GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,146
0 members and 1,146 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2010, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This has been discussed before many times:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...earing+letters

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=90278

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=14452

Tell her to ask her NM Educator if it's part of her sorority policy for NMs to wear letters.
It gets discussed so many times that it almost seems sticky-worthy.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
It gets discussed so many times that it almost seems sticky-worthy.
I think it falls under "no one will read the stickies anyway" unfortunately.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

i know personally i was told i could wear my letters from day one as soon as i accepted my bid. im an AOII at ohio state, and whether this is a chapter rule or it comes from the national level im not sure. the reasoning behind it is that they want us to feel included and a part of our chapter. i truly didnt start wearing blocks though til my big got me my first shirt, but i did have a pan hel shirt that spelled out "alpha omicron pi" across the back. i would wait til your daughter was initiated to send her block shirts or anything like that, because the letters AOII will mean nothing to her til she experiences ritual & such. however, things like pens/pencils, notepads, little stuffed pandas (or whatever mascot she is) are totally fine & super cute! plus, be aware that her big may be giving her things along the way!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEbabypanda View Post
i know personally i was told i could wear my letters from day one as soon as i accepted my bid. im an AOII at ohio state, and whether this is a chapter rule or it comes from the national level im not sure. the reasoning behind it is that they want us to feel included and a part of our chapter. i truly didnt start wearing blocks though til my big got me my first shirt, but i did have a pan hel shirt that spelled out "alpha omicron pi" across the back. i would wait til your daughter was initiated to send her block shirts or anything like that, because the letters AOII will mean nothing to her til she experiences ritual & such. however, things like pens/pencils, notepads, little stuffed pandas (or whatever mascot she is) are totally fine & super cute! plus, be aware that her big may be giving her things along the way!
You were reading my mind. Perhaps get items in colors or mascots that she could use, maybe even a school shirt in her AOII colors if that's a campus trend. I'd cruise www.aoiiemporium.com as those items are licensed and approved by AOII, and may help fund programming. You could also maybe find out who her big sister (panda pal?) is and be in cahoots for gifting so you're not repeating items and learn the traditions of the chapter.

Pandas are way cute and pretty easy to find, you're lucky!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard that Kappas are allowed to wear letters as soon as they pledge. However, it's sort of a tradition for the bigs to give their littles their first letter shirt on her initiation, so girls typically don't buy them before initiation.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEbabypanda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
You were reading my mind. Perhaps get items in colors or mascots that she could use, maybe even a school shirt in her AOII colors if that's a campus trend. I'd cruise www.aoiiemporium.com as those items are licensed and approved by AOII, and may help fund programming. You could also maybe find out who her big sister (panda pal?) is and be in cahoots for gifting so you're not repeating items and learn the traditions of the chapter.

Pandas are way cute and pretty easy to find, you're lucky!
She's an AOII; her daughters pledged Pi Phi and AXO.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I'm surprised that your chapter was ok with the Greek letters being on the Panhellenic shirt. Our Panhel shirts had all the names of the sororities spelled out, because two out of the five NPCs then on campus (AEPhi and Theta) don't let anyone who isn't an initiated sister wear their letters. I guess it's a little easier to do that when you're talking about five sororities and not 16.
We aren't, actually! The NMs aren't allowed to wear the Pan shirts until after they are initiated It's dissapointing to some at first, but it is so much more special afterward.