GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,107
0 members and 1,107 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't been to Savannah too many times since I've turned 21 but as I recall...Bar Bar is fun for playing pool and hanging out, I think they may have them in other cities too...Barry's Pub on River St. is a fun place, especially on St. Pats...Mercury Lounge I think is a good place to go for young people, and I think they have live music (maybe somebody can confirm this), There is some other upscale place on River St. that I really liked, but I don't remember. It is a pretty good restaurant by day, and becomes a nice place for drinks at night. Also, If you like Irish pubs, Finnegan's Wake is a really cool place. It and Irish Times are supposed to be more authentic than Kevin Barry's. However, I've never been to Irish Times so I don't know much about it.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I love, love, love Savannah. It's been a few years since I've been since my hubby decided to transplant us across the Atlantic, but I have many fond memories. Nightlife is decent, but the cultural activities are awesome, so don't limit yourself to the bar scene. Here's a link to a guide that let's you know some of the ongoing activities in the region.
http://www.ourcoast.com/ongoing/

Old 08-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Banned

<shrug>
Maybe it's just me.. afterall, I'm a yankee from the NY area... but I am me, and that's that. You like me or you don't. I don't change for anybody. And, folks.. the Civil War was over a long time ago!

When I first moved to Panama City, Florida (years ago), I was known as "that damn yankee from New York." I didn't care. I didn't change. I was me. I liked who I was and where I was from. I didn't hide it, I was proud of it.

Eventually, people realized that the "yankee" sterotype was bunk. Sure, I "tawked" funny... and I didn't dress like them-- I know, I know.. we northerners wear a lot of black...

It took a while for them to warm up to me, but they did.. and I made wonderful friends. I found "southerners" to be very warm. They'll do anything for you.. and they'll stick by you through thick and thin.

I'm back up north again, and if it weren't for my job, I'd be back down south again. I loved it.

Just be yourself. Don't change for anyone. If people don't like you simply because of where you're from, do you really want to be friends with them anyway?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of southerners, I have a question for you all who are (or transplants). A few years back I took a group of students from the high school where I taught on a European tour. Part of the group that we traveled with was from some area called Dodge County in GA(the town where they are from sounded extra po-dunk). When we arrived in London one of the older gentlemen(because for some reason they were all old educators and not actually students) said(and I quote), "So y'all are yankees from California?"

How can one be a yankee from California? There is nothing remotely yankee about California. Is a person who is not from the south a yankee in general? Granted I was born in NY, but I've lived my entire life after age 1 1/2 out here(it's not like they knew that though), so I guess technically speaking I am a yankee, but still...confused over here.

And you all are right, they were sweet as punch to our faces, but some of the teachers were talking sh-- on two of my students because they were different(meaning sort of punky-clothing wise). It's sad that those people were educators, and I told them as much.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

That totally reminds me of one of the plumber's helpers here ranting and raving about the Yankee from Nebraska that won the SC lottery. Where to even start on that one....
Old 08-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93
Speaking of southerners, I have a question for you all who are (or transplants).
How can one be a yankee from California? There is nothing remotely yankee about California. Is a person who is not from the south a yankee in general? Granted I was born in NY, but I've lived my entire life after age 1 1/2 out here(it's not like they knew that though), so I guess technically speaking I am a yankee, but still...confused over here.
The Brits consider ALL people from "the states"-- "yanks." Here's a good explanation.

http://www.americanrevolution.com/YankeeDoodleDandy.htm
Old 08-03-2006, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi
I really want to move to Savannah next fall after I graduate. I've only been there once, three years ago, but I absolutely fell in love with it. I have one concern though and this is where I'm hoping the southern GCers can help me out. I've been told by a couple different people that in the south, you generally aren't "accepted" unless you come from A LOT of money or unless you've grown up there your whole life. My family is by no means poor, but I wouldn't describe us as very wealthy. I've never lived anywhere by Maryland, excluding my college years at West Virginia University and I have no ties to anywhere in the south. I've also been told Savannah is a pretty wealthy area and that these "rules" would definitely apply there. But I'm wondering since I'll only be 21, I'm not moving down there with a family or anything, more of as a "young professional", will I really find this to be very true? If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it!
Who do you want to be accepted by, exactly? I mean, as long as you aren't obnoxious, you should be able to make friends just fine with other people in your general social class (other single young professionals). My fiance's working in Savannah now (and we may move there permanently), and that kind of acceptance has never been a problem. There are lots of people working in the Savannah area from all over the place. Generally very nice, very fun young crowd. I enjoy hanging out with them all when I go down there - there are some very fun pubs and things downtown that are really great, too.

If you're trying, as an outsider coming in with no connections at the age of 21, to climb the ladder into Savannah high society, you're kinda screwed, honey, unless you do, as you put it, "catch" one of those Georgia boys you mentioned and they are already up that ladder and can pull you up (although you will still face some stiff opposition). I think that's probably the case with any city that has that kind of established high society, whether its in the South or not. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just stating facts. Personally, I have no interest in that kind of thing and so it hasn't bothered me any.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel
Just be yourself. Don't change for anyone. If people don't like you simply because of where you're from, do you really want to be friends with them anyway?
WVU alpha phi's posts give no indication that she wants to change for anyone in Savannah; she was just asking for some insight into the area.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

About yankees: Yes, we're all yankees to the British, and it deeply offends me...

Personally, I refer to yankees as anyone from Maryland to New England, and over parts of the midwest up to minnesota. I usually don't call people from the west coast yankees. I'll generally call them "hippies" or "bleeding hearts" or something along those lines. Now, if I get like Mel Gibson drunk, I could see myself referring to californians as yankees.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
WVU alpha phi's posts give no indication that she wants to change for anyone in Savannah; she was just asking for some insight into the area.
And I gave her my insight. Don't change to try to be accepted.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
About yankees: Yes, we're all yankees to the British, and it deeply offends me...

Personally, I refer to yankees as anyone from Maryland to New England, and over parts of the midwest up to minnesota. I usually don't call people from the west coast yankees. I'll generally call them "hippies" or "bleeding hearts" or something along those lines. Now, if I get like Mel Gibson drunk, I could see myself referring to californians as yankees.
Why would you be offended? The term is not a derogatory one. You use it-- unless you're saying you use it in a derogatory manner for those who live in the northeast?

And, I'm curious.. why do people in the south call those in the north Yankees? We don't have a similar name for those of you in the south. Also wondering if it only refers to white people in the north. Or would you call someone of Indian or African American discent who lives in NYC a Yankee?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm not really offended, but I would never choose to be referred to as a yankee.

Yankee is used in two ways. If you have friends who are from the north, you'll call them yankees just jokingly. Second, you refer to the stereotypical northeastern or midatlantic state person as a yankee. Generally, these are people who speak with an accent, or act rude, etc.
Regarding minorities, I don't usually call them yankees.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And, I'm curious.. why do people in the south call those in the north Yankees? We don't have a similar name for those of you in the south.

There is a name for northern people to call people in the south: Dixies.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why would you be offended? The term is not a derogatory one. You use it-- unless you're saying you use it in a derogatory manner for those who live in the northeast?

And, I'm curious.. why do people in the south call those in the north Yankees? We don't have a similar name for those of you in the south. Also wondering if it only refers to white people in the north. Or would you call someone of Indian or African American discent who lives in NYC a Yankee?
Um, well, yeah, it's used in a derogatory manner ... unless you're just kidding around with someone of Yankee descent. Like when I'm making fun of my fiance for stuff, like whenever he can't take the heat or he just plain doesn't *get* it, I'll call him a Yankee. I guess it's kind of like a very mild ethnic slur. And yes, it basically refers to white people, although there are exceptions.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
There is a name for northern people to call people in the south: Dixies.
Or, if we're really saying what we feel about people who believe that "Yankee" is and should be a derrogatory term, hicks.