GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,440
4 members and 1,436 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 12-29-2000, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

While I don't totally disagree with some of the things above, as a TV professional who worked in TV newsrooms (not as a journalist)for many years, I must point out the following:

You can only go so far in blaming the media.

Naturally, when there is a death or accident or some other outrageous behavior, it will be covered.

But, the media is looking for good news, too.

Think about this. When you do your philanthropy, does anyone bother telling the school newspaper or local radio or TV station about it? Or do you expect it to be noticed by magic?

You know, news organizations all call the police and fire agencies all the time. That's how they find out what's going on. That's only a few phone calls.

It is simply not possible to call everyone to find "good" news. That would take a staff of hundreds -- or thousands. Ain't gonna happen. Impossible.

I recommend that every chapter have a media contact and that they be proactive in finding a contact within EACH local media outlet. Then He/She should be in touch with that contact every few weeks. This will help in two ways: First, when the chapter does something good, you have someone to tell who knows you and is more likely to listen. Second, if something bad happens, you at least have some good will established with the media outlet.

It is also important to understand what to do if a tragedy (death, fire, whatever) happens. Only the chapter advisor or a national official should talk with the media. If neither can be found, then only the president should speak. A member should ALWAYS refer questions upward. The chapter media contact should be consulted as to who to talk to, but not necessarily be the spokesperson.

Under deadling pressure, it can sometimes be impossible to find the right person to ask questions of. The university administration or police agencies have spokespersons who are easy to reach. You should, too. Otherwise, it's a game of chance that the reporter will ever find the right person, no matter how hard he/she tries. If someone from you chapter has been in contact with the outlet, it is much more likely that your side of the story will be told.

It's way to easy to hide behind bad media relations, if you don't do something to try to establish good ones.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum

To correct a typo ---

[This message has been edited by DeltAlum (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 06-21-2001, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Also a lot of the private colleges like Dartmouth to is trying to do away with Greeks which is bad for Psi U cause thats where alot of our chapters r from.
Old 08-05-2001, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by ngoucher:
in my area, Bowdoin college is setting a 2000 deadline for the abolition of all the campus frat houses. This is mostly due to a student death a few years back, involving hazing and alcohol (the student fell from a frat house roof).

A wee bit off the subject, but has anyone read the book "The Pledge" by Rob Kean? The author notes say that he attended Bowdoin College...and the event that this "fiction" book is based upon sounds an awful lot like the situation described by ngoucher. Just thought someone might be interested!

BTW...the book is FANTASTIC!

And I'm sorry if this book is something that has been discussed to death in another thread. =)
Old 08-06-2001, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I have repeatedly said if some Morons do inane things then get them off campus and then come back and reopen the Organizations!
With out the Greeks, what is Homecoming, who serves on committees, who has the best overall grade average, who does more for Charitys?
Well if you answer these questions Independents, then you are out of your mind!
All houses when I was in College, eons ago, not only built Floats but did House Decorations! This cost a lot of money to put on a show for the Alumi who came back!Not only for the Greeks but for all of the People who are there because there high school band or horse riding group is there! Not just from my House but from all Houses to see what was being done!
Ask Your Alumni Assoc. Who DONATES THE MOST MONEY BACK TO CAMPUS!!!!
I for one will Never donate to the School, I donate to My Fraternity and if they were not there, I would never go back! I paid my dues and fees to good ole PSU!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 08-08-2001, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Well said!

Shortly after I pledged my house, the Phi Kappa Tau chapter at my University took two pledges to the hospital on pledge mom night. The article is here:
http://www.dailyillini.com/oct_99/oct15/index.html

The student paper ran this editorial the next day:
http://www.dailyillini.com/oct_99/oct16/index.html

The opinions section is not on-line, but I wrote a letter to the paper that was published the following day. Keep in mind, I was still a pledge at this time, but I was ready to defend the system. My letter went something like this, but it was much more articulate at the time.

Sure, these kids were at a fraternity event, but they entered a bar underage, used fake ID's to enter, and drank underage. As far as I know, they broke three laws set down by the state of Illinois and the city of Champaign.

Pledge mom night is a time when women from many sororities on campus would be present. I am sure the responsible members of Phi Kappa Tau would not engage in any behavior that could damage their reputations. It is tradition on many pledge mom nights for the mom to get the kid as drunk as possible. None of the women involved, however, were punished for providing alcohol to minors.

This was great news for me when Phi Kappa Tau got suspended and the individuals faced no charges. Until this time, I had been unaware that pledging a house relieved me of all personal responsibility for my actions. Shortly after reading the article and the editorial, I made plans to run out and rob a liquor store. I even asked a few of my new sisters to join me.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby:
This was great news for me when Phi Kappa Tau got suspended and the individuals faced no charges. Until this time, I had been unaware that pledging a house relieved me of all personal responsibility for my actions.
Ah yes, another wonderful facet of today's Fraternity Life. I won't lie to you - this isn't actually how it works . . . it's worse. Pledging a house does NOT, in fact, remove personal responsibility - but it DOES, in fact, add organizational responsibility.

In short - now that I'm in the Kappa Sigma Fraternity, International, not only am I responsible for my own actions, I'm also (partly, although somewhat directly) responsible for the actions of my fellow brothers and pledges - this responsibility extends to the entire organization, on a national level.

If a pledge dies at an official chapter function, regardless of whether alcohol was involved or not, there will be a serious inquiry into wrongdoing on the part of the chapter. If there is alcohol involved, then God help us as well as his family, because the chapter is gone, and there's an off chance the national organization is gone - forever. This is the level of seriousness that risk management has taken on in today's world - lawsuits that can overrun insurance coverage, and payments that active brothers can't afford . . . and it can happen in a heartbeat.

This is why the risk management position is often considered a Vice-President in most houses. For fraternities, precendent is extremely clear: you will be held responsible for the actions of your own, actives or pledges or even alumni, at official or even unofficial events. It sucks - but it is definitely something that is in the back of the minds of every chapter president.