GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 990
3 members and 987 guests
John, PhoenixAttain, Xidelt

Old 07-27-2005, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Advantages of the new NPC Release Figure System

Here's how it was explained to me in a nutshell. Someone else who has already been through it could probably explain it better than me, but I'll try. Please correct me if I'm off base.

This new system was designed based on historical statistical data of past years' return rates for each Chapter. Those Chapters that have traditionally high return rates will not be allowed to invite back as many as those Chapters that have lower historical return rates.

The reason behind this is to benefit the PNMs by not being strung along by a Chapter that has no intention of offering them a bid, yet they want "full parties". Hopefully a PNM will only be a little heartbroken being dropped after 1st stage rather than being crushed after 3rd. This way the PNM will hopefully accept invites to other Chapters where she would have a very strong chance in receiving a bid and would enjoy being a member.

Here was an example that was used to explain this to me. Let's say 500 PNMs are going through Recruitment and quota will be 30. ABC is the top GLO on campus and historically their return rates are almost 100% for each stage. XYZ on the other hand struggles with their return rates, yet they are a good solid GLO with a strong sisterhood. XYZ ends up repeatedly being dropped by PNMs because everybody accepts ABC's invites since the PNMs can only attend X number of parties.

With the old system ABC might be able to invite 400 back to 2nd stage, 300 to 3rd and 100 to Pref. Under the new system these numbers will be significantly less in order to allow PNMs to look at the other Chapters such as XYZ. In theory ABC should still have high return rates and offer bids to the PNMs they really want, but it will force them to narrow their potential group sooner.

Last edited by Zillini; 07-27-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
I have heard great things about this system at DLC this year. I thought all panhellenic organizations would have this established by Fall 06. That is when UNA will implement this new system.

I have heard that Larger chapters still get quota and still get who they want and, this new system helps the smaller chapters have a larger "pool" of girls to recruit. After a few years of this I am sure the entire greek system gets stronger at whatever specific university.

I am looking forward to it.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

If you've ever seen a presentation on the new release figures and how they work, it starts to make perfect sense. The math formula doesn't make sense, but the NPC representative (who's a Math whiz...she majored in math or something...I've seen her speak twice and can't think of her name....) shows a graph that make sense...at least to me.

Basically, the graph shows that ABC is the largest house on campus and has high return rates consistently. 90% of the women they keep on their invite lists through the week rank them #1 on the Pref Card. XYZ is the smallest house with lesser return rates. Only 50% of the women they keep on their invite list rank them #1.
(Now I'm using round numbers for easy math)...Let's say there are 200 women going through recruitment. Quota is 50. In order for ABC to make quota, they don't need to carry 150 women through to Pref...they only need to invite 56 women to pref in order to get 50 NMs (90% of 56=50). Conversely, XYZ needs to invite back 100 women to their pref in order to get 50 NMs. If ABC were allowed to invite 150 women all the way to pref, then there would not be enough women going to XYZ to ensure that they will get 50 NMs. Not only that, but if 150 women went to ABCs pref, and only 50 could accept bids, there's the potential that up to 100 women would not get their first choice, and may go bidless because they dropped XYZ way back on the second day.

Each year, these numbers are adjusted somewhat based on how the chapters are doing. So if the smallest chapter starts getting 90% return rates, the number of women they are allowed to keep inviting back changes. I believe it's also recalculated to account for withdrawals, no shows, etc.

You have to pretend there are a couple of other sororities in this recruitment model that I didn't do the math for (cause I'm not that much of a math whiz to make all the percentages come out nice and even) but you get the idea. The new release figures mathematically even the playing field. It does NOT help a "weak" chapter make up for poor recruitment skills or for not offering women what they are looking for (poor reputation, internal problems, etc.). And it may not save a chapter of 10 women on a campus where everyone else is at 100. However, for those chapters who are good chapters with a lot to offer, it helps funnel more women to their parties and gives them a chance to show more women what they have to offer. At least during structured recruitment. COR and all that stuff is a whole 'nother story.

I'm sure I've butchered the hell out of the explanation that NPC uses, but that's how I wrapped my mind around it. It's not a perfect explanation. Forgive me if my numbers don't quite add up...this was the best I could do without playing with numbers all night. And in no way does this take into account "quota range" or anything like that...that's for someone else to describe!!!

PsychTau
Old 07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Re: 2100 girls rushing

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovebama
I've heard there are around 2100 girls rushing at UA this year. What do you think that means? Huge pledge classes or cutting a lot of people?
That just fries my mind!!!

2100 pnms....whoa
Old 07-27-2005, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Re: 2100 girls rushing

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovebama
I've heard there are around 2100 girls rushing at UA this year. What do you think that means? Huge pledge classes or cutting a lot of people?
a little from column a, a little from column b.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: 2100 girls rushing

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
a little from column a, a little from column b.
No, it means that people believe the hype about Bama yet again, when in reality, quota will be somewhere between 55 and 75, just as it always is.

It's sort of like how people never read the whole thread.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Re: Re: Re: 2100 girls rushing

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
No, it means that people believe the hype about Bama yet again, when in reality, quota will be somewhere between 55 and 75, just as it always is.

it's a joke...Homer Simpson...? That's what I get from having rain outs for 2 days and nothing on but simpson's reruns.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally posted by greeklawgirl
Thank you for saying what I was thinking. If 2100 girls go through to preference, I'll eat my hat.
I so hope 2100 girls go through pref just for that.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

great explainations of the "new release figure" method. it has been used at fsu-i know that the chapters with historically high return rates did not suffer any repercussions-don't know if it benefited the others. perhaps penguintrax can fill us in?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Zillini for your great explanations! Now I get it Ole Miss won't use that until I guess next year!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greeklawgirl
Thank you for saying what I was thinking. If 2100 girls go through to preference, I'll eat my hat.
Hmmm.

2100 PNMs, 15 sororities (is that right?). If each PNM attends three pref parties, and everything is even, that means 140 PNMs per pref party...

You're gonna need a lot of candles. Don't burn down the building.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: 2100 girls rushing

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

Bama update - 1013 PNMs registered, 18 days until Recruitment starts
Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2100 girls rushing

Quote:
Originally posted by Zillini
LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

Bama update - 1013 PNMs registered, 18 days until Recruitment starts
1013 PNMS over what, 14 sororities with 15 first rounds? That's 68 per PX group - nothing new at Bama.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

There are 15 NPC Chapters on campus. If I'm not mistaken all of them will be participating in the open house/1st stage of formal recruitment. There will be 16 parties over 2 days with 8 per day. Each PNM group will have 1 party timeslot "free". However, if I recall correctly SDT will only participate in the first round, so from 2nd stage on will be only 14 Chapters. (That is how it's been for the last few years and I have not heard anyone say anything different for this year.)
Old 07-28-2005, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zillini
However, if I recall correctly SDT will only participate in the first round, so from 2nd stage on will be only 14 Chapters. (That is how it's been for the last few years and I have not heard anyone say anything different for this year.)
Why would they only participate in the first round?

"You used Ghostbusters for evil!" - Liz Lemon