Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 896
3 members and 893 guests
Cookiez17, Happy Alum

Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting hijack! Our parish gives the Eucharist by intinction - the wafer is dipped in the wine and then placed on the tongue (my boys wield a mean paten). So those receiving usually kneel (!) with their hands held together in the traditional prayer position and open their mouths as the priest/deacon approaches. I always go up for a blessing - can't have too many blessings - as I have to get an annulment before I can be a 100 percenter. While I have finished most of my paperwork, current husband hasn't even begun on his, so I'm in an earthly limbo of sorts.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:07 PM

While traveling abroad, I once went to a Mass at a parish where the Eucharist was offered by intinction. You went up to the altar rail and knelt, and from there you had two choices. If you extended your hands, the priest said "The body of Christ", you answered "Amen", and the priest put the wafer in your hand. If you held your hands in the prayer position, the priest said "The body and blood of Christ", you answered "Amen" and opened your mouth, and the priest dipped the wafer in wine and placed it on your tongue. I had never seen this practice before, and after Mass I got an explanation out of my father.

So now that we've completely derailed this thread... LOL
Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
While traveling abroad, I once went to a Mass at a parish where the Eucharist was offered by intinction. You went up to the altar rail and knelt, and from there you had two choices. If you extended your hands, the priest said "The body of Christ", you answered "Amen", and the priest put the wafer in your hand. If you held your hands in the prayer position, the priest said "The body and blood of Christ", you answered "Amen" and opened your mouth, and the priest dipped the wafer in wine and placed it on your tongue. I had never seen this practice before, and after Mass I got an explanation out of my father.

So now that we've completely derailed this thread... LOL
My church does Intinction. I like it that way.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

This Communion talk is very interesting to me! I wasn't baptized and I've only been to a church for weddings or funerals. Obviously, Christianity isn't very important to my parents (take my black card away!); as a result they had no beef with my converting to Judaism (which is on hold now).
Old 11-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
This Communion talk is very interesting to me! I wasn't baptized and I've only been to a church for weddings or funerals. Obviously, Christianity isn't very important to my parents (take my black card away!); as a result they had no beef with my converting to Judaism (which is on hold now).
Given the history of Christianity in the African Diaspora; the history of Judaism in the African Diaspora; and my Black Jew nuclear family dynamics, you get to keep your Black Card.

Jesus-be-a-fence regardless of whether some believe he is the Son of God or simply a good man.

Last edited by DrPhil; 11-23-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

All this Communion talk is super interesting and confusing and makes me kinda glad I'm an atheist who was never baptized and thus can't take any communion anywhere ever, even if I wanted to (I don't).

But as a child I went to my BFF's Catholic church with her after sleepovers all the time, until about age 8 when it got too embarrassing to be one of the only people sitting in the pew with the "babies" when everyone else (including BFF) got up to take communion. Oh well, I was pretty bored there anyway, mostly just wanted the donuts they served after.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

We went to a string of weddings a few years ago - 11 in 4 months!! They ranged from very elegant church/country club affairs to modest backyard events. Each was special and I can appreciate couples trying to stay within their budget.

HOWEVER, one of the weddings we attended was a backyard event in August in inland southern California, the bride was five months pregnant. As we walked up to the house, the groom and his party were drinking beer from the front yard keg. After the ceremony the toasting begins and the bride makes a huge announcement that they are having a boy and gave his name. By then, the DJ had set up and the bride straps on a huge apron and announces the money dance and that she expects her apron to be filled with nothing but $20's. The music starts and everyone just stares at her. Finally, her new father-in-law goes and pays for a dance and then her dad, then her new brother-in-law - that was it. Talk about crass!.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

BUMP - wedding season is coming . . .
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I remember attending my uncle's (now ex) wife's sister's wedding back at age 8. I woke up with a cold that day. I was not enjoying the wedding. I remember thinking "if they ever divorce, after I have come to their wedding with a cold, I will never forgive them".

Sadly, they divorced.

Funniest one is at a wedding I attended when I was 13. This time it was my mother's cousin. When they announced the couple's first dance, some random couple I had never met (must have been related to the groom) entered the dance floor and began dancing- taking the attention away from the bride and groom.

Bride and groom are still together.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My neighbor's son got married a few years ago and it was a "Charles Dickens" themed wedding. What does that mean? Well, in this case, it meant the best man was dressed as a chimney sweep.

I think a chimney sweep is a symbol of good luck at weddings in England, and that is what enchanted the bride so much...but that was one extraordinary friend of the groom to carry out the theme like that.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

The worst wedding I ever attended was my brothers-to his first wife.

They got married in Atl in 1997 in January, which in intself is fine, but we lived in Texas and havng just graduated from college in May the previous year, I didn't have that much money. Now this is the easiest part of the story, and there is a backstory involved.

Backstory: While my brother was in college, my uncle had gotten him involved into some weird shit! Weird as in the vesteges of this is some BULLSHIT and you mean to tell me, people ACTUALLY BELIEVE this? So my BBB was heavily vested into this cult thing and this had become his way of life and he was pissed at me because when I graduated from college, he wanted me to join and I didn't.

Push forward to Sept of 96. I'd met my to be SIL in Sept of 96---ONLY because when I graduated from 'Dega in 96, I had asked my Bigheaded Big Brother (who was living in Atl at the time) to keep some of my belongings until I was able to get a job and send for my things. Cool, fine, whatever--he comes and gets them. Well by June of 96, I had found a job and sent the fool a 100 dollar money order to ship my crap via my friend (Greyhound). Well by Sept, the BBB still hasn't sent my stuff and I'm like WTF!

So with my crazy tail, I say I will go and get my shit! I had 3 days off from work, get paid that Wed, go to Greyhound, get a trip and am in Atl by Thurs. I go to BBB's job to ask about my crap! Well lo and behold, here comes this receptionst from the desk and I ask for BBB. She says well, yes, he's here, who can I say is asking for him. I tell her it's his sister and I need to speak with him. I'm not really catching on, but she is shooting my some crazy looks and goes and gets BBB.

Well suffice to say, BBB comes out and is pissed with me and the arguement ensues. "What are you doing here, why are you here?" "I'm here b/c I want my stuff, I sent you the money, what's YOUR problem?" "Why are you at my job, you shouldn't be here. You need to go home." "Ok, I'll go home, but WITH my money and my crap" As you can tell, it's your normal brother and sister argument. Lo and behold, this same receptionist comes from around the corner and is looking back and forth between BBB and myself.

Now if you know siblings, there are some features that you can look at and tell that they are siblings or relatives, and we happen to fall into this category with the exception of two categories: height and weight. I'm short as hell and he's tall as hell and I'm a big girl and he's a skinny bird! But, we are both day glow bright, have the same facial features, both have curly hair, and wear glasses, and both look like we belong to the same sets of parents, with a few exceptions.

Anyways, I digressed. This receptionist person comes from around the door, corner, booth (don't know where and don't care) and grabs ahold of BBB and gives me the Up-Down-All Around over look that is filled with contempt and the way she grabs him, it's for dear life and to ensure that I'm not gonna steal "her" man. With this look, it grabs ahold of my attention to the point that I ask BBB "Who is this WOMAN staring at me?" BBB says, "Oh libra, that's XYZ, that's my fiancee." I then return the same look to XYZ chick because he then says to her "XYZ, this is my sister, libra."

Anyways, after the argument, we go to his apt, get my shit, and put it and me on the same bus back to TX. As I get on the same bus (I'd just left it about 2 1/2 hrs ago, the bus driver asks, "didn't I just drop you off, and I tell him, yeah, and now I'm going back."

So in Dec, we (me and our Mom) get an invitation from BBB and XYZ. O.K. and in the invite, it has that they are registed at Crate and Barrel. We'll as I work in Dallas, I go to C and B and get the list to see what they are registered for. It's some of the fugliest crap I've ever seen, but I buy a few things for them for me and Mom. In Jan, Mom gets the hotel room, I make my dress, Mom makes hers (no, we have no IDEA of their color scheme) and gets her hat. The day that Mom and I are to go, my Aunt (her sister) has to pick me up from work as Mom is at work. I get sick as a dog in the middle of a July heat in the deserts of Arizona. But I go anyways.

Me and Mom's drive down there. I'm sick as hell going. My stomach is flying up, down, and around, but it's not where it's supposed to be. My cough is sounding like I have TB and I feel like a great pile of goat shit all the way down there. Going is no prob, Mom's drives all the way.

We get there, and that night is the rehersal dinner. Mind you, Mom's doesn't know jack doodly squat about Atl and BBB is no help (matter of fact, a seeing eye dog would've been more help than him). Mom tells me to stay in the hotel to get better and she'll go. Fine, OK, I'm feeling like goat shit still, not a great big pile, but it's still there. Mom's goes and returns to tell me about it.

It's at their apartment. To be SIL is just now meeting Mom's and her eyes pop when she sees our Mother. Now, to explain, most people, when they see our Mother have the same expression. Why, because our Mother is 6' 1" tall and is a beautiful cocoa nut brown complexion. Again, we are day glow bright colored (like toffee, but with a little more milk added), so that just filps people out, why I don't know. Anyways, to be SIL makes a comment about Mom's that I hear about the next day that almost makes me want to jump on her ass and beat the shit outta her. She tells her sister or one of their friends (not sure who), that our Mom's is "too dark." Mind you, I meet her Mom, Step-Father, and sister the next day. Her mom is the same complexion of ours, her Step-Father is white, and her sister is the Ebony. I'm like "no the Bitch didn't." At the rehersal dinner, it's a bit crazy (I don't remember all too damn long ago), but I know that Mom's told me she was upset about one of the items from C and B was broken that I'd bought for them.

The wedding (if you can call it that). Mom's looks splendid in her magenta dress and hat, I look good in my royal purple outfit, and my BBB, looks crazy. The bride needed help getting dressed, but her dress was o.k. My brother was in a white tux, but didn't want to talk to our Mom's for more than 5 minutes and was being a complete asshat about that. (He wanted to convert Moms--wasn't going to happen).

The Ceremony is at a local community center that you had to freaking find to get too. BBB had included the directions, but they weren't good, did I say he was bieng an asshat? The room only had folding chairs on both sides of the room (that were so flimsy, that I felt if I sat down in one, my ass was going to be sitting on the floor within 5 minutes and I didn't sit down during the ceremony). It only had two tables that were up, one for the cake (with no topper) and one for the gifts, and the only other decorations were: the palm trees in the room itself, the isle runner, and my brothers boom box which served as the DJ. The ceremony was done by one of the "leaders" in his organization and to this day, I'm not sure if the thing was legal. They exchanged rings, gave a kiss, and then cut the cake, that I don't believe that we ever got a piece of. There was a couple of plates of cheese and crackers, some bottles of 7-up, and some bowls of mints and nuts. Then we had to wait for them after the "ceremony" to go to the reception, because they had to clean up the "ceremony site" in order to get their deposit back.

The reception was held at Ryan's. YES Ryans. Me and Mom's were limited on funds and you had to PAY for YOUR OWN food. What The HOLY Hell? I didn't eat much and neither did Moms. We left after about 45 minutes of the reception because whatever I came to Atl with, I kindly passed on to Mom's.

We left the next day. Mom could only drive for an hour and I took over the rest of the way. I remember falling asleep on the way back in Mississippi and in Louisiana (yes, while driving). I remember in Alabama, I stopped for gas at this crazy gas station. When I entered, you could hear a pin drop and I think one of the patrons stopped eating cold turkey. Suffice to say, even though I had to pee BADLY, I got the gas and got the **(^*(^((*^ outta there, real quick. In Louisiana, I woke up while driving only because I heard a state trooper passing the car faster than I was (We were going around a curve and I was doing 95). I discovered why LONGVIEW, TX is called Longview and mind you, it started to rain, and the damn windshield wiper (on the drivers side) stopped working.

I tell you I was NEVER so happy to see this happy hamlet where I live now.

The marriage lasted about 5 years (don't really remember, didn't like SIL) and he's now married to another one that I don't like.

Last edited by libramunoz; 06-07-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

This would have vastly improved several weddings I have attended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=SzbiqPJBATc#!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
This would have vastly improved several weddings I have attended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=SzbiqPJBATc#!
IU fraternity alumni representing! I know a couple of these guys and they're hilarious. Can't wait to see what other videos they have up their sleeves
Old 06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
All this Communion talk is super interesting and confusing and makes me kinda glad I'm an atheist ........
/hijack/ Thought this was interesting considering your screen name /end hijack/
Old 09-23-2012, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

My SIL (Hubby's sis) got married this weekend. Short simple, to the point, that was the most podunk, backwoods, whitetrash, ghetto, n----- wedding I've ever witnessed. Yes, it was an inter-racial marriage, and no, I do not have a problem with that, however, the actions and attitutdes of the events that transpired - well.... yeah.). Her new husband is an amazing person. He's good for her, he's good to her - they are perfect for one another. That being said, my husband's family is.... well, different. He was an apple that fell a LONNNNNG way from the tree, and this weekend simply mortified us.

His sister has been a single welfare mom for several years. She has no money. Just stating the facts. Her wedding was 4 hours away on the beach. The wedding invitation was simply a post card with a picture the two of them had done at the walmart photo studio. It's not a very good picture, but it's the best one they had of the 2 of them. Fine, that's cool. I understand saving money on wedding invitations if you're having a small destination wedding.

Months go by. The last week in August, I realized I never heard a peep about any bridal showers. So I call my MIL so ask "Hey, is anyone doing a bridal shower for X?" Nope, no bridal shower. There were no attendants, so no MOH to throw a shower for her. So, trying to be the good SIL that I am, I asked MIL if we should put one together for her? X and Hubby-to-be did not have a gift registry. Didn't care to do one. They just wanted cash and gift cards from everyone. I called SIL to ask her if she WANTED a bridal shower. She said yes, but that she wasn't doing a registry. So I struggled to come up with a decent FB invite for a bridal shower for lunch time the day of the wedding, since everyone would be in town. I only did this after I confirmed that the lunch time bridal shower would not interfere with her getting her hair or makeup or anything like that done before the ceremony.

So I find a restaurant for us to have the shower at. There were 8 people in attendance. Myself, the bride, MIL, Bride's aunt, and Grandmother,and 3 ladies from the groom's family. The theme was Pots and Panties - so that people could bring lingerie if they wanted to, or traditional gifts if that worked better for them.

I was the ONLY person who brought a gift. Her mother, (my MIL) said "her gift is coming from her dad and I later." Aunt gave her a gift card before the shower, and granny didn't give anything. For his family, the 3 ladies were confused somehow and were under the impression that I was a lingerie consultant and that they were going to buy lingerie FROM ME to give TO THE BRIDE. I have NO IDEA where that confusion came from. Certainly not from the invite. So... they gave her cash and told her to go buy herself something with it. Good grief. Podunk ghetto people, don't you know what the purpose of a shower is? Oh, and the bride didn't even bother to tell me thank you for the gifts I did get her.

Next was the ceremony. The beach location is a popular wedding spot. There were 3 other weddings happening at the same time. All of those weddings had arches and seats and ceremony set ups. The one I attended had nothing. X wanted absolutely NOTHING traditional about her wedding. And that's cool. What she had made her happy, and that's what matters. For me, it was a little weird. Everyone just stood around huddled like a football crowd. Walking around taking pictures while the minister said his piece. It was cool.. but like I said, for me, it was a little weird. As far as pictures.... she had no family pictures made at all. I take that back - she had no family pictures made with her side of the family. She made pictures with him and her daughter, and her and his family, but no pictures with her and her family (her brother - my hubby, or her parents, or the family that came out from California or anything). There was no music.

Next was the "reception" if you can call it that. This was the worst part of the whole evening. It was at a local family seafood restaurant. Hubby and I KNEW that it was going to be one of those "order and pay for yourself" kind of things. We were prepared. We walked in and in at least 4 different places throughout the restaurant, there were signs posted for the buffet costs. Breakfast and lunch was $9.99, Seafood Dinner Buffet was $21.49. The signs were CLEARLY POSTED EVERYWHERE. Hubby and I took one look at the buffet, and chose to order something less expensive off the menu. Every. single. other. person with the wedding bolted for the buffet.

When the checks came, people started murmuring about the price, and started ranting and raving. So, bride talks to the manager. Apparently, everyone else was under the impression that the buffet was only $9.99. We didn't arrive until 7pm, there was absolutely no way that it could have been mistaken for lunch time. So, my cheap ass, welfare-card-carrying SIL pitched a hissy fit to the manager, who, in an effort to make the bride and her guests happy, cut the price for 40 something people to only $9.99. And the bride told everyone that gratuity was already included. I checked my bill. No, it wasn't. So I can guarantee that the poor waitress got screwed, just as the restaurant got screwed by this party.

My cheap ass FIL came up to us after he received his "corrected" bill and asked us if ours got corrected, and I said "Actually, no. We read the signs that are posted in 4 different places throughout the restaurant and clearly understood that the buffet was $21.49 per person before we ordered, so therefore, we ordered off the menu." Then hubby escorted me away before giving my FIL a chance to respond to my bitchy comment. My FIL is a cheap bastard. I guess my SIL comes by it naturally. Of course, after granny didnt get anything for her for the shower, I guess it truly runs in the family.

I was mortified. No, it's not my place to worry about what they do. I understand that they don't have much money, but in an effort to minimize her own cost, she's chose to have a beach destination wedding, making her guests pay for travel and out of town accommodations, and they also had to pay for their own meal. If we hadn't seen something we wanted on the menu, hubby and I would not have eaten there, and would have eaten somewhere else later, so that's really not a big deal. However, Hubby and I had to pay for boarding for our pets while we were gone this weekend. We weren't going to drive town until Saturday morning and arrive just before the wedding and only stay overnight 1 night. Because of the AWFUL shower, we went down Friday night, paid for one more nights hotel stay, and one more night of boarding for our pets, and the shower was a complete flop. I wish I hadnt tried to do the "right thing" by hosting a shower for the ungratfeul little bitch.

We didnt even want to go. We knew it was going to be awful, but we also figured we would never hear the end of it if we didn't go. I SO wish I could have my damn weekend back. What a complete waste of my time and money.