GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,689
2 members and 1,687 guests
amIblue?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Everyone takes this Facebook friends thing waaaay too seriously.

I go through my friends list every once in a while and delete anyone a) who I don't talk to in real life, b) who hasn't done so much as even comment on my wall/status updates, and c) whose wall/status updates I don't feel the need to comment on.

Yes, some of those people have been sisters. Yes, some of those people have been family members. Yes, some of those people were my best friends back in high school.

Does that mean that if I ran into one of those people at a formal, or a holiday party, or a reunion that I wouldn't be friendly and/or really excited to see and talk to them? No.

Don't let Facebook run your social life. And try not to take such offense when someone defriends you, especially if you haven't taken the time to communicate with each other outside of a social media site.
Maybe you feel that way, but a lot of people are really hurt when it happens...and people do notice when they are defriended.

Everyone looks at FB differently. If I can do something that keeps someone from being hurt or upset, I'll do it, because FB as an entity HAS caused some hurts and upsets. If you were too quick to accept a request and as a result became uncomfortable that Sasha from jr high now knows about your lousy relationship with your mother, I would wager that Sasha is not the one with the problem.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM

I too went through phases where I added acquaintances/friends/family such as when I first joined Facebook back when it was only available to those that attended a college/university. After I graduated, I culled down my list to those I kept in touch with often. Recently, I deleted over 100+ friends on Facebook because 1. I do not talk to or see them anymore, 2. I will not talk to or see them anymore, 3. If I message them, they do not respond. I wouldn't get offended because it's just Facebook.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
I too went through phases where I added acquaintances/friends/family such as when I first joined Facebook back when it was only available to those that attended a college/university. After I graduated, I culled down my list to those I kept in touch with often. Recently, I deleted over 100+ friends on Facebook because 1. I do not talk to or see them anymore, 2. I will not talk to or see them anymore
I have recently also done the same. I used to just block them so I wouldn't see their posts but I thought why should I still be there "friend" if I don't want to see their updates. I have not seen/talked to them in over 5 years (some even 10!).
Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Maybe you feel that way, but a lot of people are really hurt when it happens...and people do notice when they are defriended.

Everyone looks at FB differently. If I can do something that keeps someone from being hurt or upset, I'll do it, because FB as an entity HAS caused some hurts and upsets. If you were too quick to accept a request and as a result became uncomfortable that Sasha from jr high now knows about your lousy relationship with your mother, I would wager that Sasha is not the one with the problem.
This is exactly my point - everyone looks at Facebook differently. Therefore, don't immediately get offended and think, "Oh em geeee! This person hates me!" when they could be taking my approach to the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong - I'd be a little confused if my best friend dropped me on Facebook. However, a sister who I haven't seen or really talked to in 5 years.. I don't think I'd be freaking out about it.

I think the OP needs to analyze her relationship with the person who has dropped her from FB, and if it's really bothering her, she should talk to that person about it.

And trust me.. I don't post enough information about myself on Facebook to care what anyone is able to see. It's just a matter of, "Well, this person requested me, they haven't attempted to talk to me, they never update their status or comment on any of mine, and I haven't seen or talked to them since elementary school.. so what's the point?"

ETA: it appears as though the posters above me have done the same thing, and so have many of my friends. Doing a little spring cleaning of Facebook friends is nothing new.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 01-17-2012 at 01:57 PM.