GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,477
2 members and 1,475 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 01-03-2002, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking stay in touch

we're all with you...
have a ball
mmcat
Old 01-03-2002, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to roxydiva
welp. hate to say it. but i only got invited back to two houses. AGD and ADPi . while they were both nice, i didnt really like either one. so. i guess this is it. my rho chi said shed tell me about open recruitment later on, but she had to run to the first party. so. thanks for everything guys! i really appreciate all the support!!!! i might see about open recruitment, but who knows!!! i guess i got the wrath of the IU greek system i figure oh well though, better to be done after the 1st round, then go all the way through, be all attached, then get nothing! so thanks again everyone, you guys are incredible people!!!! if i do open recruitment, ill let you guys know!!

roxydiva
Old 01-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Roxydiva, I hope you'll look into open rush--lots of fantastic women have found their Greek home that way and been happy that they could take their time. Let us know!
Old 01-03-2002, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Why couldn't you just go back to AGD and ADPi? I really wish that people would give the system a chance and trust the way it works.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
Don't want to bump heads but I don't really think you have to "trust the system". We all know that 5000 names are put into a computer with 20 or so sororities and the computer does the matching. Trusting the system to make a choice means to me that IU Panhell would take time to examine each girl's personality and audit carefully.....would she fit with this sorority- with that huge greek life- we know that is impossible.

Roxy is trusting her heart which is what picking a sisterhood is all about. My 2 cents.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up no shot?

i'm sorry that you don't want to try to play this out.
definitely open recruiting...you make sure that they know you are interested and you keep a wide open mind.
things aren't over until you say they are..
lol
mmcat
Old 01-03-2002, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I still find it sad that people drop out of rush when there are sororities who have invited them back. My roommate freshman year did that and later regretted it. You might as well give the groups a chance and then in the end, if you still don't feel right there, don't sign the bid card.

All that aside, and not a part of this discussion, I just want to share that not every school uses computer matching. Some places do it by hand which takes longer, but works when the system is smaller. I just didn't know if some of you knew that, since most people only know the computer system.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually I did feel an instant connection to my sorority which I have never doubted. I knew from the first day of rush that I wanted to be a DZ.

However, this does not mean that I cannot still have the opinion that people should give other groups a chance.

I have not meant to sound rude in these posts, although I think that it has been taken that way. I was just trying to share my opinion that it doesn't hurt to give groups a chance. If nothing else, you will have been given the opportunity to meet people during rush who could end up being your friends.

My $19.02,

dzsaigirl
Old 01-03-2002, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Roxy--

I'm so sorry you are deciding to drop out of recruitment now. I understand that from your first impression you may not be really into AGD and ADPi, but I would, like dzsagirl, encourage you to go to their parties and see what it's like. I know that someone on here posted during the Fall about going through recruitment and only getting invited back to one house. They figured they'd just go to their last party there and see what it was like, and if they didn't feel it, they wouldn't sign the bid card. They ended up loving it!!

If you still decide not to do the rest of recruitment, definitely look into open recruitment.

All the best to you I'm sure you'll find your way in the sea of sororities!
Old 01-03-2002, 01:53 PM

The words DZ and rude will never ever go together in my mind! It is just impossible- you gals are a top class act!

I will agree that I hate it when a girl goes into rush with the attitude- if I don't get into xyz- then I am dropping out and not pledging anyone at all - this before she has even step foot into a house! That is just setting yourself up for failure

Sue
Old 01-03-2002, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

heres my defense!

for the past couple weeks ive been fairly wishy washy about rushing anyway. i told myself that if for some reason i didnt get invited back to the 7 or 8 sororities i felt best at, id let it go. AGD and ADPi were 16th and 17th on my list (out of 19). with 19 houses here, i think everyone ive talked to whos rushed, or who is rushing, there are definite ones we have figured out that we dont fit in with. before i went into it, i told myself that id go everywhere i was invited, and wouldnt drop out unless i was completely cut. ive obviously, changed my mind. i have a weird situation going for me that i feel maybe is why i got cut from everywhere else. ive been trying to follow my gut and my heart though this whole time, and my heart is at peace with stopping now, and maybe doing open recruitment. i cant believe im NOT gonna go back to those houses, but i feel that its the right thing. like i said, i feel ok with the idea that i may not be in a sorority now, and thats aok with me. itd be fun, but its super competitive here!

i hope this doesnt sound snappy at all, cause that isnt my intention in the least. i just got back on here after my nap, and saw all the posts, and thought i would share what was going through my head, now that ive had time to let it settle. a girl in my group only got invited back to AXO, which had been my favorite. she didnt like them at all, but her sister is an AXO somewhere else. shes going to go anyway, and i applaud her for that. anyway just wanted to update you guys on where my head was!!! thanks again for being an incredible group of people! you all rock!!!!

roxydiva
Old 01-03-2002, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for you -- I think that you're probably right to trust your gut and not go back to houses that you didn't like -- as long as you are certain that you won't regret it later. I do understand what you're saying -- when I was an undergraduate and I went through rush, there were some houses that I would not even have considered -- that's just how it is sometimes.

This makes me think that the way IU does rush really sucks. They make people wait for months before finding out whether they'll be invited back anywhere -- I can't even imagine what that would feel like, especially when it ends in disappointment. If they want to do rush in January, why not just do it all in January? Here's my question, too -- why in the world do they make the rushees rank the houses after the first round? How stupid is it for people to have to rank houses, when they may not even get invited back to ANY? That just seems cruel and pointless to me.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

a side note as to why IU's rush can suck! a girl in my group is from michigan. she came back, like the rest of us, yesterday. she flew in. she had said something last night at the meeting about her grades being weird, because she transferred here, and her cumulative GPA wasnt right or something, it didnt include her IU semester gpa. my rho chi told me today, that they just found out today that she didnt make grades, so she didnt get any houses back. so, she came all the way from friggin michigan to find out she had no houses. she didnt know the grade thing was weird until she had already gone home for break. i dont know if a communication line broke down, and that couldve been fixed or what. rho chi said she thinks she was renting a car and driving home til sunday? i dont know. anyway yeah that sucks for us to come back, then find out "nope!!! no houses for you!"

and yes valkyrie, i feel that i can do what im doing, without regrets. thats the only way i would do this. i just sincerely believe that with 19 houses, no girl could feel that they would fit in at every single house!!! maybe im wrong, but thats just the way i think it happens with this many houses. but i do believe there are a handful of houses for everyone, but i guess my handful didnt want me thats ok though. open recruitment here i come! have a good day folks!

roxydiva
Old 01-03-2002, 03:46 PM

I totally agree- if you go to 20 houses - I think that you should automatically be invited back to 1/2 of them. Any IU people out there -- what is the next stage- did some girls get invited back to 17 houses? It seems so out of whack.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

sweetie, don't stress... i went through fall rush last semester, and was only offered a bid from the 2 houses i knew i didn't want to be in... the thing is i made it all the way to pref nite (last nite of rush) with my fav., and ewasn't offered a bid... i believe i'll be doing spring rush in a few weeks, but we'll see... i totally understand the disappointment and how you feel about not going back to the 2 houses. If you ever wanna talk, feel free to write to me, and we can chat :-)