GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,470
4 members and 1,466 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 02-21-2006, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob and Mollie..Deltas and Sigmas

Quote:
Originally posted by Live_Wire17
...However, it is nice that we can decorate a room with Red and White together and have fun doing it.
There's a Soror that I've grown extremely close to over the years whose husband is also a Kappa. If your room looks anything like their room I bet it is beautiful! They actually have a Crimson and Cream room (not Red and White) and I've never seen anything like it before- it's tastefully done and I'm very partial to colors

Old 02-22-2006, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Live_Wire17
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bob and Mollie..Deltas and Sigmas

Quote:
Originally posted by MightyQuinn
There's a Soror that I've grown extremely close to over the years whose husband is also a Kappa. If your room looks anything like their room I bet it is beautiful! They actually have a Crimson and Cream room (not Red and White) and I've never seen anything like it before- it's tastefully done and I'm very partial to colors

I am still working on it...I just moved so I don't want to rush it but it is fun getting it together.

"Like the perfect lyrics over the tightest beat"
Old 02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Greek Marriages

Quote:
Originally posted by PerroLoco
Ladies, I have a question.

I have recently been to seveal functions where older brothers were with their wives. To my surprise, many of them had Zetas as wives (the one common denominator being that they were all from the Midwest). Where I am from, that was/is extremely rare. Almost any brother over 35 that I have met has been either married to a Delta or AKA (usually 60/40 or 70/30)

What do you usually see as Greek combinations?
What a funny thing to care enough to ponder.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 02-22-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Question:

Are BGLO marriages really that big of a deal in the BGLO world? And for those that marry a non-member, I wonder how many of the spouses eventually pursue membership?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I know I'm totally crashing this thread, but it does say "Greek Marriages." So, I'm with a Que and how much would I LOVE a lavender and purple "shrine" room.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by From_the_roots
Are BGLO marriages really that big of a deal in the BGLO world?
In all seriousness: NO
In all fun and BGLO jibberjabber: YES
Old 02-23-2006, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
I know I'm totally crashing this thread, but it does say "Greek Marriages." So, I'm with a Que and how much would I LOVE a lavender and purple "shrine" room.
Now you know you aren't a crasher. LOL. A lavender and purple room--sounds lovely.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Two of my three married line sisters (I have nine overall) are married to Greeks. The ace is married to an Omega, and the #5 is married to a Sigma; the tail's husband is definitively a GBI.

My #6 is a widow, and I don't think her late husband was Greek.

I am not dating, but if I were, being Greek is not the main thing I'm looking for, but I would hope he would respect my commitment.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Now you know you aren't a crasher. LOL. A lavender and purple room--sounds lovely.
Aww! Thanks lg! (((ladygreek)))

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by from_the_roots
Are BGLO marriages really that big of a deal in the BGLO world?
This was what I was wondering. Tangentially related, do you sisterfriends know many of your fellow Greeks who are married (or seriously dating) to non-Greeks? Truthfully, I haven't seen it happen that often where I'm from.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile I am!

Quote:
Originally posted by Amaterasu
This was what I was wondering. Tangentially related, do you sisterfriends know many of your fellow Greeks who are married (or seriously dating) to non-Greeks? Truthfully, I haven't seen it happen that often where I'm from.
I am happily married to a non-greek and believe me when I tell you it is beyond a non-issue for us. Of course my husband is well aware that I am a Delta but he couldn't care less. As one of my Sorors stated earlier, the question was asked out of friendly curiousity as opposed to a "this issue is crippling the Greek community and we need to fix it" type question.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Question:

Are BGLO marriages really that big of a deal in the BGLO world? And for those that marry a non-member, I wonder how many of the spouses eventually pursue membership?
My husband is a GDI and hates all greeks. And while at Morehouse, back in 1989, he really started the haterade on greeks... Some folks here know why...

He got his little heart broken by one of my sorors, then he had difficulty relating to the ladies of DST and he just started all out giving up on dating any sistahs before he met me... Guess, I changed his mind...

I wanted a huge BGLO wedding with music and all. But, I couldn't help who I fell in love with and it was a non-greek man... And he's a wonderful person and there are qualities I see in him transcendental of that when I have dated men in BGLO's...

I come from greek-love relationships. My parents are phirst-phamily--athough many of their friends are married to a variety of other organizations, too. It was easier to do things for my Sorority without explanation when I dated a man from a BGLO. I have to explain the actions to my GDI husband...

But I think my husband's attitude is changing by the work that he sees me do in the community... It's more than what he's doing. And the dedication is different than what he accustomed to. Something about the way I was brought into my Sorority indicates the reason why I have so much commitment to it and follow thru for it--however, he is not aware of that and it is not important to him--he is just blown away as to why I do some of the things I do for my Sorority...

As far as seriousness in our relationship, it doesn't matter--Just like MightQuinn said in hers. However, my father fails to understand that concept and the fact that my husband has no love for any fraternity...

However, I think my actions as a member of my Sorority is speaking louder than his original misconceptions about BGLO's in general...

But sometimes, I do miss and wish I could do some of the fraternity activities, such as go to the balls or step shows and have fun with my husband... But he really, really, really feels very uncomfortable in those situations--like a fish out of water and I wouldn't want to place him into what he perceives as a threatening position...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 02-23-2006, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Another thing:

My husband's parents are Sigma-Zeta love...

His brother I think wanted to be a Kappa...

I think my husband wanted to be something... But now he says he has no use for it. And the Sigma Pi Phi Boule was inviting him to events they were having, but he failed to understand that concept...

If my husband rethinks his position and decides to join a BGLO, I would be happy for him and then I'd probably have to deal with too much neophyte feva and nalia all over the place--even the drawers...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 02-23-2006, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband is a non-greek but absolutely loves that fact that I am Delta. In fact, when we met and he found out I was a Delta one of the first things he said was how much he respected our organization and how every Delta he has ever known was about business.

He is very supportive of my involvement and I am quite involved (charter member of my chapter, chapter officer, numerous commitees, etc.). I realize I am blessed because he has not once complained of me going to meetings, clusters, conventions etc. and spending time being involved with Delta. He himself, however, does not seem to be interested in being greek.

I do sometimes wish we could share some of the fun stuff that "greek marriage" couples share. But all in all I consider myself lucky that I have his support especially since he is non-Greek and I hear so many sorors and sistergreeks discuss how their non-greek husbands just don't understand and they have to tread lightly with how much they can be involved just so they don't make them too mad.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Amaterasu
My husband is non-Greek and has no Greek aspirations.