GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,176
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,422
1 members and 1,421 guests
John

Old 11-28-2003, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings Brother Mystic1898!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu-Scholar
Although Sinfonia ia apart of our fraternity name...If you thuink about it, it is our nickname.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Pardon the forum crash, but I appreciate this bump because it led me to finally figure out where one of my favorite GCers got his screen name, MysticCat. I didn't know it was rooted in Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, so it sent me off on a google search to find the connection and meaning.

I found a wealth of information at this link (assuming it's all correct, of course): http://www.pilambda.com/mystic.html

But this by far was my favorite discovery, testament that he truly does know all, it's "Ask the Mystic Cat"!! http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/mysticat.htm
Old 03-15-2008, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Pardon the forum crash, but I appreciate this bump because it led me to finally figure out where one of my favorite GCers got his screen name, MysticCat. I didn't know it was rooted in Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, so it sent me off on a google search to find the connection and meaning.

I found a wealth of information at this link (assuming it's all correct, of course): http://www.pilambda.com/mystic.html

But this by far was my favorite discovery, testament that he truly does know all, it's "Ask the Mystic Cat"!! http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/mysticat.htm
LOL on "Ask the Mystic Cat"!! That'll help on the race, don't you think?

But yes, the historical info you found at the Pi Lambda chapter website (which is accurate) is where my name comes from. "A most mysterious mystery is the might Mystic Cat . . . ."
Old 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to one800thekiller Send a message via Yahoo to one800thekiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post

Haha, wow that is really funny that you found that website, because that was actually my chapters official website, up until last year when we stopped paying for the domain.

Pi Lambda chapter, province 39, glad someone got some use out of the website.

Also, not to correct Mystic Cat, but the name Sinfonia actually first came from a musical group in Liepsig Germany which i believe was affiliated with ossian

Last edited by one800thekiller; 09-09-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one800thekiller View Post
Also, not to correct Mystic Cat, but the name Sinfonia actually first came from a musical group in Liepsig Germany which i believe was affiliated with ossian
Careful there Brother.The story is that it was George Chadwick, President of the New England Conservatory, and not Father Mills who had belonged to a club named Sinfonia in Leipzig and who suggested that name for our Fraternity. That story has been handed down for a long, long time, but no historical documentation has ever been found to corroborate it. So, it might be true or it might not.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

We call the Sinfonians at my school Sinfonians or PMAs. It makes sense with 'SAI', I guess. Plus, there's also a Phi Mu chapter here that a ton of SAIs are members of (including myself!) so the "Phi Mu" thing would never fly.

SAI/Phi Mu/KKY
Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

The only other nickname I've ever heard us referred to as would be the *CENSORED*, but that's rarely, if ever, used. Back in my day, we were always referred to as Sinfonia or as Phi Mu, despite having a chapter of the Phi Mu sorority on campus.

Last edited by WaxOff; 11-18-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: As public as it was used, it's not public info ;p
Old 11-18-2008, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Rob. Welcome to GreekChat!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I have actually heard us referred to as "Phi Muers" this is coming from one of my professors and alumn who happens to be my choral director.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizeta88 View Post
I have actually heard us referred to as "Phi Muers" this is coming from one of my professors and alumn who happens to be my choral director.
Well now, that's one I've never heard. Interesting.

Any idea what chapter he's from, or where he picked Phi Muers up?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

If I remember right he is from around Indiana if that helps at all. He does seem like the person who would make that up. But not in regards to Sinfonia, that would be out of character for him.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Nickname

Very Interesting indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizeta88 View Post
If I remember right he is from around Indiana if that helps at all. He does seem like the person who would make that up. But not in regards to Sinfonia, that would be out of character for him.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

ok my mistake. he is from the university of illinois
Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

again my mistake he is an honorary from our chapter. So I have no clue whats going on. as usual