GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,306
3 members and 1,303 guests
KDKells, LaneSig, Low D Flat

Old 05-04-2004, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
Not to hijack the thread, but while you're answering, I'm very interested to hear the reasoning in your chapter or campus behind using a video vs. a skit or neither one.
Well, at W&L we use both. We have a skit night and then use videos on a separate night (Sisterhood Night).
Old 05-05-2004, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Adelphean1851 Send a message via Yahoo to Adelphean1851
At UNLV we used a video/slideshow on go greek night (night 1), to give the girls a feel for what each house is about. It started with the leading house on campus and I think everyone just started to do them to be competitive. it was definatley a new thing. Also UNLV had started doing first day cuts so giving the girls a visual defiantely helped them get a better feel for a house before making their decisions.
Skits were done on Orientation Night to get the girls familair with the groups core values and symbols and of course to win them over with stunning dance moves.

Last edited by Adelphean1851; 05-05-2004 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I am pretty sure sac state does a picture slide show at the beginning of formal recruitment. It has music and whatnot as well.

We have one that we show to the new recruits at our first event (we don't participate in formal recruitment.)

The Alpha Phi chapter here has a video on their website but I am too lazy to download it... it takes a while. www.alphaphicsus.com (i think.)
Old 05-05-2004, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Baltimore, MD - Missing Sitting on the Green Monster with Johnny Damon and Teddy Bruschi
Send a message via AIM to PlymouthDZ
We're going to be using a video at our activities fair during the first week of school.. its going to be playing at our table for girls to see. This will be our first year with a video. We usually do a slideshow, but my older brother and his girlfriend offered to make a video this year.

I'm excited to see how it comes out!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

East Tennessee State University has them. We use them on Philanthropy night, and they must be philanthropy-related only.

Beth
jwright25
Old 07-08-2004, 08:44 PM

University of Central Florida uses videos.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAngel
University of Central Florida uses videos.
And I'm making my chapter's as we speak... what a headache!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

florida state university uses them. they are a broad overview of what each chapter did the previous year so the pnm's can get a bit of a grasp on what sorority life is all about.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ztabchbum Send a message via Yahoo to ztabchbum
Stetson University uses rush videos during cokes as well. It's my favorite part of rush. When I was in school I had good friends in the other orgs and always went to watch their videos. They're all great.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

At Ole Miss (The University of Mississippi) we use a video during philanthropy round. Mostly this is a time to showcase your philanthropy and then to present your chapter to the PNMs.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

We used to have a slide show for Pref Night but this year i'm having someone make a video for our chapter...if the guy ever gets it done ...he said that it would be done at the end of June but obviously it's July now and there's nuttin' (good thing we haven't given him the fee for doing it)
Old 07-13-2004, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
At Hillsdale, I think Panhel just leaves it up to us.

For example: We use a video (basically just a picture slideshow set to music on the TV) during Informal Recruitment open houses and during Formal Recruitment at the pref party, after we chat with the girl(s) we are preffing and before we do the pref ceremony.

However, when I went through Formal Recruitment as a freshman.... One of the other three houses showed their video during open houses (first day); the other two didn't. However, that other house's video still sticks in my mind, which proves to me that videos work: It was a the Kappa Kappa Gamma house, and ended with a clip of all the girls at a bid night singing that "I'm So Happy" song.

In my humble opinion, a video is a great way to show PNMs the things that they would get to experience as a member of ABC sorority - we include pictures from formals, sisterhood activities, philanthropy activities, members involved in sports or other campus activities, etc.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Western Illinois University uses videos...
And they use a slide show for Rho Chi's reveal

ASA has a video that I believe is mandatory that we show during recruitment...although it can just be playing while the PNM's do their philanthropy activity, i don't think we have to actually sit them down, un-distracted to watch it.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
videos

The videos we're all talking about here, are these videos you made yourselves, are they videos that your national organization puts together and distributes to each chapter? I'm curious to know if chapters use the videos that HQs has done.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

ours is a video we produce ourselves and is a combination of slides (still shots) and live video.