GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,500
2 members and 1,498 guests
AOIIalum, naraht

Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD1111 View Post
Oh, okay. Why would the mixture be an issue? And no, I haven't spoken to IHQ yet. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to ask.
One idea comes to mind: Let's say other groups at your new school are members of NPC. The local group you are interested in joining one day decides to go National. If the new national group wasn't AGD, you couldn't join.

I'm sure there are more reasons...you should probably look into joining a local Alumnae Group as opposed to joining a different sisterhood. Ya know, since you pledged mine.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Is the local that you're interested in trying to affiliate with a national, or AGD specifically? I just find it curious that they're interested in doing events with your chapter of AGD, which is at a different school.

I think panhellenic events are awesome (loved our Monmouth Duo stuff with Pi Phi - both chapters at the same campus). We also would visit other Kappa chapters or host Kappas from other chapters, but I just can't see where there would have been any interest on our end to hold a joint event with XYZ sorority at Other University. Mostly this would have been with having a finite amount of funds and times for socials, so the intracampus and the chapter to chapter would have been where we would have directed our energy.

Of course, you did say that the local was interested. You didn't say that your AGD chapter was or was not interested, so I may have just wasted my time typing this.

But I agree with IHeartUGA - you may be better off affiliating with a local alum association.

Last edited by amIblue?; 09-15-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

KTE is not part of the college Panhellenic council. And I'm fairly certain they're not interested in affiliating with a national of any kind. The reason they'd be interested in events with my chapter of AGD is events with outside groups is something they're known for. They hold mixers with different organizations on and off campus all the time.
If it were up to me, I'd just start my own chapter of AGD here, but I'm not sure that's really feasible. And I've spoken to my sisters, and the girls of KTE, and none of them have a problem with me holding a dual membership. I realize it's not up to them, but it's nice to know I have their support. One of my sisters has emailed an advisor about this, so I'll let you all know what happens as soon as I find out. Thanks again for all the responses
Alpha Gam willalways, always be part of me

ΑΓΔ
Old 09-16-2011, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I got a response from my chapter's leadership consultant and I CAN join KTE

ΑΓΔ
Old 09-16-2011, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I got a response from my chapter's leadership consultant and I CAN join KTE
I think most people are aware that it is possible to hold membership in an NPC and a local sorority. You decided to transfer schools so you're an alumna.

The concern was whether or not they belonged to the CPC. And even if they're not interested in affiliating with an NPC right now doesn't mean it'll always be like this. We've seen locals forced to go inter/national by campuses before.

I'm going to be blunt and say that your decision to join another sorority has left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand you "miss Greek life" but it makes me a little sad that you're willing to take on someone else's letters so easily like that. For what? Mixers? Date dashes? You get to join another sorority on a technicality. Have fun with that.

But hey...the KTEs are willing to welcome you with open arms and the LC/your initiating AGD chapter says you can join them so my opinion doesn't really matter. You may as well change your GC username to KTE1111 while you're at it!

LIEP, I guess.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
LIEP, I guess.
Yeah, really. I echo everything my sister said above.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel like both of you are being way too harsh. you have no idea what i've been going through. And it has nothing to do with mixers or social life at all. Greek life is a part of me. It's all I've wanted since before highschool. College to me, means being greek. And it's not like I just woke up one day and decided to join a different organization. I was very apprehensive about it. And I was always up front with everyone. I'm your sister. and I always will be. and even if we never meet, when I say LIEP, I mean it. AGD is everything to me. KTE was only going to be an extension of that. but don't worry. The girls I spoke to didn't have the authority to tell me it was okay. KTE would only let me in if I disassociated with AGD. and as I've said many times, I'm not willing to do that. and just an FYI, the 1111 in my screen name has a significance. I pledged AGD on November 11. and I'll never forget that. I hope you can understand this

ΑΓΔ
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in a similar position to you several years ago. After three years as an active, I had to transfer to a school in my hometown where there wasn't a Kappa chapter. Was I sad about being an alum before I thought I would be? Yes. Did I miss sorority life. Yes. It was particularly hard for me because I knew a bunch of women from high school who were in sororities. There happened to be a local on my campus at the time, but it never once crossed my mind to even try to gain dual membership. Even though the local did some of same things my chapter had done, it wouldn't have been the same.

I found other ways to get involved with my campus. I missed being in a sorority, but I got over it. I am now working with a local collegiate chapter, and I'm really enjoying it.

Sometimes in life, circumstances arise that are less than ideal. The sooner one learns to accept that and make the best of a not-quite-awesome situation, the better off one will be.

I bet you'll find that you're not going to get the exact same experience out of the new group as the old. This could happen even if your new school had AGD and you affiliated with that chapter.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 PM

I guess I'm confused - first KTE wanted to have events with your AGD chapter, now they'll only let you in if you self-terminate? Are there other NPC groups on your campus, or are all the sororities local ones?

That being said, I wouldn't have a problem with someone in my sorority wanting to do this. To me, it's like having a mother and stepmother. You can love them both. But if your stepmother ever wants you to do something that would entail being disloyal to your mom (i.e. if the local would want to go NPC) then yes, you need to cut stepmom out of your life ASAP.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

It was younger members of KTE wanting to hold events with AGD. They didn't actually know the rules. Their constitution says you can't be in more than one social sorority at once. So it's really not up to any of them. I can handle just being friends with all of them though. I just wanted to get involved again. I can understand some being offended by that, but it wasn't a decision I just came to. I was never going to make it final until I knew for sure every one of my sisters approved. It's probably best this way. Nothing could live up to AGD.

ΑΓΔ
Old 09-17-2011, 04:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
It was younger members of KTE wanting to hold events with AGD. They didn't actually know the rules. Their constitution says you can't be in more than one social sorority at once. So it's really not up to any of them. I can handle just being friends with all of them though. I just wanted to get involved again. I can understand some being offended by that, but it wasn't a decision I just came to. I was never going to make it final until I knew for sure every one of my sisters approved. It's probably best this way. Nothing could live up to AGD.
As someone mentioned upthread, you should see if KTE will let you be a "social member" or something, where you pay some dues and participate in events, but don't do ritual or things like that.