GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,203
0 members and 1,203 guests
No Members online

Old 08-06-2020, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Some campus Panhellenic offices told them to post to YouTube or other Similar sites so that it would be better video quality before uploading to their recruitment application. There are some interesting ones but most are very sweet. These ladies are making their lemonade!
Old 08-08-2020, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Our daughter started rush today at Iowa State. Currently watching videos of the 16 chapters and doesn’t talk to anyone today. At the end of the day she ranks her top 11. Round 2 she watches videos and then is put into a Zoom room with girls fro the chapter for a chat with up to 11 houses. After that they rank top 7 and do it again.

It sounded like the PNM’s have a lot more control until cuts for pref. As of now Pref is still in person as well as bid day on Thursday.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
Our daughter started rush today at Iowa State. Currently watching videos of the 16 chapters and doesn’t talk to anyone today. At the end of the day she ranks her top 11. Round 2 she watches videos and then is put into a Zoom room with girls fro the chapter for a chat with up to 11 houses. After that they rank top 7 and do it again.

It sounded like the PNM’s have a lot more control until cuts for pref. As of now Pref is still in person as well as bid day on Thursday.

Good luck to your daughter! Hope that all goes well for her.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Got back 11 for this round, lost one from her top 5. She has two parties today and 9 tomorrow. The two today she had ranked lower so good for her to get a feel for how the Zoom rush conversations will go. Still would have been nice to have more balance between today and tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Got back 11 for this round, lost one from her top 5. She has two parties today and 9 tomorrow. The two today she had ranked lower so good for her to get a feel for how the Zoom rush conversations will go. Still would have been nice to have more balance between today and tomorrow.
Good luck to your daughter! It sounds like the university and Panhellenic council are both taking precautions to keep everyone safe, yet still try to give them a rewarding recruitment experience. I'm sure the actives in the houses are still getting used to this format as well.

I love how they do bid day on Central Campus now. I really wish they would have done that when I went through 23 (!) years ago.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Wishing your daughter the best! How is she feeling about the virtual format?
Old 08-09-2020, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe bid day is today at Troy U in Alabama, hoping for the best!
Old 08-09-2020, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Wishing your daughter the best! How is she feeling about the virtual format?
She said it was alright for round 1 but didn’t like not getting to talk. Made it hard as she said all the videos started to look alike. Also, due to the late changes not all chapters had time to put much into the videos so she felt some were very limited on information about the house.

Had her first virtual conversation this morning and said it went well. She has another one later today and then 9 tomorrow. We heard they are keeping the parties small in anticipation of computer glitches since it’s an unknown adventure for all involved.

This is a lot less stressful than our older D’s rush experience at IU.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
I believe bid day is today at Troy U in Alabama, hoping for the best!
Troy’s bidday was yesterday! Looks like they did all of recruitment in person (with some color coordinated masks).
Old 08-10-2020, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

So daughter was in the middle of one of her virtual parties when the tornado sirens started going off and then they lost power. Several trees down all around campus and town, several sororities without power as well.

She had 9 virtual parties today so not sure what is happening now. Saw some pictures of trees down across power lines and one of the dorms on campus had a big picture window busted out due to the storm. This is certainly a strange rush experience so far but she seems to be taking it all in stride. Can't imagine what the chapters are going through now with this new curve ball thrown at them in the middle of rush.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh no all this and a tornado warning??? Consider the stories these PNMs and collegians will have to share in the future!
Old 08-10-2020, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope we can at least get a Wizard of Oz themed recruitment story!

"I was right in the middle of an amazing Zoom conversation with my absolute favorite chapter, LOLLIPOP GUILD, when all of a sudden everything just shut off!"
Old 08-10-2020, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ LOL...best wishes to your daugher, BBH!
Old 08-10-2020, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Still waiting on more information if the campus was hit by a tornado or just straight line winds but we know gust of 99 mph were reported. Most of the town of Ames was without power and they are reporting lots of old and big trees down all across campus and the city.

Some of the pictures on campus of the damage are pretty incredible when you see the size of these trees. Also saw some 18 wheelers blown over on the interstate. No idea when power will be restored as they are still assessing the damage.

Sounding like power in some parts could be a day or two to come back up. As of now, rush is on hold while they try to figure out things. Daughter I think was on her 2nd or 3rd party out of 9 today when this all hit. They were supposed to rank their top 7 tonight and then round 3 start tomorrow. Now not sure what is happening. Bid day was to be Thursday before Destination Iowa State started but with today's events, not sure how they will pull all of this off as most of town still is without power.

Not hearing of any injuries on campus but Interstate 35 is shut down in both directions and sounds more like widespread damage even down into Ankeney and Des Moines from this storm.

Last edited by BBH; 08-10-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Still waiting on more information if the campus was hit by a tornado or just straight line winds but we know gust of 99 mph were reported. Most of the town of Ames was without power and they are reporting lots of old and big trees down all across campus and the city.

Some of the pictures on campus of the damage are pretty incredible when you see the size of these trees. Also saw some 18 wheelers blown over on the interstate. No idea when power will be restored as they are still assessing the damage.

Sounding like power in some parts could be a day or two to come back up. As of now, rush is on hold while they try to figure out things. Daughter I think was on her 2nd or 3rd party out of 9 today when this all hit. They were supposed to rank their top 7 tonight and then round 3 start tomorrow. Now not sure what is happening. Bid day was to be Thursday before Destination Iowa State started but with today's events, not sure how they will pull all of this off as most of town still is without power.

Not hearing of any injuries on campus but Interstate 35 is shut down in both directions and sounds more like widespread damage even down into Ankeney and Des Moines from this storm.
It was a Derecho (high straight line winds). Horrible damage all throughout west, central, and eastern Iowa. My parents and sister are in north Ames and are guessing they'll be without power for at least 1-2 days. (ETA: they must have gotten power restored to their area late last night) Seeing all the old trees down around campus and Ames makes me so sad. Central campus is so beautiful, in large part because of the large trees and green space.

Hopefully there was no significant damage to any campus or chapter buildings and they can come up with an alternative to be able to finish out recruitment over the next few days. I'm glad your daughter seems to be taking everything in stride. What a strange year!!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 08-11-2020 at 07:08 AM.