GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,194
2 members and 1,192 guests
No Members online

Old 11-18-2021, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
You mean my posts that are news articles about things that are actually happening in Greek life? Why do we have a hazing and risk management board if we don't want things related to those topics posted?

I post articles that are suggested to me by Google based on things I typically read. Greek life topics come up frequently. I post on both the good and the bad.

And navane started this thread in particular. I just find it curious that when these things have come up recently, many are quick to gloss over them and dismiss them. And not just on the topic of this thread.

But hey, I'll only post the good stuff going forward if that's what this site demands. Although recently, there really isn't that much going on here besides adding to the Highest Point Count Ever Thread and playing the Song Name Game. ::shrugs::
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Thank you for posting the article, navane. It is a reminder we ought to warn our daughters to beware this type of event, and call on our sons to never engage in it.
TBH before I proofread my post above I had erroneously expressed my thanks to you, ASTalumna06, on the mere assumption the OP had been yours and after having previously read your multiple posts regarding sad greek life subjects.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
What are nonmembers of ABC fraternity supposed to do when a member(s) of their Kappa Beta chapter hazes some of their pledges? I trust the alumni leadership of ABC to handle it, just as I trust the leadership of my own org and your org to do the same if members step out of line, so I question why you repeatedly post such things.

Don’t blame Google. Google suggests these articles because you search that subject. Google doesn’t make you post them here numerous times a day-that’s your choice.

As far as GC members dismissing or not engaging with subjects you deem worthy of discussion, perhaps folks aren’t interested. Perhaps they are officers or advisors to their own org and they concentrate on keeping their own houses in order. Perhaps it is because GCers, like many in America, feel tired and overwhelmed with the ever evolving COVID info and protocols, rising prices, bickering in Congress, just life in general, and don’t want to come here and see multiple negative posts about the stupid/mean acts a small percentage of Greeks commit, when they can’t do anything about it.
I didn't "blame" Google. It suggests articles including the words "fraternity" and "sorority" and "Greek" etc. That's what I post. I don't go out seeking risk management and hazing issues on the regular. Again, I'll refrain from sharing if it's going to make everyone upset and no one cares to engage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Any “article” that starts out as this one did can in no way be called journalism, news or even a human interest story. There’s not even an author’s name attached to it, which I’m not surprised by because I don’t know anyone who would willingly attach their name to this PR piece/garbage.

Sharing things that are legitimate and well written is one thing, sharing garbage is another. Just throwing anything regarding Greek life up here without critically assessing it helps no one.
I didn't share this piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
TBH before I proofread my post above I had erroneously expressed my thanks to you, ASTalumna06, on the mere assumption the OP had been yours and after having previously read your multiple posts regarding sad greek life subjects.
OK? Then sure, you should have expressed your thanks to navane for this.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-18-2021, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm with ASTalumna06 on this "issue". I agree with the assessment that there's been a plethora of "whataboutism" responses with a dearth of solutions offered. Attacking the messenger isn't helpful. Neither is saying "other students do it." It's OUR ox being gored, people. Deal with it.

If you wish to see other news in the GreekChat forum, then by all means go ahead and share. I'd like to see coverage of the newest ZTA chapter establishment. That's exciting!

Frankly, IMO, there's also some rearranging of deck chairs on the Titanic looming on the horizon. I've done extensive reading and researching prior to posting my reply here. I started by reviewing the "desk blotter" blurbs on the UAZ Daily Wildcat posted online. I also skimmed a few other campus newspapers across the USA because I have way too much time and I like to research. It's being reported elsewhere; it's definitely endemic, the Greek Life behavior; and it gets coverage from the media since it is so obvious and in-your-face.

So what proposal(s) do alumni have to redirect the negative press? As well as to address the behaviors? IF we truly believe that we are held to a higher standard, then let's do the hard work. I have first-hand experience in this arena, having advised a chapter that engaged in risky behavior for years. It was exhausting exposing the situations and restructuring. It took a serious toll on my mental and physical health. I no longer want to be involved on any level. I do not regret what I did in order to keep the chapter from closing, ugly as it was. However, I have no respect for some of my "sisters" including those from HQ who sat on the sidelines for years and let the chapter get into such dire straits and then attacked me. *mic drop*
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-21-2021, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Good grief, y'all.

I posted this article, if it can even be called that, because I felt it was very poorly done. The very first line is "I've always disliked fraternities, for obvious reasons." Oh right....the reasons that are so obvious that the author didn't bother to state them.

Let me be clear - I do NOT condone the alleged behavior of "hogging". That's horrible. Period.

The article seems to describe instances where women willingly went upstairs to engage in consensual sex and later felt humiliated when they found out their partner wasn't actually interested in them. Awful? Yes. Does that rise to the level of "sexual violence" as indicated by the article? No. Is this behavior limited to fraternities? No. Have men of all walks been employing wingman behavior for eons? Yes.

This is another example of Greeks being easy targets for hit pieces just because.

True and Constant