GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,281
0 members and 1,281 guests
No Members online

Old 01-21-2007, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Don't ask if your GPA, age or class rank will hurt you in membership selection. That's an awkward question that puts your rusher on the spot. It is ok to ask about scholarship and membership requirements for GPA, however. It is also ok to ask about the general make-up of the chapter (approx. how much of the sorority is currently made up of sophomores, etc.).
For real. Plus, it kind of makes you come off like you're worried that you won't be able to make the grades to stay in. If you're doubting your grades and you're really concerned about that, that same doubt might just pass on to the member you're speaking with and make her less sure about inviting you back.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunatartare View Post
We had a girl come through one year who not only did this, but also told the other three sororities that she's a legacy to EFG through her sister and that it's "taken care of."
She should've been dropped for that! And it's so bad for her too...what if she in the end decides she wants to join another chapter after all? They won't want her.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

No one could drop her. At my school we weren't allowed to cut anyone before pref.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I really can't say how wonderful all you girls are for taking time to give your input and experience in this thread.

This is absolutely a great way to learn more about rushing. I'm already nervous about formal fall rush all of the posts in this thread really calmed me!

I do have a question, since this really wasn't a topic I saw discussed already, about some of your past rushing experiences:

Last year I had a few run-ins and I'm wondering what your personal take would be. First off I had some words with a member of panhallenic regarding my grades. I felt like I was being discrimnated slightly and I let her know. Everything seems fine now and that particular member seems fine towards me. To top that off after paying my Rush fee, rsvp'ng etc.. at the last my minute the job I had at the time refused to let me leave. I let my boss know way in advance and he decided to just not fufill my request at literally the last minute (literally!). I had no way to reach my Gamma Chi and she ended up contacting me after check-in. I let her know what happened and how horrible I felt etc..

So, if I am rushing at your school after, all of that ^^^, would you look past it after meeting me? Or would it already have a large impact on your impression? I'm just wondering how to handle it when I get there in August (I'm a planner...and a rambler....).
Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceIsSinking View Post
Last year I had a few run-ins and I'm wondering what your personal take would be. First off I had some words with a member of panhallenic regarding my grades. I felt like I was being discrimnated slightly and I let her know.
You had a run-in about grades??? Why do you say you were discriminated against? Yes, sororities do look at your grades, and if you don't make the minimum they can't take you, and if there's another girl with higher grades, they may take her over you. So i'm a bit confused about this....
Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If the person you had the run-in with at panhellenic was a personal friend of mine or a sorority sister, then I'd want to hear about it. I can't figure out why they would know about your grades or how you'd be being discriminated against. Without knowing more, I can't say, but if you were a jerk to someone I liked, then I might not want you as a sister.

I may be misunderstanding the situation.

But even so, where I went to school, a lot of people would be unlikely to even know this occurred, unless it happened in front of a lot of people. If the woman you had the run-in with isn't talking about, it wouldn't be a problem.

If your Gamma Chi hasn't told you that there was a problem, then I guess you're okay there. If you'd broken a rule, I think you'd know by now, and in my opinion, as long as you were really nice to her and she doesn't have to penalize you, she won't. But of course, I don't know.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
You had a run-in about grades??? Why do you say you were discriminated against? Yes, sororities do look at your grades, and if you don't make the minimum they can't take you, and if there's another girl with higher grades, they may take her over you. So i'm a bit confused about this....
Yeah, if you could please explain a little better...how did she know your grades? Why did you two have a "run-in" about them?

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Well here's the deal with the grades:

I was forced to leave high school because of my horrible health at the time. When my health stablized, I got my GED. I scored waaaaaaay above average scores (aka kicked serious butt). I also took the ACTS and got really high scores in everything but math (I had a terrible math score, but hey you kinda forget that stuff after 3 years!). I had a 34 in reading Anyway, the girl was trying to tell me that they had to have my hs transcript and that the test scores just weren't good enough. I told her I didn't have access to it because my HS is 1400 miles away, and will take quite some time for them to process a transcript of a student that didn't even graduate from there. She pretty much acted like I shouldn't have even bothered trying then b/c of something out of my control; even after I exlained why I have a GED vs. a HS diploma etc.

I was never rude to her, I never threatened her... I was just "professional" about it. If schools like LSU, LATech, NSU were able to look over the previously stated academic information to accept me as a student, why was I being treated that way (i never said that, but that's how i felt)? But since then she has written me a few emails, even congratulated me on my wedding, that's why I kinda assumed she's alright with me.

Oh and my Gamma Chi seemed understanding. I apologized tons of times during that conversation because I felt so horrible, haha.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well here's the deal with the grades:

I was forced to leave high school because of my horrible health at the time. When my health stablized, I got my GED. I scored waaaaaaay above average scores (aka kicked serious butt). I also took the ACTS and got really high scores in everything but math (I had a terrible math score, but hey you kinda forget that stuff after 3 years!). I had a 34 in reading Anyway, the girl was trying to tell me that they had to have my hs transcript and that the test scores just weren't good enough. I told her I didn't have access to it because my HS is 1400 miles away, and will take quite some time for them to process a transcript of a student that didn't even graduate from there. She pretty much acted like I shouldn't have even bothered trying then b/c of something out of my control; even after I exlained why I have a GED vs. a HS diploma etc.

I was never rude to her, I never threatened her... I was just "professional" about it. If schools like LSU, LATech, NSU were able to look over the previously stated academic information to accept me as a student, why was I being treated that way (i never said that, but that's how i felt)? But since then she has written me a few emails, even congratulated me on my wedding, that's why I kinda assumed she's alright with me.
It seems like things are ok with you and panhel girl and I can't imagine the Gamma Chi thing really working against you, especially since it was before recruitment even started.

It's important to note that just because the schools decided to accept you after looking over your information does not mean that sororities will offer you the same consideration based on your extenuating circumstances. It's a whole different ballgame. However, if you got it all figured out with panhel and they let you go through recruitment then it's all good and you might as well try again. It sounds like the panhel member seems like she's on decent terms with you if she sent you a congratulatory email after your wedding, so there's no sense in worrying about it.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly didn't really know what to expect. I had never known anyone in a sorority, I've never had exposure to them etc. Being around a lot of the girls in my glasses has given me some idea, but you never really know until you go through it yourself!

Thanks for the insight AchiO! Once I re-read, I realized it really isn't a big of a deal as it sounds in my head. ha. Silly perfectionist me
Old 01-24-2007, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea what will happen; I can't tell the future. When you go through rush and you join a great group, feel free to come back and tell me what a jerk I am.

But here's the deal as I see it: you may feel that you made the best decision that you could to drop out and get a GED, but it's not the typical decision for most girls who rush.

My guess, although I can't know for sure, is that it's going to hurt you unless, by now, you have a college GPA that you can use and it's good.

The information that the group is seeking is more than are you smart enough to get through college; they want to know what kind of student are you overall. (The colleges that admitted you, while selective, aren't probably as selective as the groups you want to join.) Are you hard working? Are you responsible? Are you going to make good grades in college? Will you represent the group well academically?

Your not having a transcript and being reluctant to call up your high school (no matter how far away) and request that they fax or mail you one, makes you look a little weird. (BTW, almost all high schools and districts will maintain records on all students maybe forever. Even when they send them away from your school because they don't store them there forever, they keep them someplace. With a couple of phone calls, you could find out where and get a copy.)

The fact that you've been out of school for three years (I'm going by your saying that you haven't had math in three years) but that you are just getting around to completing school is also going to seem a little weird. (If you were only a sophomore or something when you got sick, why wouldn't have you gone back to finish?)

I'm not trying to get into your business. You made the decision you wanted/had to make. But in general being a high school drop out is going to hurt you during rush and having an attitude about getting your transcript isn't likely to get people helping you to figure out how best to handle your situation and put it in the best light.

It may go better than I think. I may assume that the interaction about the grades was worse than it was; I as said, I have no idea what will happen. I hope it goes well. I'd like to think that having bad health when you were in high school wasn't still causing problems for you years later. Once you meet the groups, you'll have a much better idea, and they can see the person you are now. Good luck!

Last edited by UGAalum94; 01-24-2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: proofreading and added final paragraph
Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Venice, you definitely are a "non-traditional" student in every sense of the word. You indicated that you go to school in LA, and the schools to which you applied are rather traditional (especially LSU) in terms of Greek life.

Because you are married, an upperclasswoman, and you didn't have the "traditional" HS experience, you'll probably have a more difficult time being placed than a freshman with a decent GPA and HS diploma.

If I can be perfectly frank, the more I read about you in your posts, the more I wanted to point out that the disagreement with the panhel girl and the work-recruitment mixup won't probably be the biggest deal -- but your being married/upperclass/no HS diploma might be a big deal to some organizations. I'm honestly not trying to be mean or rude, but I know you wanted to be totally prepared. And who knows... my good girlfriend goes to LSU and gave me some input on what it's like there...but if you go to a different school the Greek system might be completely different. Either way, there's absolutely no harm in trying as long as you're prepared for any obstacles you may face given your status.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I left HS in 2003, that summer I got my GED and that fall I went to college for half a semester. I had to leave that as well beacuse my mother was diagnosed with an incurable heart disease and it was my responsibility as her only child and only family to take care of her. So I spent 3 years doing that until she became stablized. I have medical documentation for all of that ^. The minute I could break free, I did.. then I moved and started at my school this fall.

btw, regarding the HS transcript. I did try to obtain one, but it was my HS that said it would be several weeks until I would get it. Simply because of their clerical organization. It would have been too late for Rush, so that's why I couldn't get it.

I am a freshman at my school, I'm 20 and yes, I am married (with no kids). I have already accumlated an excellent GPA (3.57), I ran for fresh. president and am currently being trained to become a mentor for local high school students. I never thought being married would effect rush....

Last edited by VeniceIsSinking; 01-24-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, all you can do is try, right? I hope it goes well for you.
It appears that you've done everything you can do to make yourself a strong candidate as far as grades and involvement.

If it turns out that the groups are looking only for 18 year old recent high school graduates, then try not to take it personally. You know that you've spent your time in a worthwhile way and that you've made the most of a tough situation.

I think most people value a happy marriage and family better than they do their GLOs, so if one "cost" you the other, you got the better end of the deal.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am a freshman at my school, I'm 20 and yes, I am married. I have already accumlated an excellent GPA (3.57), I ran for fresh. president and am currently being trained to become a mentor for local high school students. I never thought being married would effect rush....

You sound like you've compiled a fantastic "resume" of experiences since you've started college. That's a really, really strong GPA and the fact that you volunteer and are involved in campus leadership activities are very, very beneficial attributes in terms of recruitment.

The married thing though...yes, it most definitely could affect your recruitment (unless there is a LARGE number of married/nontrad. students at your school.) There have been several threads on bidding married women before and it varies from school to school. The general idea seems that the more traditional the school (or the more competitive the recruitment) the more difficult it is for a married woman to receive a bid. The reasons for this vary. However, the same concern keeps popping up: "How could a married woman find time for 15-20 hours a week for a new member program on top of her classes when she has a husband?"

If you and your husband have discussed recruitment and he's fully supportive of you going through and understands the time committment then more power to you. You should absolutely go through recruitment in the fall. I'm just saying that being married can -- and has -- affected PNM's recruitments before.

Last edited by AChiOhSnap; 01-24-2007 at 11:16 PM.