GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,406
0 members and 1,406 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
When seniors graduate early, people drop out of school, deactivate, that is a COB bid or informal recruitment scenario.
Could you clarify this for me (and probably others): because COB is an "option" does not necessarily mean that a chapter will conduct it, correct?

More specifically, if campus total is "130" but all chapters have 200+ members (give or take a few), and there are resignations/deactivations/seniors graduating mid-year, would a given chapter participate/have the option of COB?

looking forward to the answer, this is puzzling to me and I haven't researched it deeply.

an aside regarding something I've been thinking about:Another reason that cuts may be so painful and surprising for the PNMs is that we (as humans) would prefer to be the "rejectors" rather than the "rejectees" and for most young people, rejection isn't something they've experienced to this extent and this degree.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
an aside regarding something I've been thinking about:Another reason that cuts may be so painful and surprising for the PNMs is that we (as humans) would prefer to be the "rejectors" rather than the "rejectees" and for most young people, rejection isn't something they've experienced to this extent and this degree.
We were having the same thought, AzTheta! I suspect that many of these women have faced very few failures or rejections in life. They are smart, involved, interesting women who generally experience success when they work hard and put their mind to it. They have generally been able to pick and choose what they want, when they want. Dealing with being dropped for something this big is a new experience for many of them and it makes it that much harder if they haven't already learned how to process and grow from an experience like this.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

I really hate that we even talk about COR on this site. It gives way too much false hopes to pnms who have had disappointing recruitments.

Do not drop out of recruitment based on an expectation that the chapters you loved who dropped you will have COR opportunities!

At a competitive campus, the "desirable" chapters are over total. Usually that means considerably over total. So unless eleventy bajillion new members quit before initiating or graduate mid-term, there will not be any COR for those chapters. The chapters doing COR are most likely going to be the same ones the pnm has left on her party schedule during formal recruitment. You know, the chapters she doesn't want right now.

Once in a while, a pnm can get lucky with COR on a campus like this, but it should never ever be counted on as a back door into a sorority that dropped you during formal.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^^Absolutely!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Could you clarify this for me (and probably others): because COB is an "option" does not necessarily mean that a chapter will conduct it, correct?

More specifically, if campus total is "130" but all chapters have 200+ members (give or take a few), and there are resignations/deactivations/seniors graduating mid-year, would a given chapter participate/have the option of COB?

looking forward to the answer, this is puzzling to me and I haven't researched it deeply.

Hi AZTheta. If total is 130, but you have 200+ girls in the Chapter you would have to wait until you loose members and you hit 129 before you could COB or offer a bid to someone to get you back up to 130. So if under this scenario you lost 20 seniors in the spring to early graduation you would still be over total and unable to pick up any new members. The ONLY exception to this rule is during formal recruitment. Say you are at 200 and total is 130 and quota is 50, but you only pick up 30 during formal recruitment. You could snap bid 20 more PNM's and they other poster was correct that no one usually knows they were snap bid OR you could COB after recruitment those 20 NM's and they would come into your pledge class a week or two later.

Last edited by AXOrushadvisor; 08-13-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnmom09 View Post
And as far as "now not being the time to think about COB" it would be possible for a girl to have been dropped very early by a sorority that she might like better than the one she gets a bid from "IF" she gets a bid. And it is my understanding that "AT AUBURN" if a girl accepts a bid from a sorority she really doesn't like she can't go through COB if she drops out of that sorority later. But if tomorrow she gets a bid she doesn't like and doesn't accept it she is allowed to be picked up by COB "if" a sorority she likes happens to participate in COB but she is not required to go back to them if she isn't interested.

So PNM's should understand how COB works "AT AUBURN" before decision making time tomorrow. Hopefully they will get correct information from their Pi Chi's and not have to rely on the opinions expressed here. Good luck and War Eagle!
COR/COB is an NPC regulated process and is not an "at Auburn" thing. It works the same way everywhere. At Auburn and any other school, if you sign a bid card at the end of formal recruitment and are offered a bid to any of those chapters listed on your bid card, you are bound to the chapter who gave you a bid FOR ONE FULL YEAR, no matter whether you "liked" or "didn't like" the bid. THERE IS NO COB/COR FOR A PNM WHO HAS RECEIVED A BID DURING FORMAL RECRUITMENT FOR ONE FULL YEAR!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I am looking forward to some updates!!! Hopefully everyone got invited to pref parties today!!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Snap bids happen during formal recruitment. It is an option available to chapters not filling quota by bidmatching during Formal Recruitment. If the sorority gets their bid list and they are not at quota/total, they can offer snap bids to women who were registered for formal recruitment and dropped out or did not receive a bid. Often these snap bids are offered so quickly that the newly bidded women arrive with the other new members to bid day activities and others don't know who received a bid via the pref card and who received a snap bid. A PNM is not eligible for snap bids if she has suicided or otherwise minimized her options during recruitment.

I suspect it may be rare at Auburn for snap bids to be offered, unless a chapter misjudged their return rate for parties, and under-invited for pref--which can sometimes happen, even in chapters that are always at quota/total. AGAIN, this is a small number....

When seniors graduate early, people drop out of school, deactivate, that is a COB bid or informal recruitment scenario.

Edited to add: BUT AT COMPETITIVE CAMPUSES, chapters are so far above total that losing a few seniors does not typically result in COB.
OK, I get that snap bids can go to PNMs who were cut by all houses before pref or who didn't get bids after pref, but can a girl who minimized her options by dropping out voluntarily before pref get a snap bid?
We didn't do snap bids at my school back in the day, but we did have the option, when filling out our preference sheets, in going on the "open bid" list for each sorority. This meant you were willing to accept a bid from any group on campus even if you had not gone to their pref party, which sort of amounts to the same thing, I guess. Also, in principle, I guess you could receive bids from more than one group. I only know one girl, who had to miss some parties due to a family emergency, who did this, but I don't know how many bids she got.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks to everyone for the clarifications and explanations. I Get It Now.

No more talk about COB/COR from this corner, now that my questions are answered. Finished.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-13-2010, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi there all- I received a quick note from Suzie's mom this AM and she is quite EXCITED!! She was invited back to her top three houses! They are :

1. 49ers
2. Saints
2. Panthers

her atititude has been great, but she does admit to love the 49ers ( I'm sure it's due to Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Steve Young etc) but knows she would be happy in any of the three houses.

I hope Emma , Cassie and Stephanie have good news today as well!

GPhiB
Old 08-13-2010, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSK81 View Post
OK, I get that snap bids can go to PNMs who were cut by all houses before pref or who didn't get bids after pref, but can a girl who minimized her options by dropping out voluntarily before pref get a snap bid?
We didn't do snap bids at my school back in the day, but we did have the option, when filling out our preference sheets, in going on the "open bid" list for each sorority. This meant you were willing to accept a bid from any group on campus even if you had not gone to their pref party, which sort of amounts to the same thing, I guess. Also, in principle, I guess you could receive bids from more than one group. I only know one girl, who had to miss some parties due to a family emergency, who did this, but I don't know how many bids she got.
I think that might depend on the campus. Back in the day before RFM's we did a little of the snap bid process. IMO, it works best when a girl is cross cut meaning she doesn't match with any of her pref chapters. The problem we have had in later years is people who suicide and don't hit high enough on the bid list. It is obvious they only want to be an ABC, but ABC is usually full and may or may not be participating in spring recruitment. Ugh, I HATE this part about recruitment, but I do believe that they have tried to ease some of it with quota additions, but the problem is again, at least on our campus, if you suicide you are not eligible for quota additions. I guess that is how they try to discourage it?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Heard from my fav Auburn PNM--she's going to three. Her favorite all week is in her list and then two she's unsure about but keeping options open. Excited to see her at Bid Day tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryGPhiB View Post
Hi there all- I received a quick note from Suzie's mom this AM and she is quite EXCITED!! She was invited back to her top three houses! They are :

1. 49ers
2. Saints
2. Panthers

her atititude has been great, but she does admit to love the 49ers ( I'm sure it's due to Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Steve Young etc) but knows she would be happy in any of the three houses.

I hope Emma , Cassie and Stephanie have good news today as well!
Oh Yay! Finally an update (and finally a little relief from that SRA )! I'm glad she got invited back to her top 3, and I hope she has a great day at Preference!

Can't wait to hear about the other ladies, I hope there's good news from them as well.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I just heard from Stephanie. She received three invitations. She was invited to 2 of her top 3 and her number 4. The one that did not invite her back had been her top all week until yesterday...when her number 8 became her number 1. This morning's update from her came by text, so I don't know if she was disappointed to be released by that one or not. If I could hear her voice, I could tell.

Who knows what will happen today. The way things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if her number 4 becomes her number 1.

I'll update tonight.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I tried to post this earlier, but I don't think it worked, so it may be a repeat.

Rush for Cassie is over. The two groups she liked released her. The other group which she definitely feels is wrong for her invited her, but she will not attend unless required to do so.

She is still interested in COB, but we both know that that may not work out for her.

I am probably more upset than she is at this point. I really don't care if she doesn't pledge, but my heart aches for her disappointment. She feels insulted, rejected, and embarrassed right now.

I know lots of wonderful girls are released during the process, but the fact remains that about 800 or more girls somehow measured up, and she was found lacking.

She will get past this and I know things will probably work out in the end.

Best of luck to Suzie, Emma, and Stephanie. Thanks to all of you who have been supportive.