Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,246
4 members and 1,242 guests
LaneSig, naraht

Old 03-13-2002, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

the deal with the canes....

Hey DoggyStyle82,

I think it is safe to say that you can never be accused of not speaking your mind!! I do have a question for you? (hopefully you will not mind).
Is it about my man Steve Harvey (love him). I know he is Que, but I have always wondered when and where he became a Que?

Thanks...

Tenacious1922
Old 03-13-2002, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: The Kane issue

Quote:
Originally posted by DoggyStyle82

Thanks for your info. There is a lot of mis-information out there. Much of it due to the internet. As someone who has spent my greek life with real members at various yards in various geographical areas, I know the answers to your questions.

The Sigmas did not invent stepping
The cane (only Kappas can claim "kane") is not a traditional part of Sigma stepping.
The Sigma pledgees at one time, transitioned from Crescents to Dogs during "Hell Week", but have neva, eva had a "dogmatic" image.
"Hopping" is not native to Sigmas. Its just something else that they have tried to appropriate and try to claim as their own.
The Sigmas have liberally borrowed distinctions from other orgs in an attempt to enhance theirs.

Thats why "kanes" belong to the Nupes. It's their distinguishing characteristic. The Ques have a distinctive image, but now Sigmas strip and get freaky at the step shows, try some "hops", and try to be hard. They tried to do an Omega step at the Philly Greek one year and got wrecked.

Plain and simple, do what you do and stick to it. Leave other peoples "stuff" alone. Why be insecure in who you are and what you do (unless it doesn't work for you).

P.S. This doesn't apply to SGRho if that is a part of your history.
What do you mean "doesn't apply to SGRho if that is part of your history?" Didn't understand the statement.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: the deal with the canes....

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenacious1922
Hey DoggyStyle82,

I think it is safe to say that you can never be accused of not speaking your mind!! I do have a question for you? (hopefully you will not mind).
Is it about my man Steve Harvey (love him). I know he is Que, but I have always wondered when and where he became a Que?

Thanks...

Tenacious1922
Steve Harvey pledged at Psi Gamma Chapter at Kent State univ in Ohio in 1977, however he was not formally initiated until 1998.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: The Kane issue

Quote:
Originally posted by rhapsody1922

What do you mean "doesn't apply to SGRho if that is part of your history?" Didn't understand the statement.
Sorry. I don't know where SGRho's history with the cane came from nor how long its been part of your history. I see a lot of them perform with them and some without. I say that I don't know because I never saw many SGRhos until the mid -90's. None of the 70's or 80's Nupes that I know never mentioned a relationship with SGRho or about teaching them the art of "kaning". If the cane is part of your history, I'll take your word for it. It definitely could be the case in the midwest and I'll take a SGRho's word on that before I trust my limited observation of your org.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

DoggyStyle82,

While I appreciate your right to your opinions, can we agree to disagree and not be disagreeable?

To my knowledge, no Sigma Man has come to this forum saying negative things about Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., so why do you feel the need to voice hostility towards Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.?

I have nothing but respect for Alphas, Kappas, Omegas and Iotas. All I ask is that you respect my org in return.

Texas_Dove
Old 03-14-2002, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

For anyone interested in learning more about Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. involvement with canes, stepping etc...please check out http://www.sigmahistory.cjb.net.

I think this website goes a long way in clearing up "misconceptions" about Sigma.

To DoggyStyle82: I understand your position on these matters (I don't agree, but understand your position) and look forward to "chatting" with you in the future.

Texas_Dove
Old 03-14-2002, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Thumbs up Texas Dove you are class act

and I love that site.

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas_Dove
For anyone interested in learning more about Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. involvement with canes, stepping etc...please check out http://www.sigmahistory.cjb.net.

I think this website goes a long way in clearing up "misconceptions" about Sigma.

To DoggyStyle82: I understand your position on these matters (I don't agree, but understand your position) and look forward to "chatting" with you in the future.

Texas_Dove
Old 03-14-2002, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Texas_Dove
Thanks for the info. Very interesting and informative. Knowledge beats supposition any day. The old pics with the canes was proof enough so I must acquiesce on that being in their tradition. It must be regional because it is not universal as with the Kappas.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

PLEASE send me a pm!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by D-Ception
It is very ironic to me that I have not heard a Kappa yet comment on this question. I too am sort of curious as to what they think....I know this may seem off the wall but I was taught that the Alpha's started using canes but they stopped because the Kappa's "stole that style". From this the Alpha's simply let the Kappa's have the stepping with canes style.

Oh, by the way, I am new to this site so I hope no feathers were ruffled . Halla back.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Baby UM back....

Man, it's been a minute since I have been up in here... up in here.
I see things haven't changed much.
It is amazing how quickly dicussions can get heated in this camp.

Well let me put my two cents in.

I do agree with DoggyStyle a little. Frats should do what they do and what they do, only. However, I am sure that some where down the line, some organizations have bitten the styles of other organizations. Nevertheless, we all have a unique style that is "Often imitated but never duplicated." I don't care how many organizations started with, used, or incorporated a kane into their history.

NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT KANE like a NUPE (notice I didn't say Kappa) KNOWS ABOUT KANE ... and I'm not just talking about founders either.

You can twirl it, flip it, roll it, catch it and even hook it.
But until you get in the KUT, you don't know anything about it!

THAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE KANES.

"Youngblood"
SPR 93
Theta Lambda
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.

Last edited by Bobby Earl; 03-19-2002 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Re: Baby UM back....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Earl

You can twirl it, flip it, roll it, catch it and even hook it.
But until you get in the KUT, you don't know anything about it!

THAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE KANES.

"Youngblood"
SPR 93
Theta Lambda
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
That's a'ight, tho' Bobby Earl. The only thing I need to know about canes is that I am good at twirlin' 'em and that in dueling with Kappas on skills, I represent with the best of 'em.

THAT is the deal, and I know it better then Monty Hall himself

No hard feelings

Rain Man
Old 03-21-2002, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:

Texas_Dove
TEXAS_DOVE,

I visited your site. It was very informative. I have been a NUPE for more than a few years, so I have heard a lot of myths, tales, beliefs, and folk stories about Kappa Alpha Psi and all the other Black Frats. However, nothing is like reading, komprehending, and drawing your own konclusion. Unfortunately, so many young (sometimes old, too) brothers chose to believe what the "Ol Skool" brothers tell them and not seek the truth and arrive at their own konclusions.

Thank You for providing us with some "light".

Oh yeah, almost forget....

Rainman , you keep practicing with your freshly taped cane (notice I didn't spell it with a K), maybe one day you will be the best twirler in the whole wide world. When your doing a difficult move, be careful of the end on the opposite side of the hook. It can sting a little.

Last edited by Bobby Earl; 03-21-2002 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

Probably because GC is DEVOID, WITHOUT, MINUS any active, regular KAPPAS.
For the record Ms Crimson Tide,

I happen to be an active brother. Highly irregular, but active, none the less.

You just gave me an idea for a new thread.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Earl

For the record Ms Crimson Tide,

I happen to be an active brother. Highly irregular, but active, none the less.

You just gave me an idea for a new thread.
LOL, BobbyEarl, when I wrote this I was referring to the fact that no Kappas were present on GC on an active, regular basis to answer the question posed to YOU ALL AS KAPPAS yet other orgs were coming up in your forum and asking this question as well as trying to answer on your (KAPPA) behalf. That is all I meant.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyKitty Send a message via Yahoo to PrettyKitty
Bobby Earl that was funny...I needed a laugh for today...thanks! HAHAHA