GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,329
0 members and 1,329 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2004, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Somewhere between Good Morning America and Jerry Springer.
Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
In New Orleans, the private and Catholic schools such as Mt. Carmel Academy, Academy of the Sacred Heart, Dominican, etc do not have high school sororities. I am pretty sure in Memphis, TN either Hutchinson or St. Agnes have high school sororities.
You're in New Orleans? OMG!

The public schools here in Jefferson had sororities and fraternities, at least when I was in school there in the '70s. I think some of the Catholic schools (Blenk, Shaw, Immaculata, etc.) had 'em, too. I know that Blenk had Xi Delta Sigma. We (Ehret) had three chapters of Kappa Phi, Kappa, Beta and Zeta, ABG and a few members of Alpha Mu Omega.

Don't know about Mt. Carmel or the others. I want to think...maybe Cabrini had 'em?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ragtimerose
I'm from New Orleans, born and raised and now I live in Oxford, MS where I went to college, Ole Miss
Old 07-20-2004, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PennyCarter Send a message via Yahoo to PennyCarter
Not to say its bad or good, but I cannot imagine high school sororities/fraternities at my high school.

I did hear of some girls at my school who were in high school sororities and they mentioned that rituals were similar to that of their collegiate sorority. I don't know what high school sororities they were in and I don't remember which college chapers they joined, but I couldn't believe that.

Does anyone know if any collegiate organizations have connections to high school sororities? (You don't have to be specific so as to not potentially leak any information.)
Old 07-20-2004, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Sororities and fraternities and other secret societies were expressly forbidden at my high school.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

In my high school we had sorority/fraternity like orgs....they were "Y" clubs (YMCA) that did a lot of work in the community, they also had "rush", not sure if they had rituals (I was not a member) they were not greek or greek-lettered. The names were derived from the french or hawaiian language.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Somewhere between Good Morning America and Jerry Springer.
Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
I'm from New Orleans, born and raised and now I live in Oxford, MS where I went to college, Ole Miss
Ahh, so that's your connection. OK. I thought you still lived here. I'm a UNO girl m'self, though I went to USL (now ULL) for a year.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned

What an amazing...

-Rudey
--Crock
Old 07-20-2004, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The high schools in Lexington have Reveler. Its a type of sorority for high-schoolers I guess.

Last edited by _Lisa_; 01-10-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PennyCarter
I did hear of some girls at my school who were in high school sororities and they mentioned that rituals were similar to that of their collegiate sorority. I don't know what high school sororities they were in and I don't remember which college chapers they joined, but I couldn't believe that.
Some of these high school / secondary school groups go back to the 1860s, so yes, they can indeed have very elaborate rituals just like a traditional collegiate GLO.

wptw
Old 07-20-2004, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know to be an Eastern Star you have to have a relative that's a Mason, right? How close a relative do they have to be and how active do they have to be? I'm curious because I had considered joining someday
Eastern Star Link

Here's some info for ya.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wptw
Some of these high school / secondary school groups go back to the 1860s, so yes, they can indeed have very elaborate rituals just like a traditional collegiate GLO.

wptw
That is very true. There is really very little difference between a highschool sorority and many of our current sororities that were founded by young women. Remember, in the 1800's a lady wasn't 18 or 19 when she started "college" (or finishing school or whatever) they were like 14 or 15.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by ragtimerose

The public schools here in Jefferson had sororities and fraternities, at least when I was in school there in the '70s. I think some of the Catholic schools (Blenk, Shaw, Immaculata, etc.) had 'em, too. I know that Blenk had Xi Delta Sigma. We (Ehret) had three chapters of Kappa Phi, Kappa, Beta and Zeta, ABG and a few members of Alpha Mu Omega.

Don't know about Mt. Carmel or the others. I want to think...maybe Cabrini had 'em?
A lady who used to work for my aunt was in Kappa Phi. (I thought it was strange because there is a national HS fraternity named Kappa Phi.) After graduation, they would join another sorority for alumnae. That sorority had three letters but I can't remember the name. I want to say that she went to Academy of the Holy Angels in the 1960s.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pixell
I know to be an Eastern Star you have to have a relative that's a Mason, right? How close a relative do they have to be and how active do they have to be? I'm curious because I had considered joining someday.
I'm the Associate Patron of Plano Chapter #703, Grand Chapter of Texas, OES. If all goes well and I don't screw up ( ) I will more than likely be elected Worthy Patron next year.

You have to have a male relative (father, grandfather, uncle, grand-uncle, husband) who is a Mason in good standing (read: dues paid and current, not under suspension) in order to be eligible for membership in OES. Males wishing to join OES must be Master Masons in good standing, and must maintain it throughout their membership.

If you are (or were) a Rainbow Girl or Job's Daughter who has been a member for over three years or have reached their 'majority member' status (at least 18 years old), you are also welcomed to petition as well.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-20-2004, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
One of the girls that want to pledge for us next semester is a rainbow girl. Is that bad? can they be part of us or are they part of the Masonic thing? I am confused.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyP
One of the girls that want to pledge for us next semester is a rainbow girl. Is that bad? can they be part of us or are they part of the Masonic thing? I am confused.
Not at all. Generally, a Rainbow Girl will have some Masonic family tie in her family, but any Rainbow Girl can recommend a girl for membership, even if she does not have Masonic relatives.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984