GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,566
0 members and 1,566 guests
No Members online

Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Politico story about "The Ladies In Red" (thanks to SWTX Belle)

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/19332.html

It's a story about Delta Days in the Nation's Capital.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

This is sort of old, but it was promoting both health and a step show here in the DC urrea: Prince George's County Alumnae Chapter teaches Holly Morris how to step
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
This is sort of old, but it was promoting both health and a step show here in the DC urrea: Prince George's County Alumnae Chapter teaches Holly Morris how to step
Good stuff! Who won the show?
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ No clue! I didn't even know about the show! lol
Old 04-08-2009, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Ummm...Holly was tearin' it up! LOL Good for her. It was a pleasant surprise. PG County sets it owt! I saw them last year in Upper Marlboro. They were great.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Marcia Fudge was a part of the Congressional Black Caucus delegation that visited Cuba recently. In one photo it appeared that she was wearing a Delta shirt under her red track suit. You could see the top of what looked like a "Sigma" sticking out.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

White House Fellow J. Nadine Garcia

Haven't been here recently so please forgive if this has already been posted...

The White House recently selected its 2008-2009 Fellows and the only African-American woman named is a soror who references Delta in her bio. Awesome accomplishment!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/fellows/2008-2009/

J. Nadine Gracia. Hometown: Novato, California. Nadine Gracia is a pediatrician and violence prevention researcher. She was a general pediatrics research fellow at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and received a Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology from the University of Pennsylvania. Her research addresses community-level risk factors for violence and the evaluation of neighborhood interventions to reduce violence. She is an associate of the Philadelphia Collaborative Violence Prevention Center. She earned her medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She then completed pediatrics residency and served as Chief Pediatrics Resident at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. An advocate for minority and disadvantaged populations, she lectures nationwide on health disparities, diversity in education, and cultural competence. She is a National President Emeritus of the Student National Medical Association and a past Postgraduate Physician Trustee of the National Medical Association. She is a motivational speaker and career coach for thousands of students and physicians. She also conducts workshops throughout the country on leadership development, diplomacy, and strategic planning. She serves the community on issues of political awareness, health, and educational achievement through Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. Fluent in French and Haitian Creole, she earned a B.A. with honors in French at Stanford University.
Work Placement: Department of Health and Human Services
Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi ladies,

Sorry for crashing your forum, but I recently had such a cool experience with some members of Delta Sigma Theta in Portland, Oregon, and I wanted to share it with you. This is a long post, but bear with me!

I am working with a team of people studying projects around the country that focus on cleaning up contaminated land and developing new buildings that will emphasize environmental, economic, and social sustainability. One of the projects we're studying is Tabor Commons, in Oregon, which has been spearheaded, in part, by DSTs in the area.

We recently completed a part of the study that involved interviewing the key players in each of the projects. FWIW, I'm the only woman working on this project. When my colleagues saw that Tabor Commons was being spearheaded by a sorority, they laughed and were sort of dismissive. The clean-up and renovation of this site requires extraordinary commitment and dedication. Moreover, the plans involve going beyond simply cleaning up the site and entail creating a progressive building, probably to be used as a community center. I think most people on my team thought this work was way outside of the scope of what a sorority typically does.

When we had our follow-up meeting and had to report on the interviews we had completed, people were absolutely blown away by how pulled-together, ambitious, and all-around impressive the women of DST are. The main interviewer said "These women are determined to change the world for the better. I honestly believe they are going to do it."
Old 12-29-2009, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaDancer View Post
Hi ladies,

Sorry for crashing your forum, but I recently had such a cool experience with some members of Delta Sigma Theta in Portland, Oregon, and I wanted to share it with you. This is a long post, but bear with me!

I am working with a team of people studying projects around the country that focus on cleaning up contaminated land and developing new buildings that will emphasize environmental, economic, and social sustainability. One of the projects we're studying is Tabor Commons, in Oregon, which has been spearheaded, in part, by DSTs in the area.

We recently completed a part of the study that involved interviewing the key players in each of the projects. FWIW, I'm the only woman working on this project. When my colleagues saw that Tabor Commons was being spearheaded by a sorority, they laughed and were sort of dismissive. The clean-up and renovation of this site requires extraordinary commitment and dedication. Moreover, the plans involve going beyond simply cleaning up the site and entail creating a progressive building, probably to be used as a community center. I think most people on my team thought this work was way outside of the scope of what a sorority typically does.

When we had our follow-up meeting and had to report on the interviews we had completed, people were absolutely blown away by how pulled-together, ambitious, and all-around impressive the women of DST are. The main interviewer said "These women are determined to change the world for the better. I honestly believe they are going to do it."
*like*
Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaDancer View Post
Hi ladies,

*like*
*comment*
Thank you for the post.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 PM
E.O.S.

The Detroit Alumnae Chapter is doing their thing also. They just opened their new building this month. Check out the article.

http://detnews.com/article/20091212/...t-headquarters
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
this thread is awesome!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.O.S. View Post
The Detroit Alumnae Chapter is doing their thing also. They just opened their new building this month. Check out the article.

Good stuff! Okay CAC the ball's back in your court. LOL
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kommitted1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.O.S. View Post

OO-OOP Sorors of DAC!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:35 AM
E.O.S.

Past National President Soror Gwendolyn Boyd receives presidential nomination!!!

http://gazette.jhu.edu/2010/01/04/gw...tion-by-obama/