GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,472
1 members and 1,471 guests
Xidelt

Old 04-14-2004, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I've lost ten lbs!!! I've been baking all of my foods and eating tons of veggies. I've also been working out, but not enough. I'm working on that.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to INS2U
Congrats to you Delph998!!! Unfortunately I'm still stuck at the same 6 pound loss, but, at least I haven't gained.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by norcalchick
i HATE the atkins diet even though I'm on it. the diet sucks. but i've lost a couple of pounds in the first week already. my bf and i are have sweet tooths and are going crazy. and i love potatos and all of that. so w3e bought some atkins food online last week and had it overnight shipped. we bought bun mix, and cookies, and cake, and cheesecake, hoping that would help us out a lil bit. no, it didn't. IT SUCKED!!!! it tasted nasty that we're sending it back. the only thing that was good was the caramel and peanut chocolate bars. they're kinda like snickers. and the caramel chews and toffee bits. but that's about it. so this is gonna be a hard 3 months
I'm not an Atkins expert, but I think I read somewhere on here that those mixes are not appropriate for Phase 1 of the diet and that's where it sounds like you are.

BTW...congrats Delph! Looks like 3rd time's the charm for you!!

My update: I've lost a total of 23 lbs on the SouthBeach! My goal was 30 lbs in 12 weeks, and I don't think I am going to lose 7 lbs between now and Friday, but I'm pretty sure that's enough to win my at work challenge. Woo Who!!! That $300.00 coming to me!! Guess who's going SHOPPING!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for you Eclipse! How different is the South Beach Diet from the Atkins diet?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by INS2U
Good for you Eclipse! How different is the South Beach Diet from the Atkins diet?
South Beach is less extreme than Atkins. Still reduced carbs though.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Here's a post I did on another thread in, I think, chit chat:

South Beach does not advertise it self as a low carb diet. You are never expected to count carbs. There is the strict, 1st phase that limits carbs, but you still can have unlimited amounts of most veggies (which have carbs, BTW). This is different from Atkins, which is truly low carb and limits carbs to a certain amount a day. SB has a "good food"/bad food list. You can eat what ever you want (as much as you want until you get full from the good food list. You do cut out breads, pasta, potatoes and fruit the first phase however. you are expected to eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. After the first 2 weeks you can add these things back if they are high in fiber or higher on the glycemic level. For instance, apples are fine, but apple juice is not. Sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes. Whole grain breads and pastas (in limited amounts) vs. white bread and regular pasta.

Even at it's strictest phase I did not get headaches or the bad breathe that I have read some people get with Atkins.

I've been on the diet for about 10 weeks and have lost about 22 lbs. This includes a week where I really bombed out and gained back 3 lbs! My weight lost at the beginning was really fast, but has slowed down considerably, which is fine with me. My current diet is probably closer to their maintainance plan than their 2nd weight lost plan, but that is o.k. with me. I set once a month splurge days (I eat what ever I want on these days) and don't beat my self up if I slip. When I do I just go back to where I was the previous day. I don't try to "start over."

I found that I lost a lot of cravings that I used to have (chips, potatoes, french fries, cookies) and am approaching a true lifestyle change. I haven't been exercising as much as I should, but there are quite a few things that are going on with me that are preventing that.

I really encourage you to get the book (or borrow it from someone. Someone has mine now!) and read the philosophy behind it and the good food bad food lists. There are also sample menus and recipes in the book that I havee found helpful.

What sold me on SB was a spread done in Prevention Magazine and a comparison of South Beach, Atkins and the Zone on one of the news mags on TV. The consensus of their experts was that SB was the healthiest and easiest to follow.

Good luck. BTW, do a search on South Beach. Several people (including me) have posted their experiences.

ETA again: The SB diet also emphasizes "good" fat vs. bad fat. Unlike the Atkins, SB does not advocate eating bacon for breakfast every morning. In addition, fatty cuts of meat like chicken wings are no-nos. I laughed when I saw a resturant advertising buffalo chicken wings as low carb. Well of course they are! That's like companies who advertise jelly beans as no fat! But they are full of sugar.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

What scared me away from hard core Atkins was the stories I've heard from numerous people about the unpleasant side effects. But b/c it's so popular, I find it's increasingly easier to find reduced carb foods.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse
[B]I found that I lost a lot of cravings that I used to have (chips, potatoes, french fries, cookies) and am approaching a true lifestyle change. I haven't been exercising as much as I should, but there are quite a few things that are going on with me that are preventing that.[B]
I know exactly what you mean. I had a big sweet tooth, but, now with Atkins I don't anymore. I never believed I could ever resist ice cream and pastries, but, I have...for 6 WEEKS! I am so happy with my progress. Like you, I haven't exercised as much as I should, but, the diet has done so much for me. I can finally fit in clothes that I could wear before but didn't feel comfortable in because my tummy was sticking out or something else. I'm feeling good in my clothes again...Thank God!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. I had a big sweet tooth, but, now with Atkins I don't anymore.
Same here. I used to have quite a sweet tooth, but after several years of seldom eating real sugar, it's gone. I was at a birthday party last night and decided to be a bad girl and have a slice of cake... I took one bite and it was sooo sweet that I just couldn't eat any more!

I think I may have to look into South Beach, though. I miss some of the carbs that seem like they would be allowed on SB. Thanks for that post, Eclipse.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse
I was at TJMAxx the other day and could not resist this cute linen outfit that is a size too small. I guess now I really have to work it out so I can get into it by summer!!

Yeah Me!! I've lost about 27 lbs since starting the SouthBeach diet. Pants to above outfit are TOO BIG!! Since I have major boobage the top still fits, big dang, can't a sista get more than 1 wearing out of an outfit! LOL

I am proud to say I no longer have to shop in the BigGirl stores/sections! But why was I in the mall the other day and saw something really cute and really cheap in my OLD size? Of course it was not cute enough for me to go back there, but still!!

I tried on about 3 "old" outfits yesterday and I am almost where I want to be. Now I really need to concentrate on toning up! I have about 10 - 15 more lbs to loose then I am SET!

Now if I could just figure out how to get hips....I am the only black girl I know with no hips or thighs **sigh**