Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,204
2 members and 1,202 guests
MSKKG, PrettyBoy

Old 10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post

(and sometimes you folks are just too much for me).
And this looks like it's gonna be one of those days...I will just sit back and watch this one play out.

Join me and pop some popcorn. The usual players will pop in momentarily.

You may want to read this This kind of adds to what KSig said earlier.

Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 10-09-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I wonder how much of it is the European Community "commending" the US, for lack of a better word, for electing the opposite of George W. Bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
I think that has a lot to do with it, and I think the President is benefitting from a reversal of the anti-Bush international backlash.
This is completely a "message award;" that doesn't necessarily make it different than past Nobel Prizes, but I think people should at least keep that point in mind.

But I think it's open to interpretation of whether that should actually be the case.

I'll admit that I have a rather limited understanding of the Nobel criteria for each of the categories. My limited understanding, though, is that in other categories (science and literature for example), the prize is given for someone who has either completed or substantially completed something. In the science categories, the individuals involved have either discovered something or substantially furthered the understanding of a concept.

In my opinion, the Peace Prize should be judged by similar criteria. I think that it's incredibly difficult to bring about the type of change worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize, but that's ok with me...it's an extraordinary award that should be given for extraordinary results.
this was the sentiment on Fox News this morning when I heard the news.

I love this though:
Quote:
The Norwegian Nobel Committee decided not to inform Obama before the announcement because it didn’t want to wake him up, committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said.

“Waking up a president in the middle of the night, this isn’t really something you do,” Jagland said.

Last edited by tld221; 10-09-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Furthermore, im suprised no one has pulled a race card yet. Not just GC, but in the media.

I'm just waiting for Roland, Dyson and Donna Brazile to weigh in on CNN.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
ETA: It never ceases to amaze me how folk who don't run anything but their mouths try to second guess those who are in a position to make these awards. Why do you all get to say he doesn't deserve the award, when according to the judgement of the folks that vote for these prizes year-in and year-out, he does. Give me a break.
Oh get over it.

Once again, don't say anything about Obama or think critically about anything pertaining to him because the crybabies will waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Furthermore, im suprised no one has pulled a race card yet. Not just GC, but in the media.
Race isn't a "card," but I mentioned being the first Black President in my 2nd post.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Race isn't a "card," but I mentioned being the first Black President in my 2nd post.
So does that mean that Mandela got one for being the 1st Black President in South Africa?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Little32 and DS...I think you're making WAY too much out of this. EW is the only poster who has been critical of the President's international policy in this thread. All the rest of us are saying is that they think it was a bit early and premature to give him the prize. That's it.

Did we lose the ability to second-guess at the close of the Bush administration?

ETA: It never ceases to amaze me how sensitive people can be to criticism when it's aimed at their favorite politician. I guess that's one similarity between some Bush supporters and some Obama supporters...
Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
So does that mean that Mandela got one for being the 1st Black President in South Africa?
That probably had something to do with it. A Black President of South Afrika is a great example of change and hope for future change.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Little32 and DS...I think you're making WAY too much out of this. EW is the only poster who has been critical of the President's international policy in this thread. All the rest of us are saying is that they think it was a bit early and premature to give him the prize. That's it.

Did we lose the ability to second-guess at the close of the Bush administration?
Nope...not making it anything. I agree (to a point) with 'all the rest of you".

However, I would like to state for those that wondered 'why'. I simply wanted to provide info and an opinion as to 'why'.

I am just merely stating that at this point with some of what i read, I am watching to see how both pro and cons play out...that is it.

I'm not really taking part of the debate because I already have an idea of how it will go, so have at it. I got red kool ade and popcorn sitting by the couch.

Quote:
That probably had something to do with it. A Black President of South Afrika is a great example of change and hope for future change.
I knew you would say that...thanks.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not really taking part of the debate because I already have an idea of how it will go, so have at it. I got red kool ade and popcorn sitting by the couch.
But see, when you make statements like this, you're essentially saying "The anti-award debate will be ridiculous, so I'll just sit back and watch."

Need I remind you that you were one of the most willing participants in the pro/con Bush debates...
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Banned

It's always silly when people state that they aren't taking part in a discussion. Your lack of participation speaks for itself. If you insist on being on the sidelines, just be on the sidelines and don't turn every discussion into a popcorn and kool aide spectacle. You exaggerate the debate and get the pro-Obama people riled up when you do that.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But see, when you make statements like this, you're essentially saying "The anti-award debate will be ridiculous, so I'll just sit back and watch."

Need I remind you that you were one of the most willing participants in the pro/con Bush debates...
Yup...guilty.

So...carry on people!

Quote:
It's always silly when people state that they aren't taking part in a discussion. Your lack of participation speaks for itself. If you insist on being on the sidelines, just be on the sidelines and don't turn every discussion into a popcorn and kool aide spectacle. You exaggerate the debate and get the pro-Obama people riled up when you do that.
Nobody has to do it...sometimes some of you folks do it for yourselves...so...that's it for me.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yup...guilty.

So...carry on people!
Welp, thanks to DS we can have a discussion. To what do we owe this honor?

Back to the topic before Little32 and DS got sidetracked:

Obama doesn't deserve a Nobel Prize.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And regardless of what folks say (and sometimes you folks are just too much for me) Obama has taken huge strides in trying to reframe U. S. leadership on the global scale. He has offered the olive branch (in the form of renewed diplomatic attempts) to people and nations that no recent president has wanted to touch with a twenty-foot pole. It hasn't always worked, but it does demonstrate a desire to change the nature of U. S. foreign to a model that is more equitable and inclusive on a global scale. Many here would point to that desire as a weakness; many abroad, who are weary of the U. S. as global bully, see it as a strength.
But many Presidents have done this before and not been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. FDR's Good Neighbor policy represented a dramatic shift in what generally had been a very bloody involvement in Latin America into an uninvolved non-parental role. This was early before the war. FDR's policy was far more impactful than anything Barack Obama has ever done to date.

Quote:
ETA: It never ceases to amaze me how folk who don't run anything but their mouths try to second guess those who are in a position to make these awards. Why do you all get to say he doesn't deserve the award, when according to the judgement of the folks that vote for these prizes year-in and year-out, he does. Give me a break.
Mahatma Gandhi has never won it. Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini have been nominated at one time or another. One of the worst Presidents in American history Jimmy Carter, has won it. Henry Kissinger won it. I can assume that the Peace Prize is really just a slam against Barack Obama, some sort of insult.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

Nobel Prize's are political.

Speculation:
Winning one binds the Administration to whatever its promises/plans are (whatever they are) and theoretically prevents the Administration from bombing/going to war with particular countries.

Administrations are always bound to political promises with the international community at some level, and this one just came in the form of a Nobel Prize.

So, yeah, Obama wasn't given one because HE deserved it.