2000, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's here it for the FLUTE players. I played from middle school throughout high school. Went to competitions all over the state even was section leader of the year as well as Outstanding Junior and Senior. Every now and then, I play at weddings and at my church, as long as I have enough advance notice! That was before I moved to Kansas.

I have to give a shout out to the "Silver Streaks" in the Jackson State University "Sonic Boom of the South!"
Old 10-19-2000, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a little outdated, but I saw a DCI reference!!! Love to the Madison Scouts, I have a lot of friends who were or are in there and they will NEVER WALK ALONE!!! also to Pioneer.

I was a voice major for a few years in college, but I played Trombone for about 8 weeks in 5th grade if that counts!