GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,659
0 members and 1,659 guests
No Members online

Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I'm scratching my head because you don't seem to "get it." If they don't know you, and your only effort has been to sign your name to a list at a table on a particular day, don't you think that you should make some effort to talk to guys in classes, in the cafeteria, etc.? You haven't mentioned that you have done that.

As far as I know, fraternities don't have a "silence" period, and therefore, you should be as friendly as possible (without making people feel like you're only making friends because you want a bid). How did you choose these five organizations out of 21 if you don't know anyone?

Rush is about seeing if you're a good fit, but you need to give them something more to go on than a few seconds writing your name down. How to do that? As others have said, the old-fashioned way. Talk to people.
I think I do understand it more now. Again, I barely knew anything about greek life, thanks for the advice. I talked to a few friends a while ago and I was told that rush was a great way to meet people and that you didn't necessarily have to know brothers very well. Basically that there were a lot of rush events and everyone was invited. Misunderstanding I guess..
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Almost anyone who was part of a colonization process will tell you that it is some work, but well worth it.
This.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preewee View Post
I think I do understand it more now. Again, I barely knew anything about greek life, thanks for the advice. I talked to a few friends a while ago and I was told that rush was a great way to meet people and that you didn't necessarily have to know brothers very well. Basically that there were a lot of rush events and everyone was invited. Misunderstanding I guess..
If your friends go to a different school, their rush may be structured differently. Fall recruitment is different than spring/winter recruitment. In fall there are a ton of new students and a lot of people start off with a clean slate. In winter/spring, the fraternity men have had an entire semester to get to know students through mutual friends, dorms, clubs, classes etc and they will be pre-chosen. Think about it, you meet a cool guy in a class that is an ABC. You hang out with him during the term, study groups, lunch, pick up basketball games. You get to know some of his friends through hanging out with him. Spring semester comes and he, and a few of his friends/brothers, already know you are cool and like you since they have been hanging out with you. He invites you to a few of the events at the fraternity house. See how things play out?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Fair enough. Doesn't this kind of screw over people who come in 2nd semester though? And I chose 5 because a number like that was recommended, basically bc you can't possibly see every one during the rush period. Ill definitely broaden my interest though
People who come in 2nd semester aren't eligible to join a fraternity or sorority at Lehigh.

the University’s requirement includes completion of 12 Lehigh University credits and the maintenance of a 2.25 GPA for IFC fraternities

That's directly from their Quick Facts document on their website.
http://www.lehigh.edu/~indost/greek/...20Sessions.pdf
Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I missed the part where the school was announced, but it did occur to me that he might not be eligible. Good catch AGDee, and now the OP can quit worrying about it and start working on making himself the most sought after guy on campus next fall or spring.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, there's your answer, preewee! Outstanding catch AGDee! And as DubaiSis said, now the OP can stop worrying about this and be working towards the next opportunity for recruitment. I do hope you're feeling MUCH better now, preewee.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I used to work with our Lehigh chapter and believed that was the case. I just had to find verification that it was still true.

preewee hasn't been clear about whether he was a transfer or not. He's posted several threads and one of them mentioned Lehigh specifically.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

OP writes this, and I bolded the sentence that indicates that OP was at Lehigh last semester:

Quote:
I only started looking at Greek life recently, as in like a week or two ago. I have literally had not been to their parties or anything at all last semester. What could they possibly be judging? I dont know them and they don't know me. i thought the point of rush was to change that. At the party I went to last night I hit it off with the president and got an invite back for tomorrow. But I don't love that house. I would be very puzzled if them not liking me was the reason
thetalady posts this, which OP doesn't refute (in terms of not being at Lehigh last semester):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
You didn't land on campus in the last few days. Don't you think you met fraternity members eveywhere you went last semester... classes, out at restaurants or clubs, in the dorm, etc? They know you.
Then OP writes this, which introduces another topic entirely, but doesn't state that he came in 2nd semester, he's just asking about other people. And he apparently wasn't aware that Lehigh doesn't permit people to register for rush unless they have met certain unit/GPA requirements:

Quote:
Fair enough. Doesn't this kind of screw over people who come in 2nd semester though? And I chose 5 because a number like that was recommended, basically bc you can't possibly see every one during the rush period. Ill definitely broaden my interest though
OK? It seems to me that there is an increase in people coming here who don't write in enough detail to give ALL the necessary facts of a situation, and the rest of us either have to guess or guess incorrectly, and things go in the wrong direction. Then there are those who come here and post way too much information, which also leads to mayhem.

Where the hell is drolefille? Wasn't it drole who'd disect posts and make sense of them?

Bottom line: OP, if you went to Lehigh last semester, that's something to consider with regard to your lack of invitations, and people have given you other considerations as well. As for people who come in second semester, it is what it is; it's the Greek Life rules there, and it doesn't have anything to do with your situation.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
hm... thanks for the advice everyone. It's just weird because I know for a fact 300 people are rushing total for 21 fraternities. Based off of those numbers there are a lot of spaces in houses.
Fraternities don't have a total or quota or set amount of "spaces" they have to fill like sororities do, unless they are told to by their national organization (or possibly by their housing corporation that they need to fill the damn house). If a fraternity met all 300 guys who went through rush, thought they were all douchebags, and decided not to bid any of them, that would not be out of the question.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Where the hell is drolefille? Wasn't it drole who'd disect posts and make sense of them?
Yes it was. Her translationatory posts were brilliant.