Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 995
1 members and 994 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
One of my chapter sisters did not hold office within the chapter but was a leader in lots of other stuff on campus and she was able to get some DG scholarships... so I think they will look at leadership outside DG, too!

Also, check out fastweb for scholarships... they have tons of stuff on there!
I've never heard of fastweb but I check that out, thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

The TB test isn't bad-it's a small needle and it's a quick poke-very superficial-then they make a small bump when they inject the stuff and you're done!

I'm really surprised you don't have to do a Hepatitis series. That's pretty standard, and most employers will make sure you got it.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennRN View Post
The TB test isn't bad-it's a small needle and it's a quick poke-very superficial-then they make a small bump when they inject the stuff and you're done!

I'm really surprised you don't have to do a Hepatitis series. That's pretty standard, and most employers will make sure you got it.
Well we do have to have the hepatitis series, but I guess I already had mine done? My brother is going entering his radiology tech program this fall so he had to get a physical + the shots that I need to get (including the two-step TB). He was fine with his hepatitis series, which means I should be too....I hope!!!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicflowers View Post
Thank you! Resigning isn't really my plan because actually I think I can make this "balance" work, I just probably won't be around that often. The *MAIN* thing I'm worried about is finances. My mother doesn't want me to take out loans for some reason...I know that there are DG scholarships but a lot of them seem to look for leadership positions and well, I haven't had ANY (no VP/directorship...I probably won't have the time for that now lol)...and my college of nursing offers A LOT of nursing scholarships, but of course they don't start taking applications until the spring :|
Hmm, are you needing money for DG dues and such? (non-nursing related things)
Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baci View Post
Hmm, are you needing money for DG dues and such? (non-nursing related things)
Well when it all comes down to it, I guess you could say that because everything else is currently going to nursing-related stuff lol
Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't forget that Akron has the Martin Scholarship. Almost all the girls who apply for it get something!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgirl View Post
Don't forget that Akron has the Martin Scholarship. Almost all the girls who apply for it get something!
Actually, I have forgotten about that...silly me! Thanks for bringing this to my attention, tho
Old 07-28-2008, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

update

hello all =)

okay so I talked to my chapter adviser about everything and she said that she would figure out a way to keep me as a member while providing some flexibility to accomodate my busy schedule. so that's a relief! I refuse to give up so quickly! =)

I guess my only other concern will be financial issues atm bc I have seriously spent ~$1,000 just on nursing supplies (shoes, steth, etc), uniforms & books (books alone are over $800 ) but I think I will be able to manage =)

Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it!
ITB =)
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

You CAN Do It!

It is 110% possible and the best thing is you will have your sisters there to support you. I know MANY MANY MANY DGs who were/are nursing majors, both long ago and today. Look into the local scholarship that was mentioned, talk to your Chapter Advisor about other scholarships or low/no interest loans, and then put you "thinking cap" on. As a DG, I'm sure you've come across a ton of creative (and fun) ways to raise money for a good cause. See if you can't think of a way to fundraise for your new cause--YOU! Schedule-wise, yes you will be busy, but so are your sisters with full-time jobs, take a look around and see how they do it. 10-to-1 says they will have some great tips for you. #1: invest in a good dayplanner--and use it! #2: Rest whenever you get the chance, you can't afford to throw exhaustion or illness into the mix. Snaps to you for being proactive and planning ahead! Congrats on getting into nursing!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGwithagrey View Post
It is 110% possible and the best thing is you will have your sisters there to support you. I know MANY MANY MANY DGs who were/are nursing majors, both long ago and today. Look into the local scholarship that was mentioned, talk to your Chapter Advisor about other scholarships or low/no interest loans, and then put you "thinking cap" on. As a DG, I'm sure you've come across a ton of creative (and fun) ways to raise money for a good cause. See if you can't think of a way to fundraise for your new cause--YOU! Schedule-wise, yes you will be busy, but so are your sisters with full-time jobs, take a look around and see how they do it. 10-to-1 says they will have some great tips for you. #1: invest in a good dayplanner--and use it! #2: Rest whenever you get the chance, you can't afford to throw exhaustion or illness into the mix. Snaps to you for being proactive and planning ahead! Congrats on getting into nursing!
Thank you so much, DGwithagrey!
Old 08-09-2008, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

No problem, hon!

No problem, hon! Feel free to PM me if you need some encouragement or advice. I was not a nursing major, but my sophomore roommate, and my best friend were (and were both DGs and VERY active). Plus, sometimes, you just need a cheering section. :-) That's what us moms are for.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping because I wanted to know how AtomicFlowers is doing!! I've thought about her often, and was hoping she survived nursing school and wanted to see how she's doing!
Anyone know?