GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,144
3 members and 1,141 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Totally playing devil's advocate here, because I think this is one of those things that could go either way...

@the bolded: Don't you think this could be a detriment to both the girls and the houses? If Cutsy Suzie from out of state comes in and doesn't have an opinion of XYZ, DEF, or NOP during August, she might be able to keep an open mind. If she hears 6 months of "tent talk" though, she might discount NOP and DEF because of what she's heard about them. DEF and NOP are wonderful NPC orgs that have great things to offer, but she's "formed her own opinion" about them and has decided that XYZ is the "best fit" for her. Since it's a mutual selection process, XYZ might cut her and she drops because she's decided she's not a right fit for the others.

Again, just playing the other side...

ETA: I wrote "bolded" just to play on your siggy.
If all she hears - or rather, listens to - is tent talk and gossip, of course she'll form opinions that might cause her to discount certain groups.

If, on the other hand, she gets involved in activities and actually MEETS sorority members, it goes a long way toward diffusing that. She can't really believe "all ABCs are fat" any longer when she's on hall council with an ABC that's a size 0.

How open the PNM wants to keep her mind is largely up to the PNM, no matter when rush is held.

As I said in my other post, I can't think of anything better than everyone having to be on their best behavior in the fall - PNMs AND sororities. There's no faking it for a week, and then the true colors come out and no one's happy.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If all she hears - or rather, listens to - is tent talk and gossip, of course she'll form opinions that might cause her to discount certain groups.

If, on the other hand, she gets involved in activities and actually MEETS sorority members, it goes a long way toward diffusing that. She can't really believe "all ABCs are fat" any longer when she's on hall council with an ABC that's a size 0.

How open the PNM wants to keep her mind is largely up to the PNM, no matter when rush is held.
The thing is, she may realize that all ABCs are not fat, but she'll also realize that everyone calls all ABCs fat even though there are clearly girls who aren't.

I went through a deferred rush and have advised chapters with fall rush and I think fall rush is much better for the PNM-sorority selection process. There is less time to be biased, form pledge classes in the fall, dirty rush people, spread inaccurate stereotypes, sell yourself, etc.

On the other hand, I think from a personal development perspective, outside of joining a sorority, rushing in the spring was so much better for me. I had time to form friends outside of my sorority with no bias to which chapter anyone was in, could get used to being in college and could figure out if I really wanted, had time to and had the grades to join a sorority.

Last edited by dukedg; 08-12-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
The thing is, she may realize that all ABCs are not fat, but she'll also realize that everything calls all ABCs fat even though there are clearly girls who aren't.
Every sorority has stereotypes attached. This way she won't get blindsided once school starts up and everyone is spouting them back to her (and she's bound to the group for a year). Personally, I find it unhealthy to begin any facet of life in a bubble.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Personally, I find it unhealthy to begin any facet of life in a bubble.
I see what you mean. If you are the kind of person who likes to gather a lot of information before making a decision, then deferred recruitment is much better.

I would be interested to compare withdrawal rates between the two systems. I mean, somehow with all other factors being equal. My hypothesis is that more women would withdraw from a deferred recruitment system.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Every sorority has stereotypes attached. This way she won't get blindsided once school starts up and everyone is spouting them back to her (and she's bound to the group for a year). Personally, I find it unhealthy to begin any facet of life in a bubble.
I guess I also see your point, but I would venture to guess that most people aren't quite so "all or nothing" in their perspective on life? For instance, I just saw my pledgeship as one side of my college beginning - not as life in a bubble.

I see value in both sides to this issue, but I believe for purposes of a large university (as Auburn) that fall is the lesser of two evils.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Not all or nothing - having not experienced it, maybe I'm off in my perception, but I just can't imagine going through rush when nothing else is happening on campus. When you go through rush while classes are in session (or even over winter break), you are quite aware that the world will go on around you and that there are many other parts of college, regardless of whether you get a bid or not.

It reminds me of what some of the participants on The Bachelor and shows like that have said - that believe it or not, they do find themselves developing feelings for this guy in a week, because NOTHING else is happening in the house. Getting cut has to be harder when you don't have anything to take your mind off it.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not all or nothing - having not experienced it, maybe I'm off in my perception, but I just can't imagine going through rush when nothing else is happening on campus. When you go through rush while classes are in session (or even over winter break), you are quite aware that the world will go on around you and that there are many other parts of college, regardless of whether you get a bid or not.

It reminds me of what some of the participants on The Bachelor and shows like that have said - that believe it or not, they do find themselves developing feelings for this guy in a week, because NOTHING else is happening in the house. Getting cut has to be harder when you don't have anything to take your mind off it.
Ok, this makes way more sense. I took your previous comment to mean you thought that "when I join a sorority, I live in that bubble and absolutely nothing else matters, so I won't look into any other friends/campus orgs/etc." If nothing else - your sorority helps introduce you to other groups!

I do remember living in the dorm with those who went bidless in that week (or dropped earlier in the week) and it was tough, but 3-5 days later school was starting. It all moves along pretty quickly, just like it would in the winter.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

i went thru rush the week prior to class starting. i loved it and still like that method the best.

i advise at FGCU. the administration won't allow recruitment to begin prior to classes beginning and i see the stress on the members trying to balance class, part-time jobs, other orgs. and recruitment. on top of that, recruitment starts during the week, and because so many classes are taught at night, the parties don't begin until around 9 or 9:30. there is no greek housing, so the sororities have to break down the rooms after each round of parties-add to that membership selection and sometimes the girls(and advisors) don't get home before 3 or 4 in the morning. not a good situation.

it is the same at my daughter's alma mater, and i assisted there her senior year. lots of unhappy members, trying to balance school and rush, and there is greek housing there.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm wondering why the study mentioned suggests that having recruitment ASAP mitigates the negative self esteem that can come from recruitment. Anyone know why?
Old 08-13-2011, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Because, if you don't pledge, you get to start over as a GDI with all of the others when they arrive.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i went thru rush the week prior to class starting. i loved it and still like that method the best.

i advise at FGCU. the administration won't allow recruitment to begin prior to classes beginning and i see the stress on the members trying to balance class, part-time jobs, other orgs. and recruitment. on top of that, recruitment starts during the week, and because so many classes are taught at night, the parties don't begin until around 9 or 9:30. there is no greek housing, so the sororities have to break down the rooms after each round of parties-add to that membership selection and sometimes the girls(and advisors) don't get home before 3 or 4 in the morning. not a good situation.

it is the same at my daughter's alma mater, and i assisted there her senior year. lots of unhappy members, trying to balance school and rush, and there is greek housing there.
Sounds a lot like my alma mater... I'm kind of jealous of schools where recruitment happens before school ever starts for that reason. On the other hand, when you have freshman going through recruitment before they even start attending class, they may lose out on meeting lots of different types of people. There are solid arguments for both sides.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I am one of the biggest deferred recruitment cheerleaders on GC. A few reasons why I like it:

1. Freshmen have a semester of college coursework under their belt by the time recruitment starts. Especially since a lot of flagship state schools are a lot more competitive than they used to be, therefore your high school GPA has to be high to get in to the University, you won't get much separation from high school GPAs. It's splitting hairs. Some high schools are easier than others and some women take more rigourous classes. You really don't know how some students will do in college until they're there. With deferred recruitment, everyone's GPA is judged on an equal footing. Also, you weed out the women who flop first semester.

2. One of the biggest criticisms of deferred recruitment is "OMG PNMs have a WHOLE semester of tent talk and they have their minds made up!" I disagree. You mean to tell me that PNMs don't hear tent talk the second they start fall recruitment before school? That's all the time they need to form opinions, especially if they are doing literally nothing else.

If done properly, fall semester can be a great time to encourage authentic interaction between PNMs and members. Virginia Tech (a very large recruitment, I think 900-1000 last year registered?) actually opens registration for spring formal recruitment early in the fall semester, and registered women are placed on a Panhellenic listserv and notified of what they call "365 events". 365 events are sisterhood, programming, or service in nature than involve members from a few different chapters inviting PNMs to join them. For example, Sigma Kappa and Pi Beta Phi might do pumpkin carving with PNMs.

The catch/best part? PNMs don't know who is participating in the 365 event until they get there, so there isn't any "Oh, I don't want to join that sorority, I won't go to that 365 event". That way, PNMs can observe and join sorority women doing things they normally do as a chapter, they get to interact with them in a more natural, activity-based setting, dirty rushing isn't as much of a problem because the activity is supervised by Panhellenic, and PNMs are more likely to be open to more chapters after getting to know members. I hate when CPHs don't allow interaction between PNMs and chapters---this breeds a bad image of sororities as stuck up! I think the best prevention measure against dirty rushing is Panhellenic educating PNMs that NO ONE can guarantee you a bid!

3. Personally, I was not sold on joining a sorority when I began college. I was resistant. It took me the fall semester, where I actually met sorority women in my classes, that I became convinced that sorority life was for me! I had a male friend filling my head with garbage about certain chapters, but I didn't care about the things he said when I actually met women in those chapters!

4. It can reduce the number of women who go through recruitment, BUT retention is usually better, and presumably quality. PNMs have a semester to gather information on the expectations and obligations of joining a sorority. There are fewer women who join just for the letters.

Is it right for Auburn? It probably could work, but I would need to see a reason to change it. In the SEC, you don't "need" to change PNMs' minds about going Greek; the demand is already high, which is probably why deferred recruitment is more common in the North. If the chapter GPAs are higher than the women's average, then that also is no reason to change. Plus, all groups made quota, so it's not like there's any struggling chapters that are significantly behind.

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-21-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how the sorority thing works at Ole Miss, (where they have semi-delayed rush), but from the fraternity perspective....they're basically pre-rushing them from the day they get there and there's something going on every single night. Personally, I think it would've been a lot better to get that business out of the way before school started instead of dragging it on and on....and then you go into the whole "pledge" period that takes up all kinds of time, and then there's football and The Grove, and a game in New Orleans and we're going to Alabama this weekend and there's semi formal and a mixer twice a week....I guess my point is that the period where you kind of "settle down" comes very late in the semester in this set up.

I also know that when my girls were at GT, sometimes students had to attend in the summer prior to their freshman year to gain full admission and sometimes girls who had a little too much fun on campus in the summer saw their options sharply decrease. While you can file that under "good to know" about a pnm, sometimes stories quickly grow and really may not be all true. I guess sometimes it's good to come with a clean slate, on both sides.