Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,301
5 members and 1,296 guests
Cookiez17, John, southernbuff

Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know, or has anyone even heard, anything about schools to which the Fraternity will be expanding in the 2010 - 2011 academic year ... either recolonizations of presently dormant chapters, or colonizations of schools at which we have never yet had a chapter. I have not read a word all summer on this forum, twitter, facebook, the Fraternity Website, or elsewhere. So I'm curious if anyone has any solid information or even has heard any rumours.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Four months have passed since I last posted here, and although there have been numerous hits on the thread, not one new posting in that time. So those who have been accessing the thread either have no information to contribute, or have some information they could contribute but are not inclined to post it. That being the case, I will respond with the information that I have, most of which I have simply gleaned from the lists of active chapters and colonies on the Fraternity website (unfortunately, unlike most other fraternities, Kappa Sigma does not publish news releases or other announcements of new colonizations, chartering or rechartering of colonies, and colony or chapter closures; instead colonies simply appear on or disappear from, and chartered or rechartered colonies have their status changed to chapters on, the lists of active colonies and chapters on the Website; so unless one is following those lists closely, one would not know what new colonies have been established, what colonies have been chartered or rechartered, and what colonies or chapters have been closed). In any case, so far this academic year:

1. the former Epsilon-Rho and Delta-Chi colonies at Kent State and Mississippi State Universities, respectively, have been rechartered;

2. the former colonies at Belmont Abbey College, Central Washington University, the University of Texas at Tyler, and Eastern Kentucky University have been chartered as Rho-Lambda, Rho-Mu, Rho-Nu, and Rho-Xi Chapters, respectively, following the most recent prior charterings of SUNY Cortland and Cal State Monterey Bay as Rho-Iota and Rho-Kappa Chapters late in the 2001-2010 academic year;

3. new colonies have been established at the University of Southern Indiana, Indiana University Southeast, the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, and the Midland, Michigan campus of Northwood University (which also has a campus in Florida and another in Texas) ... not an especially distinguished list of schools, but four new campuses nonetheless;

4. the fraternity also showed a new colony at East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania for about ten days, two weeks max, before it disappeared from the lists ... perhaps the briefest colony in the history of the Fraternity, perhaps nevera ctually a colony at all;

5. Xi-Zeta Chapter at Northwest Missouri State University and historic Eta Prime Chapter at Duke University have been recolonized, although the latter lacks formal recognition by the Duke administration;

6. Lambda-Epsilon and Beta Chapters at the University of Central Florida and the University of Alabama's main campus at Tuscaloosa were closed for Risk Management violations, but quickly recolonized ... or downgraded to colonies; the same may be true of Kappa-Rho at Boise State University (can anyone confirm);

7. colonies at Ball State, Illinois State, SUNY Oneonta (Risk Management violations), and Limestone College were closed, the latter because of disinterest at a school with no Greek life other than the colony (like many of the Fraternity's failed colonies over the past four or five years, Limestone should never have been colonized in the first place, as its chances of succeeding were almost zero from the outset); presumably, the Ball State and Illinois State colonies also failed to generate sufficient interest/membership to continue on their respective campuses, which is unfortunate because those are two schools at which Kappa Sigma SHOULD have chapters (should have had them decades ago).

8. Rho-Zeta Chapter at Florida Gulf Coast University was awarded formal recognition by the school, and thus no longer is shown on the Website as being located at Fort Myers, Florida rather than at FGCU;

9. the present colony at the University of California at Merced has been approved by the SEC for chartering in the New Year; one or two or more other colonies may also be so-approved, and I have just not heard of it (confirmations anyone).

If anyone has any corroborating or additional news, please post. Lots of people do access it in the hope of picking up news, since the Fraternity itself is so parsimonious about providing any.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Thank you Stufield.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome. Unfortunately, this seems to be pretty much a one-person thread.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey, first post, and I probably won't check up much, but at UC Davis, Beta-Phi is coming back. =]. We had a few rough patches, but we've grown 200% in the last month and a half or so. Looking for a June chartering.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting, and for the good news. I, for one, had been wondering about the progress, or lack thereof, of the UC Davis colony. I'm glad to read that the colony now seems to be prospering, and that the rechartering of Beta-Phi Chapter is now in the foreseeable future.

Would like to read similar reports from other colonies.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

The problem was that we were so close, (45 members or so), but with spring graduation and 99% of the colony being Seniors, graduation managed to set us back back to square one.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Sig is being re-colonized at Clemson.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clemson1 View Post
Kappa Sig is being re-colonized at Clemson.
Fantastic news. Do you know when?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufield View Post
Fantastic news. Do you know when?
Kappa-Upsilon at Clemson University was officially Installed April 30th 2011 (I was part of the Installation team)... as well as the Alpha-Upsilon at Millsaps College; Gamma-Nu at Washburn University; Rho-Rho at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College; and Rho-Sigma Chapter at St. John’s University: Staten Island.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that the Epsilon Nu chapter at the University of Southern Mississippi is in the process of being re-colonized. I'll be honest, I'm not certain what the process will be since the national guys aren't supposed to be on campus this week. (I'm wanting to join the Interest Group they're going to start and have only talked to the national guys via phone.)

Anyways, here's a link to the article in the USM newspaper: http://www.studentprintz.com/sigep-a...1#.Tm0wdNSshBk
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting the informative article.

The Kappa Sigma recolonization begins today!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufield View Post
Thanks for posting the informative article.

The Kappa Sigma recolonization begins today!
Yeah, we have Garrett Atherton down here from nationals and he definitely knows his stuff. So far I know we have about 15 guys interested and we haven't even started any of our IFC recruitment stuff yet. So far it's just been some of us that Garrett has just met, or found out beforehand somehow. I'm definitely looking forward to this though.... 30 for a colony and 60 for a chapter, plus the "checklist" that I haven't seen yet.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

We're looking into starting somethings up here at Johns Hopkins. We're meeting an alumni tomorrow actually.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey, we have Old Dominion University colony checking in!!!