Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,350
0 members and 1,350 guests
No Members online

Old 08-01-2004, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Pi Beta Phi allows new graduated to be part of the Alumnae Advisory Committee but limits how many of the committee can be recent grads. For example, if there are 5-6 members of AAC. one may be a recent grad (less than 4 years since graduation). Exceptions are made in individual cases but it is preferred that new graduates NOT advise their own chapter for 4 years. Depending on which officer you are advising, it is possible for a graduate student serve as an adviser. I wouldn't recommend that the adviser to Treasurer or President be in graduate school simply because ofthe time those two offices can take.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

it sounds like you may be the only advisor this chapter has. if that is the case, then you will need several hours per week. by the time you attend exec meetings and check in with different officiers, etc., etc., the hours will add up.

being so close has its good points and bad points....so you may want to think about that too.

if there are going to be several people on the committee with you then definately go for it. if not, then you should really think about it.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I became an advisor at my chapter 1 or 1 1/2 years after graduation. This isn't really allowed, but my chapter was awful about alumnae relations (and still isn't that great, but we're working on it), so we didn't have a lot of alumnae support. For quite awhile, we only had 2 advisors (Chapter and Recruitment/Member Development) and maybe 2 or 3 alums that would show up occasionally to help. We now have 5 advisors—the original 2, plus me, another sister from my year, and one from the year below me. Since we now have 3 young advisors, we're not letting any other recent grads from our own chapter become advisors. The only exception to that would be if someone wanted to become finance advisor, since we're still without one and it is desperately needed. It was difficult at first to advise my own chapter since I still went to school with a majority of the sisters, but now that I've been out for 3 years, I don't know any of the girls personally, which makes things easier.

I'm Scholarship/Alumnae Relations advisor, and I only have to go to monthly EC meetings and alumnae events, which I would go to anyway, so it doesn't take up too much time. I also go to recruitment when I can and certain rituals, like Initiation. I used to go to more stuff, but I started grad school on top of working full-time, so that's all I have time for. That's probably the bare minimum that you can get away with, but if you're the only advisor, you'll probably have to go to more stuff, plus put up with the barrage of phone calls that happens if something goes wrong, which can take up a lot of time.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still debating this!

I just know that this chapter doesn't have ANY advisor, and it's a chapter that's similar enough to my own that there wouldn't be a major culture shock (as I've seen when you have women from Alabama and Georgia chapters trying to advise Massachusetts chapters!). There's no way in HAYLE I'd do anything with Finance--as a former VP-Finance (without an advisor!), it was the worst job EVER.

It's just that, having gone through 4 years without an on-site advisor (even during a reorganization), to help another chapter with the same issues and concerns would be the least I could do.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to aoiikristi
You know--I pledged at a school up north in a small chapter, and advised a large chapter in the south and didn't find it to be such a culture shock.
Sure, it was different--but I didn't have any trouble getting along with the girls, and I learned a lot and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
I know with my chapter, we like girls to wait until at least most of the girls you were active with are graduated or alumnae. So that will usually mean about 2 years, because they don't expect seniors to be very close to freshmen.

The thing that stinks is I really want to help out, and I just graduated. I understand why the "rule" is there: people are likely to favor certain sisters that they were close to or maybe someone is holding a stupid grudge. There are no nearby chapters besides my own that I can help. Arrg. I'm going to help them with Recruitment though, so maybe that will make me feel better.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 08-03-2004, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
I think it's probably good to wait until you've been out a few years-- get yourself settled with a job and all of the necessities with surviving on your own, and then step back to help out. If, in the meantime you want to stay active-- get active on the *alumni* end. Help with a local alumni association, or if there isn't one-- start one (either officially or unofficially). It's a great way to help out your chapter by giving your members somewhere to go *after* graduation, rather than the feeling of being "cut loose."

I recommend this because if you're acting as an advisor to folks that were active during your years as an active, that distinct line can get a bit tricky (and you might get some resentment/worry within your chapter that as a very recent alum, you're trying to dictate how the chapter runs).

Plus, I think a few years out of college also helps detach you from any of the obligatory drama that might happen within the chapter... and as an advisor, you'll need to stay somewhat impartial to help them out.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

In AOII, there are other things you can do to become an involved alum other than be an adviser--you can serve on a corporation board, you can be a member of an alumnae chapter, and chapter always need help with recruitment. You might want to look into some of those things!
Also--you may want to try applying to your international organization for a volunteer position as well.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter asks that all our advisors be at least 3years out of college. One to elimiate that possible drama factor. Second, because we feel that sisters should be a little more settled. We want an advisor who will be around for years and years, when people are young, it can be hard to give that commitment. Settling into school or life can be hard, and while your sisters should be there for you, you also need to start it without a commitment so you can see what your time really is.

Maybe tell them you might be interested in a year, spend a year, volunteering with them, helping count ballots, etc, and then once you are settled, look at it again and reevaluate where you stand and if you are ready. I know I couldn't (May 2004 grad) advise now, I need to get some roots, then reach out more.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

The reason all Greek Organizations do not want newly Graduated members becoming Advisors especially from your on Chapter is that you are to close to that Chapter and cannot be impartial. Being an Advisor is a very big resposibility and may have to make some very tough decisions. It is hard when you are still so close with the members.

While being at a new Chapter, it may be different. But, My question is why cant they get a A fauculty person.

If not, then when if you come in, try to explain that while you are a new graduate, you do have experience of being a member!

I found in meetings at LXA G Assemmbly that what most week Chapters need, is a Strong Advisor and a Working Alum Assoc.

Well that is my advice, but I could have grand kids most of your ages!

WOW IS ME!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-03-2004, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
But, My question is why cant they get a A fauculty person.
I have never seen a faculty member serve as an advisor, either at my undergrad or graduate school, both of which are politically pretty far left and apathetic (if not antipathetic) to Greek Life--perhaps the faculty more so than the students. Since the chapter has been without an advisor for some time, I sincerely doubt that there is a willing faculty member to step up to the plate.

I am currently active in my alumnae association--which is how I learned about the fact that the position is open and has been open for some time. I know my lifestyle, and working with a collegiate chapter fits in more with that than being active in an alumnae association.

RE: The sisters currently in the chapter--I do not know any of them. I don't know how many people read the original post, but THIS IS NOT MY CHAPTER OF INITIATION! I helped out at Rush, but that was behind the scenes. I rarely got involved with any of the drama in my own chapter!

Like I said, I'm not even seriously considering it. An opportunity came up to do this, and I was asked to "think about it." And, so, kiddles--I am "thinking about it."
Old 08-03-2004, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I have never seen a faculty member serve as an advisor, either at my undergrad or graduate school, both of which are politically pretty far left and apathetic (if not antipathetic) to Greek Life--perhaps the faculty more so than the students. Since the chapter has been without an advisor for some time, I sincerely doubt that there is a willing faculty member to step up to the plate.
It may depend on your organization. My undergrad chapter's advisor IS a faculty member-- and I believe it's now a preference from our national headquarters that a faculty member, rather than an alumni, is the advisor for university-related "damage control." (not that my chapter needs it, but I wouldn't doubt the university appreciates it)

~ Mel.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

some schools

require each organization to have a faculty advisor. while i was a student at fl. state, we did not haved faculty advisors. i am now the general advisor for the zta chapter at florida gulf coast u. and they do have faculty advisors-we are lucky that ours just happens to be a zeta!now whether the faculty advisor for the other groups actually shows up for meetings or is even invited to them is up for grabs.

tom, your advice was very good.

munchkin, even though the chapter you are advising is not your chapter of initiation, being so close in age to the chapter members may interfere with them taking you seriously. you would have to distance yourself from them, i.e., not go out partying with them. it might be more fun at the present to have sisters to hang out with, when you need a break from your graduate studies.
working with a chapter is very rewarding, but it can also be tough. like tom said, sometimes we are required to make unpopular decisions and make those collegians tow the line. they seem to accept it a lot better if it doesn't come from a contemporary.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I have never seen a faculty member serve as an advisor, either at my undergrad or graduate school, both of which are politically pretty far left and apathetic (if not antipathetic) to Greek Life--perhaps the faculty more so than the students.
Our school dictates that our main advisor HAS to be a faculty or administration member. Whether they are a sister/brother or not is irrelevant in the eyes of the school. The problem is a lot of them are, or were, mainly a name on a piece of paper - and of course if they're not members they can't participate in rush, ritual etc. A couple groups are lucky enough to have alums on staff, but for the most part they don't.

We of course can have advisors for recruitment, membership etc that are sisters but the school doesn't recognize them.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I am serving as the faculty adviser for the new AST colony at AASU.

When I was in undergrad, our chapter adviser was a faculty member--all NPC groups were required to have at least one of their advisers on faculty.

At the AOII chapter I advised for awhile, they had to have a faculty adviser in addition to the other advisers.

Last edited by aoiikristi; 08-04-2004 at 03:11 PM.