GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,413
0 members and 1,413 guests
No Members online

Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
I didn't know that what I suggested was akin to what a stuffy 50-year-old financial planner would wear... that being said, I heard khakis, and my first thought was the kind of khakis that I have seen that are kind of in the shape of "mom jeans" (no offense to the mothers out there, it's just an expression). I would agree that "business casual" is a stupid name for a round, especially since skirts/dresses aren't recommended.
I wear khaki-colored slacks to the office, tans and light browns, etc., but they're definitely a different fabric and tailored to fit better than most khakis would be. Always paired with some of the more "professional"-looking blouses in my wardrobe.

They can be done very very wrong.

Calf-length tailored pants are huge in my office right now, and they're appropriate, since it's summer. Khaki capris are popular as well, but I've already posted about how some of my coworkers think summer=dress code goes byebye. Khaki capris with a plain t-shirt, in fact. Blegh.

ETA: You can do "business casual" and not look stuffy, but it's such a fine line. It's so easy to get into the Middle-Aged woman thing, but also, if you're trying to be youthful, you can do "way way way" inappropriate easily, as well.

Last edited by agzg; 07-27-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I wear khaki-colored slacks to the office, tans and light browns, etc., but they're definitely a different fabric and tailored to fit better than most khakis would be. Always paired with some of the more "professional"-looking blouses in my wardrobe.

They can be done very very wrong.

Calf-length tailored pants are huge in my office right now, and they're appropriate, since it's summer. Khaki capris are popular as well, but I've already posted about how some of my coworkers think summer=dress code goes byebye. Khaki capris with a plain t-shirt, in fact. Blegh.
Yes, tailoring/fit is crucial to the look of khakis. And I'm with you on that summer dress code... strapless dresses, mini skirts, and yes, stripper heels, have all made their debut in my office. It's amazing how it's the same people that show up in these outfits and their manager never says anything to them about it.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, tailoring/fit is crucial to the look of khakis. And I'm with you on that summer dress code... strapless dresses, mini skirts, and yes, stripper heels, have all made their debut in my office. It's amazing how it's the same people that show up in these outfits and their manager never says anything to them about it.
Are the people in the outfits under 30 and fit?

Are the managers or the people they report to male?

Duh.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I posted that rant the other day. Today I saw someone wearing a geometric print, halter-top maxi dress. With no cardigan to cover up. And flip flops. What!?

In other news, my work-appropriate polka-dotted dress (that has pockets!) with matching cardi is looking real good.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Duh.
It can be incredibly awkward for a manager to call in an otherwise-well-performing employee and say, "hey, you're doing great, but dress like less of a whore, ok?" - especially in an age where we're supposed to be enlightened about gender above and beyond Chris Rock's 'whore uniform' argument.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Duh.
In answer to your questions, NO, in fact, only one of them are within a decent weight range (she is the one in stripper heels). I saw a strapless dress on a woman who could not have been less than 350lbs, and I kid you not.

As for who manages them, I have no idea. I've only seen them in elevators, the lobby, or walking into the building. But they are not visitors, as they have their badges on.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
It can be incredibly awkward for a manager to call in an otherwise-well-performing employee and say, "hey, you're doing great, but dress like less of a whore, ok?" - especially in an age where we're supposed to be enlightened about gender above and beyond Chris Rock's 'whore uniform' argument.
My contention is that these girls don't get called in, whereas let one 55 year old wear a t-shirt and all of a sudden OMG DRESS CODE MEETING NOW.

The best thing is to be very specific about what's ok and what's not, have it in writing, and bust EVERYONE when they deviate from it.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
In answer to your questions, NO, in fact, only one of them are within a decent weight range (she is the one in stripper heels). I saw a strapless dress on a woman who could not have been less than 350lbs, and I kid you not.

As for who manages them, I have no idea. I've only seen them in elevators, the lobby, or walking into the building. But they are not visitors, as they have their badges on.
Oh, so these aren't people you actually work with? That's a different matter. Just because you have an office in an office building doesn't mean you have a business where you give a shit about people wear - they might not see customers ever.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, so these aren't people you actually work with? That's a different matter. Just because you have an office in an office building doesn't mean you have a business where you give a shit about people wear - they might not see customers ever.
None of us see customers. It is a government agency (a building where we all work for the same agency) that does not deal with the general public. I just find it amusing that some people find these things appropriate work attire. I'm not the fucking fashion police, I was just relating a story. It's hard not to miss people showing up to work in dresses covered in metallic sequins and heels they can barely walk in.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:54 PM

No biggie, I didn't realize this was all the same company/agency. I was thinking of something like my ex-office building which held 10,000 people, hundreds of different companies, and to say you saw everything from soup to nuts is a waaaaay understatement.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Jersey material harem pants = not appropriate office wear.

Word to the wise, OP, don't wear jersey material harem pants to recruitment.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
My contention is that these girls don't get called in, whereas let one 55 year old wear a t-shirt and all of a sudden OMG DRESS CODE MEETING NOW.
I might even agree with this, but you can understand the different pressures behind saying "Sorry, Patty, no t-shirts" and "Sorry, Patty, no low-cut V-necks without a bra" I'm sure.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Jersey material harem pants = not appropriate office wear.

Word to the wise, OP, don't wear jersey material harem pants to recruitment.
Do we work together? A Girl (and I say "girl" because she is 30 but dresses like she is 16) in my office wears jersey material harem pants ever week - usually with a tank top (with or without glitter) and either flip flops or silver high heel hooker shoes.

And yes, her manager has talked to her. This is a step above what she used to wear.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
Do we work together? A Girl (and I say "girl" because she is 30 but dresses like she is 16) in my office wears jersey material harem pants ever week - usually with a tank top (with or without glitter) and either flip flops or silver high heel hooker shoes.

And yes, her manager has talked to her. This is a step above what she used to wear.
Damn, I'm almost wondering if we do, but the problem is since her manager talked to the girl I know, she hasn't really gotten that much better, she just stopped wearing that one particular outfit.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm making all sorts of "ugh" faces at some of the work wear faux-pas you're mentioning. Jersey harem pants need to die, right now.