GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,079
0 members and 1,079 guests
No Members online

Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Ohio University is on the list, and I have to say that greek life is on the decline there (pledge classes are down to 25ish members each). And even when I was in school (back in the days of 50-member new member classes and adding new sororities) it wasn't the end all be all to be greek. I think SMU (which is not on the list) has a more important greek life- it's more important to be greek there than OU.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God

Last edited by ForeverRoses; 05-05-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Monday Morning Spelling Errors
Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Where'd you go? Pitt?
Yes, she went to Pitt. To say that the expense/effort to recolonize at Pitt is the same as it would be at LSU or even Ohio State is laughable. And she's right - ONE quote from ONE person from ONE sorority certainly doesn't apply to all groups, or even to the majority of their own group. (Stop laughing Sandy, I know you are.)

LA - I don't know exactly what he's intimating but I do know if I was an A Xi D I'd be kind of pissed.

The next thread will be "colonies that never chartered at schools that have a wild animal as a mascot." In all seriousness - we've been here before - I think a lot of people appreciate oldu's stats, but the commentary, not so much.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldu View Post
4 Chi Omega
3 Delta Gamma
3 Kappa Alpha Theta
3 Kappa Kappa Gamma
Oldu: "Oh, no! Really? Well, at least they're at the bottom of the list. Hmm, maybe if I choose different campuses I can get those numbers down a bit. Darn it!"

Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
It just bothers me that some of you swarm to oldu's threads to pick apart and criticize. It's like his connections, experience, longevity, and perspectives are not as worthy as your 10,000+ posts on Greek Chat.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
connections, experience, longevity, and perspectives
Connections - 1
Experience - None (he's not in an NPC)
Longevity - ???
Perspectives - Skewed

Old 05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Old u I like your stats...keep them up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldu View Post
An asterisk indicates that a colony exisits, or will be this fall, and the number will reduce by one when it is installed.

U. Alabama 6 inactive, 15 active **

In a few years this will be 4 inactive and 17 active after Alpha Phi and DG colonize. That is if all our current chapters stay active.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:24 PM

I always knew that there were tiers among sororites at my school but I never knew there were national tiers until I started seeing these threads and some of the self-important comments within it. Seriously though? Some of you really care which sororities are the strongest nationally? It just seems like a way for grown adults to wield a big stick long after graduation which I personally find sad.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I can only speak for a campus I'm more familiar with, but at UC Berkeley almost ever chapter closed is a single letter chapter. I think not only were the 60's and 70's a trying time for Cal, but also the structures we have in place now for recruitment, quota, total, large houses etc. where not so rigid back in the early 1900's so it was probably easier for groups to start chapters.

If I'm remembering correctly, DG's Berkeley chapter only had 13 charter members in 1907, but if any group were to expand on campus now I doubt they would feel comfortable starting a colony with 13 members!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel View Post
I always knew that there were tiers among sororites at my school but I never knew there were national tiers until I started seeing these threads and some of the self-important comments within it. Seriously though? Some of you really care which sororities are the strongest nationally? It just seems like a way for grown adults to wield a big stick long after graduation which I personally find sad.
Maybe the lack of a big stick is the issue.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

My question would be this: Do these statistics show "new" chapters among the statistics.

What I mean is that when I return to Ohio University, there are some houses that weren't there when I was a student way back when.

So, do the statistice identify new groups that have failed as well as more established ones?

There can be a number of reasons for a chapters failure -- not always having to do with relative strength of the system as a whole on campus.

Specifically, in terms of OU, the "new" president (of about three years) is a BGLO member, whereas the former president was not particularly supportive of GLO's.

Also, when was the list compiled.

Here's a link to a list of active GLO's and Colonies at Ohio:

http://www.ohio.edu/campuslife/greek/chapters.cfm
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 05-05-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add link
Old 05-05-2008, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Oldu: "Oh, no! Really? Well, at least they're at the bottom of the list. Hmm, maybe if I choose different campuses I can get those numbers down a bit. Darn it!"
L. O. L. O. L. O. L.

Exactly.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

...and a discussion is what's happening. Even discussion of whether it is indeed interesting or has merit is still part of the discussion.

So........
Old 05-05-2008, 03:35 PM

The stats are not the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
He's just posting some interesting information- just take it for what it's worth. I think everyone else is. I don't mind if his statistics wouldn't hold up under the microscope because his posts are only for the sake of discussion.
but

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
In all seriousness - we've been here before - I think a lot of people appreciate oldu's stats, but the commentary, not so much.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes, she went to Pitt. To say that the expense/effort to recolonize at Pitt is the same as it would be at LSU or even Ohio State is laughable. And she's right - ONE quote from ONE person from ONE sorority certainly doesn't apply to all groups, or even to the majority of their own group. (Stop laughing Sandy, I know you are.)
Oh, you know me so well.

Quote:
In all seriousness - we've been here before - I think a lot of people appreciate oldu's stats, but the commentary, not so much.
Right.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I checked to see why Southern Methodist was not included. My cut-off was institutions with 9 or more NPC groups and they have 8. However, it would easily fit the pattern I suggest. Nine inactive chapters, three of which were closed in the past 15-20 years, at a place where a multimillion dollar home is a must. Believe me, ask any of your top officers and they will assure you that they will not casually make a decision to enter one of these institutions. That is why many group make a decision NOT to present when an opening arises -- they have evaluated the situation and concluded that time and money would be better invested elsewhere. My sorority friend, who is a former council member, tells me that is why it is such a difficult decision when alumnae of the former chapter badly want it revived, and they are unable to commit to do it. I am aware of several very expensive sorority houses which were sold at a loss to another group because the chapter failed. No group, however wealthy they may be, can afford many of those mistakes.