Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,058
0 members and 1,058 guests
No Members online

Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13
I wouldn't step, especially in Florida. I fully support the idea of the D9 refusing to step. I wuld even take it further and suggest that the NPHC holds a competing step show at the same time as the other show and see who comes to which show.

Call me snooty, elitish, or whatever. I'll be that, but I can't agree with fly by night orgs, which FL is famous for, stepping in the same competition as the D9.
I did agree with you some time ago, but at the end of the day you have to be realistic. When the D9 first said they were not stepping everyone screamed racism and elitism. But that is not the issue. I have no problem stepping against a Latin fraternity or any other fraternity that is well developed enough to compete. I was first angered by the many play play organizations that wanted to step, some of which just organized a year ago. I ask you all the same question I asked myself. DOES STEPPING WITH GDI's or SERVICE FRATS GIVE OFF THE APPEARANCE OF EQUALITY BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT ORGANIZATIONS?
= Because you're a semester too late
= Because you love to imitate
Old 12-19-2005, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
Yeah, but if a D9 is sponsoring a step show, then think about all those entrance fees the org is loosing by not having GDIs step. At the end of the day money is green....
Many of these stepshows aren't sponsored by the D9 so we never see the profits of the entrance fees. We just compete for the cash prizes. The cash prizes are often not even worth the time and effort it takes to compete.

I personally wouldn't step in shows sponsored by outsiders that are aimed at exploiting the popularity of the D9. These are generally the shows that have everyone and their momma stepping in them. The D9 profit from these shows can be low, you may have a difficulty getting your prize, and (to be honest with you) I'm tired of seeing us stepping and strolling all the damn time anyway.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marquise1911
DOES STEPPING WITH GDI's or SERVICE FRATS GIVE OFF THE APPEARANCE OF EQUALITY BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT ORGANIZATIONS?
Sure!!! We're all equal...equally boring as hell in most stepshows.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Sure!!! We're all equal...equally boring as hell in most stepshows.
Wow! I sense some issues here...Thanx for the reply.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow! I sense some issues here.
That's the same thing I say when I go to stepshows.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's the same thing I say when I go to stepshows.
You are hilarious. Really!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

No self-respecting Greek org should be stepping with or against non D9. Its garbage.

You don't get to be elite by having others pimp your glory, style, and reputation.

I beg to differ with another writer, stepping is the PROVINCE of Black Greeks. All others are mimicry, no matter how well they do it.

You are only publicizing and giving equal weight to other orgs. That is not our purpose. Let them fund, sponsor, and publicize their own events.

For those who say "but what about the money"? STOP PIMPIN' YOURSELVES. If we don't participate, there is no draw and they will quickly go back to the previous rules. I'm not spending 0, 20 dollars, ride in from out of town, roadtrip, etc to see some damn KKY, The Jets and the Sharks, or the Gay Pride Step Team, nor First Baptist Holy Ghost Bible Fellowship Full Gospel Tabernacle House of Praise and Chicken step team.

Be elite, be the best, or be mediocre.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
I rest my case

Quote:
Originally posted by PerroLoco
No self-respecting Greek org should be stepping with or against non D9. Its garbage.

You don't get to be elite by having others pimp your glory, style, and reputation.

I beg to differ with another writer, stepping is the PROVINCE of Black Greeks. All others are mimicry, no matter how well they do it.

I'm not spending 0, 20 dollars, ride in from out of town, roadtrip, etc to see some damn KKY, The Jets and the Sharks, or the Gay Pride Step Team, nor First Baptist Holy Ghost Bible Fellowship Full Gospel Tabernacle House of Praise and Chicken step team.

Be elite, be the best, or be mediocre.
Like I said earlier, yall just afraid that another group would run circles around you, whoop yalls behind, and just steal your thunda and glory.

I dunno if it's elitism or fear, but I venture to say that it's a little of both.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MissMonika
Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Greeting bruhs, this is Marquise, SPR 2k4 "Dia-Bolikal" Ace Klub.
On my campus, which will remain nameless, the homecoming step show has been opened up to "all greek letter organizations". In the past only the Pan-Greeks were privillaged to step in the show, because we created it. There are service frats and sororities on campus that want to step and also some coed social organizations that want to step also. The Divine 9 on our campus has decided not to step in the show at all. Some say they refuse to step with "service frats and GDI's" and others say "the show has lost it's value". Bruhs what do you think as Nupes. Should my chapter step or not? And would you object to stepping with "GDI's"?
I think is comes down to who is paying for putting on the Stepshow. If the University is paying for the show, then who can step has always been up to them, they just let you think it was going your way. If your NPHC wants to have a Divine 9-Only stepshow, you are going to have to pay for it yourself. With the new "Diversity" kick eolleges are promoting, you better believe that stepshows would be affected.

We had the same issue at San Francisco State Univ. Because NPHC Members were on the Stepshow committee, we created "entry rules" that only create an environment in which mostly NPHC Members were eligible:

* Founded before 1964
* Have a history of stepping of at least 10 years and have stepped twice in the past 12 months
* Must have a Theme Central to Promoting Wellness (Physical or social) in the African American Community

We did have to make some accomodations (a Black Sorority, Gamma Phi Delta, was allowed to enter as they were founded in 1943, they won actually)

As for whether you should step, I think you should for the reason of Campus politics mainly. A NPHC boycott may comeback on you negatively over the academic year. it would be mainly a big picture thing.

Good luck either way.

Monika
Old 01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Is stepping in the same show as "GDI's" or service frats wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by MissMonika

it would be mainly a big picture thing.

Monika
I'm amazed at people who don't get this.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I rest my case

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
Like I said earlier, yall just afraid that another group would run circles around you, whoop yalls behind, and just steal your thunda and glory.

I dunno if it's elitism or fear, but I venture to say that it's a little of both.
Spoken like a true, black APO member.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Cool Hi, DSTCHAOS

Quote:
Spoken like a true, black APO member.
DANG STRAIGHT!

Moving on...
Old 01-09-2006, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
Whassa matter, you 'fraid they might whoop yalls behinds and steal ya' thunda'? (jovially speaking, of course)

*LOL* Just humor yall, nothing more.
Of course not. I just think that D9 orgs are more reputable, and we lend credibility to those other orgs, when we step in shows with them.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
Yeah, but if a D9 is sponsoring a step show, then think about all those entrance fees the org is loosing by not having GDIs step. At the end of the day money is green....
Money? Wow.

My status is worth more than money to me. Those others are not on our level. You mean to tell me that a $100 entrance fee (multiplied by however many orgs are allowed) is worth more than the status of our organizations? They should be trying to get on our level, but we shouldn't be inviting them to the Penthouse suite.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I did agree with you some time ago, but at the end of the day you have to be realistic. When the D9 first said they were not stepping everyone screamed racism and elitism. But that is not the issue. I have no problem stepping against a Latin fraternity or any other fraternity that is well developed enough to compete. I was first angered by the many play play organizations that wanted to step, some of which just organized a year ago. I ask you all the same question I asked myself. DOES STEPPING WITH GDI's or SERVICE FRATS GIVE OFF THE APPEARANCE OF EQUALITY BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT ORGANIZATIONS?
It gives off the appearance of equality, and dammit, we are not equal.