» Online Users: 1,524
0 members and 1,524 guests
No Members online

Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Quite frankly, most of the (non-member) advisors I've come in contact with are humbled and surprised when they're offered membership.
How many non-member advisors are out there for NPC groups?

(Honestly just asking...)
Old 10-08-2008, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post

There's actually a lot. Campus advisors, for one, are often not members of the organization. My chapter's campus advisor is the dean of the humanities college at Gannon. Every semester for midterms and finals she would send a huge spread to the house so we had food to eat while studying. Plus, she would come to (open) events - we even invited her to feast of roses after initiation.

I know another chapter on my campus had my former boss as their campus advisor, a secretary in the new student services office. She was wonderful and extremely active in the chapter, and the chapter appreciated it. Not sure if she was ever extended membership, but honestly I think that chapter would be crazy if they didn't!

ETA: Our campus advisor was also really really helpful in finding a room big enough to do initiation - and very good at keeping it discrete and making sure that there weren't a lot of groups using those buildings when we were initiating a new member class.

Last edited by agzg; 10-08-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

From what I understand, AST has quite a few non-member advisors. We are also able to have male advisors, one of which is David Stollman, Co-founder of CAMPUSPEAK, who advises the Delta Phi chapter at NYU. LOVE him!

@~/~~~~
Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think it is more common on rural campuses where recruiting alumnae to serve is difficult. I went to grad school in relatively-rural Virginia, and there were quite a few chapters on that campus that had advisors who were not members of the organization. Most of the advisors were employees of the university in some regard.

There was also the poster recently who advised the ZTA chapter that her sister had been a part of. That chapter then voted to offer her membership as an AI. IIRC it was a similar situation- rural campus with no one else to help the chapter.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I was one. The chapter I advise is pretty much geographically isolated - the nearest alumnae chapters are at least an hour away and, this not being a high population area, there just aren't a lot of alumnae nearby. When the chapter's previous advisor moved away, the chapter asked me to be its advisor - my sister was an alumna of the chapter and I also coach one of the current sisters. So I guess I was a little unusual in that I already had a connection to the chapter, but I wasn't a member when I became advisor. I am now, though.

ETA - Blondie93 is talking about me! Great minds think alike. :-)
Old 10-08-2008, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
I was one. The chapter I advise is pretty much geographically isolated - the nearest alumnae chapters are at least an hour away and, this not being a high population area, there just aren't a lot of alumnae nearby. When the chapter's previous advisor moved away, the chapter asked me to be its advisor - my sister was an alumna of the chapter and I also coach one of the current sisters. So I guess I was a little unusual in that I already had a connection to the chapter, but I wasn't a member when I became advisor. I am now, though.
Hey! You were the one that I was thinking of!

And bringing this back to the topic of AI... you are *exactly* the type of situation that AI should be used for. Congrats to you!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
These PNAM's should always be approached by initiated members, and PNAM's should never approach the sorority for membership information. Those that contact us out of the blue seeking AI info in this manner should automatically not be extended a bid to membership.
And I would never want to automatically exclude any woman just because she approached us. Yes, I understand there are some bad apples who come that way. However, I also know of a handful of women who currently devote a lot of time to Gamma Phi who would not be Gamma Phi's if we had that ultimatum.

Our alumnae chapter has AI'd 3 women; 2 who had prior connections and 1 who contacted us. The 1 who contacted us is the only one who has remained committed.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
And I would never want to automatically exclude any woman just because she approached us. Yes, I understand there are some bad apples who come that way. However, I also know of a handful of women who currently devote a lot of time to Gamma Phi who would not be Gamma Phi's if we had that ultimatum.

Our alumnae chapter has AI'd 3 women; 2 who had prior connections and 1 who contacted us. The 1 who contacted us is the only one who has remained committed.
I still stand by my opinion.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
I think it is more common on rural campuses where recruiting alumnae to serve is difficult.
And as alphagamzetagam mentioned, many schools INSIST that the primary chapter advisor be a faculty or staff member. You don't fight with the administration and say "ohh, our nationals says it has to be a sister" if you want to stay a registered student organization.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a very remote chapter in the UP of Michigan that was left high and dry by the ONLY advisor we could find. This actually happened two years in a row. We realized that we have to do *something* to get some consistency in advisors with this group. At Convention, myself, along with one of our alumnae development volunteers and the collegiate delegate met to develop a plan for this chapter. Part of this plan includes AI recruitment. We first did a mass mailing to all alumnae within a 75 mile radius of the chapter. By doing that, we found 4 women who are graduate students (read, in the area temporarily) who are willing to serve as advisors for now and assist with an AI recruitment and education effort. We have contacted the advisors at the chapter two hours away and they are willing to assist with the recruitment effort as well. We have asked both collegiate chapters up there to provide us with names of women who have been their bosses, co-workers, have been local business owners or faculty/staff who are in the area and who might be interested in mentoring them as advisors and becoming AIs. We talked with the Greek Advisor for ideas on where to look for women who may be motivated to do something like this. We found a list of community organizations in the city. The organizations include women's business organizations and things like that. The Greek Advisor also suggested 4 or 5 of those groups. We are gathering some materials to use as a "pitch" to these groups and getting some local alumnae and advisors to go to some of these meetings to "present" the idea to these organizations and gather names. We intend to have events which will include some of the local alumnae (some are too far away to advise but are willing to come and help with these) as well as some of the collegiate officers there to meet these women, get to know them, answer questions, etc. Then we will decide who we want to invite to AI. We have worked very hard on this plan and I've never been involved in something of this magnitude, but we're hopeful that we can find some area women who will welcome the opportunity to mentor and be involved as advisors. If we can get enough, we'd like to develop an alumnae club as well so that they can benefit from the sisterhood that a club can bring and not just work with the collegians. After invitations are extended and accepted, there will be an education period followed by initiation with the collegiate chapter's winter class.

I see faculty/campus advisors as different from Chapter Advisor. A Chapter Advisor must be a member to be able to attend our Executive Council and Initiation, etc. There are things that a faculty/campus advisor can be helpful with, but you have to have *someone* there who knows ritual, membership selection, etc.

My other UP chapter has a few advisors who are AIs. The past CA is a VP for the University but was initiated. Her daughter became a member of that chapter eventually and is now the CA. It's worked out great.

For these extremely remote chapters, I think it's a great and needed option. We are clearly targeting a select group (first women who have some connection to current members and then women who have demonstrated leadership/business sense in the community) I think in the long run, it will have the benefit of demonstrating the positive side of the Greek system to the community as well. I don't think we'll end up getting sorority shoppers because, quite honestly, the "I really need to be in a sorority" attitude just isn't that prevalent. I think, instead, we'll be battling the "Why in the world would I want to join a sorority at my age?" mentality. I'll let y'all know how it goes!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, not trying to be stupid here, but one thing I've been confused by --- I keep reading all these critiques about "sorority shopping" if a woman looks at more than one NPC for AI, but then undergrads are bashed if they don't give consideration to every NPC group available on their campus?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
Honestly, not trying to be stupid here, but one thing I've been confused by --- I keep reading all these critiques about "sorority shopping" if a woman looks at more than one NPC for AI, but then undergrads are bashed if they don't give consideration to every NPC group available on their campus?
Comparing collegiate recruitment to Alumnae Initiation is like comparing apples and oranges.

They are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum and one should not even compare the two.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
AI is much different than NPC recruitment in college. Completely different concept.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Undergraduate recruitment is based on the concept of mutual selection. Anyone who meets the requirements may go through recruitment.

Alumnae Initiation is, as far as I know, considered by all NPCs as an honour bestowed on select women. It is NOT based on mutual selection. At least, not in the same sense.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 10-08-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree with ThetaPrincess24. A very special honor reserved for a select few and under very special consideration. Less is more.