GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 989
0 members and 989 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the school. It is definitely ok, and even expected, for parents, grandparents, brothers & sisters to be present for Bid Day at Auburn and Alabama. But you don't do this at Georgia. I have no idea what Texas does. Maybe someone on here can help you with that.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

it really depends on the campus. it is the tradition at auburn and alabama. you might check with the ut greeklife office.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard from Stephanie earlier, but I was out to dinner. Her #1 tonight was Wednesday night's number 8 (of a possible 7 skit parties) which was moved up to #7 when she was released by one of her top 7 at the time. Her number 1 tonight was also one of her 2 favorites after the IWTs, but then somehow it didn't make her top 7 two days later.
Her number two tonight was her number 4 (out of 3 pref day choices) last night. It was moved up when one of her top three released her. It's amazing how starting over every day creates such opportunities.

Although she'd be happy with any of her top three, she believes that her number 1 is the place for her. I'm so proud of the reason she told me that she believes this is the one for her. Perhaps I can share that with you tomorrow after we hear. She also said that it is the one sorority that she believes has gotten to know her the most and which she has gotten to know the most. She said that there are so many girls in this particular sorority that she would love to have as her big sister that she's glad she doesn't have to choose.

I reminded her to keep an open mind about the other two sororities until she receives her bid. She said that she was, but couldn't help but be excited about this one.

She has promised to text me immediately after she receives her bid. I'll update as soon as I can.

Have a great night!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh how exciting! I hope things turn out well for her!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMOMMY View Post
Where are they holding Bid Day? When my daughter went through it was at the grassy ampitheatre place and Aubie showed up to pass out bids.
I was told by Emma that it would be at the rugby field right across from the TKE house.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Up early--can't sleep any more. About to get ready, then head over to Auburn. Yes, at rugby field although there's rain the area. Wondering if it will get moved into the new arena if it's raining. Good luck to everyone!!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

AzTheta,

I'm in West Michigan. I'd be happy to meet up with you any time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
AXOrushadvisor, thanks for saying this, and I bolded your statement because I've seen it happen. And it works both ways: a pledge class can run a chapter in the opposite direction.

TriDeltaSallie, you are amazing. I have no idea where you are geographically but if you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd love to take you to lunch.

Soapbox: There are No Bad Chapters. Period. Every GLO is amazing. I understand that we are talking about 18 year olds (mostly) for whom other peoples' opinions are paramount. But I know better. I for one am fed up with all this tier talk. Can I stop it? Probably not. But I think it is disrespectful, hurtful, and damaging on multiple levels. I have never met a GLO member, of any letters, NPC OR NPHC, that I wouldn't love to call my sister. Membership is for a lifetime, and the connections we all share are invaluable.

Whatever the outcome, I send best wishes to all the Auburn PNMs and their families. This thread has taught me a lot.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day

While we're waiting for bids to be handed out, I thought I'd share a few more things about this week that I didn't mention before.

The Pi Chi meeting
Cuts were heavy after round 2. They were so heavy that they had to call all of the Pi Chi's together for an early am meeting to give out the names of all the girls who were being completely released. Ouch! I feel for all those girls and for the Pi Chi's who had to give them the bad news.

The Revelation
Emma learned the affilation of her Pi Chi last night. They had a scavenger hunt and all the girls in her group followed the clues until they arrived at the location of the Reveal. There were a few other Pi Chi groups there as well. (The Pi Chi's were sorority sisters) Emma learned that her Pi Chi was a Blue Jay!

Bid Day
If you have a special PNM at Auburn you can order some special GLO items which can be delivered on Bid Day. Apparently, these stores will get the name of each girl and her new sorority either late at night or early in the am so that they can fulfill the orders and send out the deliveries. The two stores we know of are Tiger Surprise and Wrapsody. (I'd pay a lot of money to be one their employee's this morning!)
Old 08-14-2010, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Thinking of all the pnms and parents this morning!

As an FYI - Arkansas also includes parents, siblings, friends, etc in Bid Day festivities. It is like a mini homecoming on Bid Day.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know what quota is this year?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Didn't want to reveal it (except to the few who guessed it already ) before today, but I rushed at Auburn this year and am leaving in a few minutes to walk down to the rugby field and get my bid - it's been an exciting, crazy, emotional roller coaster of a week and I'd love to share my story and what this side was like, hopefully in the next few days, now that my life is less consumed by rush and eating/sleeping every other spare second.

Good luck to everyone, hope today is wonderful!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on your new sisterhood hotpink&pearls, enjoy bid day!!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'm told by an anonymous source that quota is 55 and some groups may get quota additions!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Looks like it may be raining in Auburn right now. I wonder if they will have to move indoors to hand out bids and if that will delay things?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

There is a link with the bidlist on the Auburn Panhellenic site - however it is not activated yet!